www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Pool Controller and Interface Plug-ins > Pool Controller and Interface Discussion > AquaConnect (3P)

AquaConnect (3P) Discussions related to the AquaConnect pool controller.

Old January 16th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Seer Plus

AquaConnect Plugin Overview

Description:

A plugin designed for HomeSeer users who have a Goldline Controls (by Hayward) swimming pool controller and the Aqua Connect Serial Home Automation Interface Module (AQ-CO-SERIAL).

Basic Features:
  • Creates Devices for all controller buttons
  • Creates additional virtual devices not found on the pool controller (useful for Events):
    • Pool temp
    • Spa temp
    • Chlorinator Setting
    • Spa Heater Setpoint
    • Pool Heater Setpoint
    • Salt Level
    • Heater Status
    • Filter Pump Status (displays speed and RPM for multispeed pump configurations)
    • Solar Temperature (if have Solar Heater installed)
    • Salt Cell Temperature
    • pH and ORP (if have Sense and Dispense unit installed)
  • Has macros for single button adjustments to Spa/Pool heater set point (amazing this feature is not built into controller)
  • Mobile device friendly control screen accessible through HomeSeer with real-time device status.
  • User can configure control screen to display Spa Heater Controls and individual Auxiliary Devices
  • User selectable option to log AquaConnect device changes

Requirements:
  • HomeSeer Version 3.0.0.0 or higher must be installed.
  • Hayward Aqua Logic or Pro Logic models PS-4, PS-8, PS-8V, and PS-16 pool controllers (with compatible firmware) ***MUST BE "PS" Series Model***
  • AquaConnect serial home automation interface module (model AQ-CO-SERIAL). Note: Plugin is NOT compatible with AquaConnect Home Network (AQ-CO-HOMENET)

ScreenShots:

Global Plugin Configuration:

Device Customization:

Control Screen:

Example HSTouch Screen Created with Plugin Devices:

Last edited by Mister2t; May 12th, 2016 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Updated list of features
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thumbs up Praise you!

Well, I think this will be my ticket to finally moving over to HS3!!! I have HS3 but I have been still running HS2 as I have been waiting for plugins for Insteon Thermostats (solved) and the Goldline controls. I have been using Pete's awesome plugin for HS2 for some time.

I will give this a whirl... THANK YOU!!!

-BD
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Seer Plus

Thanks BrunDog. Happy to be the catalyst to push you over the edge to HS3 Let me know how it goes with AquaConnect or if you have any suggestions for improvements.

Cheers!

Mike
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Seer Deluxe

Boom!

Up and running! My 1st plugin, and so my (likely slow and laborious) transition to HS3 begins. Thank you!!

I do have one question. My setup has the aquaconnect interfaced to a Global Cache serial -> network adapter. Then, on the server, I have a virtual com port set up, and your plug-in communicates through that. This prevented me from having to run a hardwire from the pool panel outside into the house and generally works beautifully.

However, every once and again, magical electronical gremlins throw murphy's law dust on my setup, and the somewhere the transmission halts. I think it is a virtual com port software problem as the hardware never needs addressing. I have a watchdog script that runs once an hour (or more if desired) in HS to make sure the data is updating. Specifically, I check that the LCD display has updated recently. If it doesn't, HS runs another script which stops the plugin, kills the virtual com port app, restarts the virtual com port app, then restarts the plugin.

So my specific question is... what is the script code required to stop and start your plugin? Looking through the (new) help file, I do not see anything generic. The function was specific to the goldline plugin I previously used.

Thanks in advance!

-BD
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Seer Plus

I did a quick test and use an event script to try to stop my plugin using a call to the "ShutdownIO" plugin API function...

Code:
hs.PluginFunction("AquaConnect", "", "ShutdownIO", nothing)
which successfully shuts down the AquaConnect plugin, however it appears as though HS3 senses that the plugin executable has stopped and then attempts to restart it immediately.

I will have to do a little checking to see how we can prevent HS3 from automatically attempting to restart the plugin.
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Seer Plus

BrunDog,

I found a solution which I tested to work fine...

"Jon00 Plugin Enable/Disable utility for Homeseer 3"

If you install his Jon00PluginSet.vben script and call it with an event using

Sub or Function: "Main"

Parameters: "AquaConnect;0" to disable
or
Parameters: "AquaConnect;1" to disable

Hope this helps!

Mike
Old June 26th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Seer Master

This may make me too lazy to port my own plug-in to HS3 (something I've been putting off for six months now). I have a question, however:
Can you detect and report the pH and ORP levels when the chemical sense option is added to the Goldline?

Best,
Pete Tompkins
Old June 27th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Seer Plus

Hi Pete,

If the display periodically cycles through and indicates the ph and ORP levels, then I would be able to capture that and display it on Homeseer devices. I would just need to know exactly what the display shows so I could detect when it is being displayed and capture the data. Since I do not currently have the pH and ORP sense, then I would need to rely on you to provide that info. I would also need to add a new configuration option to turn that feature on/off. Let me know and I will be happy to help integrate this functionality.

Cheers,

Mike
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Seer Master

pH and ORP

Mike,
My pool is out of commission right now, but as soon as the plaster guys leave and it is full of water again, I will capture the display.

Thanks,
Pete
Old August 31st, 2014, 12:26 PM
hormoth

Just can't get it to go :)

Hi Everyone. Thanks for all the great support here. I am trying to set up my HS3 system and started with the aqua connect plugin. It seems awesome and am sure the problem is operator error so looking for some help. Getting status of all devices. No display. No control. Sees change in device when I initiate from local panel. controller is a Aqua logic version 2.8 I am running a windows 7 machine with a usb to serial cable. Driver is set to 19.2kbps, (don't have the option for start bit), 8 data bits, no parity, 2 stop bits, no data flow, tried no fifo and with fifo set to a low speed. Getting status of all devices. No display. No control. Sees change in device when I initiate from local panel. Have the aq co serial wired in out at the panel on a very short cat 5 line. Tried many different configurations but this is it. Any thoughts? Thanks again!
Old August 31st, 2014, 07:30 PM
Seer Plus

Sorry you are having trouble hormoth. Which model controller do you have?
Old June 1st, 2018, 12:47 PM
Seer Plus

Hi Amit. The plug-in requires the use of a serial port. However, I believe the global cache wired and wireless IP to serial converters actually result in a virtual serial port which you can use to configure the plug-in. I used the wired ip to serial converters in my setup. Check out the manual for the converter.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old June 1st, 2018, 03:19 PM
Seer

Hi Mike,
That sounds promising but my Homeseer PC only has USB and ethernet ports. How can I create a virtual COM port that will send commands via ethernet?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Amit
Old June 1st, 2018, 05:29 PM
Seer Plus

I used a software program called Virtual Serial Ports Emulator from http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html to create a virtual COM port and a TCPConnector to the IP address and port of the globalcache device.

Old June 1st, 2018, 05:35 PM
Seer

Aha, amazing. That fills in the missing pieces for me! Thank you.
Time to go shopping!
Old June 1st, 2018, 05:39 PM
Seer Plus

Great. You will need to have it configured to automatically restart anytime your computer reboots. I did this by putting the configuration file in the windows startup folder.