UPB on Hometroller Zee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB on Hometroller Zee

I was wondering if UPB will ever be implemented on the Zee. Most of my equipment is UPB.

@Michelle,

Probably not unless someone writes a UPB script for the Zee.

I am running (well testing) Homeseer 3 Pro on the RPi today.

Here too most (almost all) of my light switches are UPB.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am porting more of my xAP interfaces to Linux and UPB will likely be one of them as that is also my primary lighting technology. It is implemented in VB6 and has not yet migrated to .NET so it will not be early on the conversion list.

Comment

That would be great Michael!
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

This won't work with a Zee though...it doesn't accept any other plugins.

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I do not know much about Z, but I thought the difference was that .dll rather than .exe was needed. Rich's concern was the amount of RAM used for each .exe. I have seen conditional logic for dll vs. exe in the SDK examples, but never tried to understand. I also do not have a Zee. mcsXap for HS3 does work on Linux as an exe. It is also likely that the next generation Zee will have more resources so the plugin constrain will likely go away.

Comment

Michael,
              Fair points, but doesn't help those of us with a Gen 1 HSZee!

:-)

For now, ignoring the potential holes the way I am using this, it is working, but a real pain in the rear and not very flexible. If my network goes down, I have no way of any reliability in what I am doing. Everything is just very open ended and blind in how they are interacting.

I would certainly be willing to try to mess around with mcsXap on my Zee to see if that would be the way to finally properly LINK this into my setup.

I see this is the thread for the Xap plugin:
              http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=171865
              Is there any compatibility issues running HS2 and this?
              My setup is HS2 is currently running my house. I use the HSZee JUST for Z-Wave control (little automation, but very little). HS2 triggers the Zee if it needs. And changes to ANY device are sent (via web access) to the HS2. From there, if any devices change, HS2 just behaves as it needs to.

So, would I be able to install Xap for HS2, then have interaction with the Zee (assuming that the Xap plugin actually did run).

--Dan

P.S. I am still pessimistic about this, since the version of HS3 on the Zee (at least mine) will not even let you create a webpage that access the device references to give status through that page. HIGHLY restricted (again, I understand why - the box has little resources so compromises had to be made).

P.P.S. I believe that HS made the right choice, but I think having some way to remote access device status would have made this device perfect - essentially JUST as an extended Z-Wave access point; which is really how I am using this anyway using my hacked up way to accessing this.
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

@Dan,

I feel guilty here as I suggested that you purchase the Zee for the aforementioned purpose.

That said yesterday lost the Zee for the 2nd time in a year. Looks like the it got its brains scrambled.

I was able to restore my HS directories but that was just about it. GParted did lock up the first time I tried to access it.

Wondering though if Michael could port his UPB plugin to a script (encypted)?
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Dan,
                  mcsXap runs on HS1,HS2 and HS3 Windows and HS3 Linux including RPi. I do not have specific information on how to build a plugin for Zee. To my knowledge HST does not intend to support 3rd party Zee plugins. The Zee is likely just a stepping stone in the product evolution.

xapmcsUPB runs on Windows and will work with any HS version that has mcsXap. It was developed before HST had their UPB plugin for HS2 and I do not think I have touched it since. It uses the UPstart files to obtain the configuration.

I do not think I appreciate the expectations vs. the reality of the Zee. I saw it as an entry level HS platform that could do basic lighting control with remote access. Much like one can get other players entering the smartphone home control market, but with an event engine that goes beyond the basics. Perhaps those that have second homes or other low-utilization applications would be candidates for the Zee. I did not expect the Zee to be part of an integrated HA network.

Comment

Pete,

Why feel bad? I have it performing exactly what I need. I need only spend some time making my hacked up way reliable. Then all it well.

Michael,

I think you are spot on regarding the positioning of the Zee. Since it is a RPI, I could probably use my HS3 license (which sits doing nothing) and install HS3 on my Zee. Which would then support Xap. The point (for me) was not to get UPB, but to get a reliable networked way of communicating with the Zee - as my Z-Wave box.

Right now, if my network goes down, the Zee will not try again later to tell HS2 about what changed. It gives up after 1 try. Same going the other way, if I don't get proper connection, my hacked up method gives up. It is also very complex to setup and maintain. As we all know, the more moving parts the more likely it is to fail!

Thank you BOTH for your assistance over the years. Pete, this was NOT a bad purchase. My Z-Wave network has never been more stable. My only Z-Wave issue right now is getting a warranty replacement on my Kwickset lock (as it was loose and one of the gears got ground down a bit). Michael, thank you for all the assistance in the past on my Audreys (when I used them with MCSAudrey). It was really cool and a huge learning experience on the GUTS of HS. Put me in a good position regarding HS and what I wanted regarding TOUCH interfaces. Too bad I can't get my wife to agree. She doesn't want ANYTHING, yet as soon as I install the right thing, she will use the snot out of it.

Anyway - Happy New Year to you both!

--Dan

Comment

Happy New Year to you Dan!

I just re-enabled the ZeeLite HS3 version after running HS3 Pro on it for a bit. That said moved HS3 Pro to one of my XBMC boxes (well its not running XBMC right now).
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                      X