X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zones limit

Hello
    Quick question
    We want to implement homeseer in a home that has so many sonos that they needed to create 2 different zones (there is a limit to how many sonos you can put in one zone.

This means the users has to switch wifi connection in order to access some parts of the house.

Can everything be "united" in homeseer and be controlled without having to make changes to the wifi connection?

Originally posted by automatizame View Post
    Hello
    Quick question
    We want to implement homeseer in a home that has so many sonos that they needed to create 2 different zones (there is a limit to how many sonos you can put in one zone.

This means the users has to switch wifi connection in order to access some parts of the house.

Can everything be "united" in homeseer and be controlled without having to make changes to the wifi connection?

How many Sonos are we talking about? How exactly were they split? If they are on different subnets, the PI will only work for whatever is on the same subnet as the PC the PI runs on. You can run it on 2 PC in 2 different subnets (one of the PI would be running remotely from HS3) but you wouldn't be able to create say announcements that span the 2 PIs. You would be able to control all players such as play/pause/volume etc from one HS3, I guess you could do announcements by adding 2 actions (and linkgroups) to one event

Dirk

Comment

There are 60 sonos in the entire home
      They are literally in 2 different wifi networks
      Because of sonos limitation
      And what they want to achieve is to be able to control any room without having to switch from one network to the other in order to do so (meaning control everything though homeseer app)

Comment

Originally posted by automatizame View Post
        There are 60 sonos in the entire home
        They are literally in 2 different wifi networks
        Because of sonos limitation
        And what they want to achieve is to be able to control any room without having to switch from one network to the other in order to do so (meaning control everything though homeseer app)
        I sense that the intent is to replace the Sonos App with something else and that's not what this PI was made for. It is made for home automation and not browsing, selecting, voting etc etc. As stated before, you could run multiple (remote) instances and control start/stop etc from a single controller but I suspect that response times will be slow as well and the UX will suck. The HS controller (assuming this will be a mobile device" will "roam" between the 2 (or more) wifi networks in the house, so you either have some fancy routing going on to keep the communication local or you will be going through MyHomeseer and now all commands (and responses) will have quite a roundtrip delay. I suspect that people who have homes that need 60 Sonos players and can afford those will have high expectations and I'm pretty sure using HS as a substitute for the Sonos App won't cut it even close. Just my 2 cents . If I'm wrong, there are postings how you run PIs remotely, just put a PC on each subnet, run the PI remote and all players will show up under your "central" HS3 controller.

Dirk

Comment

Working...
        X