Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Wave Alarm System Integration (a cautionary note)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Alarm System Integration (a cautionary note)

We get calls daily from folks looking to integrate their Z-Wave enabled alarm systems with HomeSeer. Usually, these calls are prompted by users who've outgrown the basic automation capabilities of those systems and they're looking features they don't currently have. These calls are not fun to field as we usually end up being the bearer of bad news. The problem, in a nutshell, is that these systems are not built with integration in mind.

In a typical HomeSeer system, HomeSeer functions as the primary controller for the home and the alarm system is a sub-system. HomeSeer controls the lighting, thermostats (and other sub-systems) and also can monitor and control the alarm panel. The alarm system can be monitored professionally to provide the highest level of security and HomeSeer provides redundant monitoring as well as whole-house (multi-protocol) event triggering. This is ideal.

With typical Z-Wave enabled alarm systems, the panel itself is the primary controller for the home and integration with other controllers is not possible. HomeSeer is unable to monitor or control these panels and the attached Z-Wave devices are also inaccessible to HomeSeer. Systems that work this way include ADT Pulse, Honeywell Tuxedo, GE Simon, 2GIG and others.

So, if you're considering the purchase of a Z-Wave enabled alarm system, use a little caution. Take some time to evaluate the automation functions of the system and be sure it meets your present and future needs. If you're not sure about that, we recommend looking at HomeSeer compatible alarm systems instead (DSC PowerSeries, Ademco Vista, Elk M1).

For those who've already invested in a Z-Wave alarm system but now wish to integrate with HomeSeer, all is not lost. In many cases, it's possible to replace the main alarm panel with a HomeSeer compatible system and use a "translator" module (like those by Resolution Products) to allow the new panel to work with existing sensors.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

This is great example where "dumb" security system is better. I have old Vista20p that only does home security. It is monitored and I use AD2USB to hook it up to HS. Now it is just another set of devices (sensors, alarm system states) that HS can see and control on top of all of my Zwave devices. They work very nicely together and alarm system is still fully functional/robust with all the backup batteries and monitored.

I can see why it is tempting to get security system with built in z-wave but this is not extensible/flexible for long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
      This is great example where "dumb" security system is better. I have old Vista20p that only does home security. It is monitored and I use AD2USB to hook it up to HS. Now it is just another set of devices (sensors, alarm system states) that HS can see and control on top of all of my Zwave devices. They work very nicely together and alarm system is still fully functional/robust with all the backup batteries and monitored.

I can see why it is tempting to get security system with built in z-wave but this is not extensible/flexible for long term.
      Perfectly stated and many of the "dumb" systems are inexpensive and can be left behind and working if you ever sell your home.

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
        The problem is... people see "Z-Wave" and think everything is interchangeable or at least compatible. This is not the case when it comes to control systems.

Comment

too bad the z-wave alarms were not developed with the use of other controllers in mind.

There are a couple z-wave controllers out there and they are making in roads with normal people.... ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
            The problem is... people see "Z-Wave" and think everything is interchangeable or at least compatible. This is not the case when it comes to control systems.
            Well the whole "Speaks Z-Wave" campaign tried to suggest that all the products would talk. as we know they might talk on some level but its far from a guarantee of interoperability

consumers are used to things working together.

Raptor
            HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
            53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
            https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

It's been a while since this was posted, what's the status quo today?

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
                It's been a while since this was posted, what's the status quo today?
                +1 a year later. Pulse just installed with what looks like a Netgear router that has Z-Wave capabilities...this is apparently what allows me to control the alarm via the Internet.

I don't need the Z-Wave controller piece, but it sure would be handy if this integrated to HS via a plug-in vs using my old AD2USB.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had three alarm systems over the last 5 years. The first was a DSC PowerSeries 1832. I ended up getting an EnvisaLink 3 card and used the 3rd party plugin for HS3 that integrated very nicely. After moving into a new home, they had put in a Honeywell Tuxedo system, but like mentioned before, the Z-Wave operability between HS and the panel was non-existent.

I as able to use a new EnvisaLink 4 device and it worked, but with Honeywell, there were some quirks with how interior motions don't report motion when the system is armed at night. I wanted to be able to use the alarm motions to trigger lights, etc., in HS, but you can't do that if the motions are in partition 1. After going through the trouble of separating all my motions into a different partition and dealing with having to enter the arm all partitions code at the end of the regular alarm pin, I decided to rip out the Honeywell and put in a new DSC PowerSeries 1832 again. This setup works flawlessly for me with the Envisalink 4 interface and plugin for HS. I even get monitoring through Eyez-On via IP for a very reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
                  X