Setup your Alexa to talk to HomeSeer In UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setup your Alexa to talk to HomeSeer In UK

I have seen some post about getting this to work so people in the UK can get there Alexa todo more complex things with homeseer like running events.

Thanks to Croccy22 for doing a guide many years ago which i was able to set mine up with, this is now out of date as amazon have changed so much.

I have recreated the steps using amazons new developers site.

Step 1 - Create / Login Amazon Developer Account

Go to https://developer.amazon.com/ and click the sign in button in the top right. Log in with your Amazon account.

Step 2 - Create new Alexa Skill

Once Logged in along the top click on the Alexa Skill Kit.

Now click on the button that says Create Skill.

Step 3 - Create New Skill

Type a Skill Name (this can be anything you like)

From the Language drop down select English UK as the language.

Leave the Model set to Custom

Click Create a Skill

Step 4 - Build the Main part the easy way

Click JSON Editior

Paste the below code (I have the Invocation Name as 'my house' which means i say Alexa, Tell my house to run event bedtime, you can change this to whatever you like aslong as its not the same as another skill enabled on your Alexa)
    Code:
    {
        "interactionModel": {
            "languageModel": {
                "invocationName": "my house",
                "intents": [
                    {
                        "name": "ParseText",
                        "slots": [
                            {
                                "name": "TextToParse",
                                "type": "HOMESEER_PHRASE"
                            }
                        ],
                        "samples": [
                            "{TextToParse}"
                        ]
                    }
                ],
                "types": [
                    {
                        "name": "HOMESEER_PHRASE",
                        "values": [
                            {
                                "name": {
                                    "value": "turn on the bedroom light"
                                }
                            },
                            {
                                    "value": "turn off the bedroom light"
                                }
                            },
                            {
                                    "value": "run the bedtime event"
                                }
                            }
                        ]
                    }
                ]
            }
        }
    }
    Click Save Model

Step 5 - Endpoints

Click Endpoint

Select endpoint type to HTTPS. In the Default Region box copy and paste the following URL into the text box: https://myhs.homeseer.com/process_echo/

Select the option "My development endpoint is a sub-domiin of a domain that has a wildcard certificate from a certificate authority.

Click Save Endpoints

Step 6 - Account Linking

Click Account Linking

Turn on 'Do you allow users to create an account or link to an existing account with you? '

Select Implicit Grant as the authorization grant type

Copy and paste the following URL into the Authorization URL text box: https://myhs.homeseer.com/echo/user_app/

Copy and paste the following into the Client ID: amzn1.application-oa2-client.d839fbb21603478dbd332ab26fc1f1f1

Click Save

Step 7 - Build Skill

Click Custom

Click Build Model

You should get a notifaction when its built

Step 8 - Getting your Vendor ID

Go to https://developer.amazon.com/mycid.html

Copy your Vendor ID

Step 9 - Setting up your Echo

Go to http://alexa.amazon.co.uk and log in.

Now click on Skills.

In the top right click on Your Skills.

Find whatever you called your skill and enable it

It will then prompt you for your MyHS username and password and a Vendor ID.

The Vendor ID is the code you got in step 8.

You should now be able to says things like "Alexa, Tell my house to run event bedtime"

To understand what this will give you the ability todo, please go to https://homeseer.com/amazon-alexa-integration/
    Last edited by Matt Powell; July 15, 2018, 11:27 AM.

Matt,

Thanks for posting your update. I have not tried it personally but I'm sure this would work just as well (with a tweak of the URL's etc) for other counties who cannot access the Homeseer Home Automation Skill.

If anyone tries this outside the UK, please post here with your changes!
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      Matt,

Thanks for posting your update. I have not tried it personally but I'm sure this would work just as well (with a tweak of the URL's etc) for other counties who cannot access the Homeseer Home Automation Skill.

If anyone tries this outside the UK, please post here with your changes!
      Hi Jon,

No problem i said i would do it for a work colleague who is using homeseer so thought i might as post on here.

Comment

Thanks for doing this as well... Just wondering - do you need to put in the phrases?

{
        }
        },
        {
        }
        },
        {

Should this matter?

I'd like to get back to using my old custom skill wake word instead of Homeseer..

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          Thanks for doing this as well... Just wondering - do you need to put in the phrases?

{
          }
          },
          {
          }
          },
          {

Should this matter?

I'd like to get back to using my old custom skill wake word instead of Homeseer..

Robert
          no you do not need them but you can add some if you like

Comment

My old dev skill was not working any more after having disabled it. Jon00 suggested creating a new one. I just created a new dev skill. I have 4 green ticks, Invocation, Intents, build model and endpoint. I had the popup build created. Its not showing on my Alexa account under dev skills. My old dev skill (which I have disabled) is showing, but not the one I have just created. (I used a different name for the new skill)

Comment

Same issue over here, with the only difference that I am from outside the UK (I use an UK account).

Comment

I have tried this twice but fail at the last hurdle, Linking unsuccesssful :-(
                Don't know what I'm doing wrong or how to work it out.

Hmmm - managed to link using my phone, browser on the PC would not work!

Comment

Is there anyone who can help us and point us in the right direction?
                  New skill not showing up under Alexa account.
                  Thanks.

Comment

I am going to have a look at mikes so i will report back once i have had a look

Comment

Hi Matt, any progress?
                      I am still not able to use my dot with the Echo Skill helper from Jon00

Comment

I am also still waiting for a way to see my custom skill. I hope one day I'll be able to use the Alexa helper again. I used to love it.

Comment

So I have a window of time to play with this - again, but after creating the skill, it doesn't really work. That is, it doesn't pick up the invocation word properly. That being, Alexa, tell/ask"Leena" for the outside temperature - this fails. But, Alexa tell Leena {pause} then I get, you have started a session with your homeseer account. What is it you would like?

Any ideas or am I really just stuck with tell/ask HomeSeer?
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                            So I have a window of time to play with this - again, but after creating the skill, it doesn't really work. That is, it doesn't pick up the invocation word properly. That being, Alexa, tell/ask"Leena" for the outside temperature - this fails. But, Alexa tell Leena {pause} then I get, you have started a session with your homeseer account. What is it you would like?

Any ideas or am I really just stuck with tell/ask HomeSeer?
                            Very strange .... I have had my custom skill working fine for some months (e.g. "Alexa, tell house to turn the heating up"), but for the last 2 weeks it now only works by saying "Alexa start house" or "Alexa tell house....pause" waiting for a reply "you have started a session with your homeseer system, please tell me what you would like homeseer to do"..... then saying"turn the heating up"

I am guessing its another undocumented and un-asked for Amazon change to Alexa.

Comment

Working...
                            X