No announcement yet.

DHCP or static

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it seems like your znet has mistakenly configured itself to an external (UZB) controller and ignoring the internal one. This capability was added at firmware rev 1.0.23 and I think it was implemented stupidly; once it decides there is an external controller it never checks again so its stuck...

If you can log in (either ssh or via HDMI/keyboard) I could guide you thru a fix. For login, see if user/password pi/raspberry gets you in.

Comment

I'm in.
      pi@3187-z-net:~$

I can call you if you want. PM me if you want or just keep going like this.

Comment

Cool.

first lets verify a few things - issue these commands

cd /var/www/Main
        more UZB.txt

- If I'm right, this will yield text: "There is no Ezzee board in this unit. There is a UZB connected."

Next,
        ls -l ser2net.x

- This should produce something similar to:
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 www-data www-data 219984 Aug 30 2016 ser2net.x

Next,
        tail -10 /etc/ser2net.conf

- look for a line starting with 2001:raw: ....
        post this line (only the part before 8DATABITS is important if you are typing it in).

Next,
        ls -l /usr/local/sbin/ser2net

- post the output; specifically interested in the date.

Depending on these results, we will be editing the line in /etc/ser2net.conf and possibly replacing the /usr/local/sbin/ser2net executable...

Comment

2001:raw:0:/dev/ttyACM0:115200

I got as far as ls - l usr/local/sbin/ser2net

ls: cannot access........ No such file or directory

I am back at pi@3187-z-net:/var/www/Main $

Comment

I do have a message that says the original config file shipped with the Upstream sources can be found in
            /usr/share/doc/ser2net/examples

Comment

You missed the leading "/":

ls -l /usr/local/sbin/ser2net

Otherwise, this confirms what I suspected -- /dev/ttyACM0 is the device for the external device. We need to change this to /dev/ttyACM0 to access the internal device. Also we will enable fixes which may help out you original problem, which were the subject of the thread I referenced earlier.

First, remove the errant file UZB.txt
              sudo rm /var/www/Main/UZB.txt

Next, need to edit /etc/ser2net.conf
              sudo nano /etc/ser2net.conf

Change the line starting with 2001:raw: to
              Code:
              2001:raw:60:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT -XONXOFF -RTSCTS
              Save and exit the editor. Note we are changing the 3rd field from 0 to 60 (which enables a timeout) and 4th field from /dev/ttyACM0 to /dev/ttyAMA0.

At this point, you should be good to go. There is an optional additional fix that may improve network interruption recovery ... please post output of corrected "ls" command from above; results may indicate one more command is needed to get this final fix.

Comment

One more thing... its still a mystery how your znet got into this bogus state in the 1st place. Lets verify there is no device /dev/ttyACM0:

ls -l /dev/ttyACM0

Hopefully this returns "file not found".

Comment

Done!

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 220384 Jun 12 2016

The answer to the final post is no such file or directory.
                  Now what restart the z-net and fire up hs3?

Comment

Amazing! How can I thank you?

Comment

Sorry, got called away at work! Sounds like your back in bizness - congrats!

Comment

No worries, you're my hero! I didn't even have to restore the network, it magically all came back on line and even ran events that would have run during the down time!

Now to think back and figure out what caused this nightmare and how to prevent it. I can reset my IOT system but not the z-net itself. I read some other posts that were linked and it seems setting up an X10 module with the z-net plugged into it might be a solution. Prevention wise, I'm going to buy a real router. Suggestions?

Hey, I used to live in Newport Beach and rode like a maniac when out there. We do have something in common although I'm thankful you're far more versed at Linux than me.

Thanks again, zwolfpack!
                        Last edited by racerfern; May 2, 2017, 08:28 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

LOL, awesome! I live right near JW airport - rode to the top of Spyglass Hill in NB this weekend in fact!

As far as routers go, I'm happy enough with a Netgear R7800 I picked up in January. Not going to win any beauty contests though!
                          Replaced a Netgear that I'd had for about 8 years, so I trust the brand well enough.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Let me guess, your z-net is connected to LAN4. I just bought the same router (on your recommendation) and I am thrilled! Thank you.

However, why does the z-net connection blink red instead of white like the others? I have the z-net direct wired along with the pc that runs HS3. Everything else goes through an 8 port switcher or wireless.

But no matter what the light blinks red on wherever the z-net is connected.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                              Let me guess, your z-net is connected to LAN4. I just bought the same router (on your recommendation) and I am thrilled! Thank you.

However, why does the z-net connection blink red instead of white like the others? I have the z-net direct wired along with the pc that runs HS3. Everything else goes through an 8 port switcher or wireless.

But no matter what the light blinks red on wherever the z-net is connected.
                              LOL - you are nearly correct - its on LAN3; LAN4 is empty! LAN1 goes to a switch and LAN2 goes to the Hometroller S6.
                              White indicates the connection is at 1000Mbps and red indicates 100Mbps. Thats the maximum speed supported by the Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Thanks, red is a disturbing color just to show a slower speed as it gives the impression of failure.

For all intents and purposes I have the same thing and my main PC (I have two windows 10 PCs) goes through the switcher as well. So far so good.

The WAF is up, so it must be an improvement.

Comment

Working...
                                X