Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squeezebox discontinued. Still worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeezebox discontinued. Still worth buying?

I am contemplating purchasing a squeezebox as one of the sources for my whole home audio with my speakercraft MZC 66. I love that it works with homeseer. I am just hesitant because it is discontinued? Should I still go for it?

Also, why no speakercraft module yet. It is clearly one of the more popular whole home audio systems.

I have a squeezebox touch and at my old job used a squeezebox radio to stream my music collection that I kept stored at home. I have a new job and can't get the radio on their network due to strict connection policies but I still stream to an app on my phone. I went with the squeezebox system because nobody else could support my 8 gig+ music collection and slow for different music to be played in different locations. Unfortunately Logitech did their usual lack of advertising job and while the system is more powerful than the other similar services, as probably you know, you can't get new players except old stock, used, and software players. if you know of a source I'm interested in getting another unit or two...

That said, if you can get a player I say go for it. I love my system even though I have not connected it with HomeSeer. I would recommend, if you use iTunes, that you export playlists out of iTunes and not read the database direct. I currently read direct but upgrades to the sender have been painful. I user iTunes because I prefer the smart playlists there. Otherwise I am not an Apple fan. Note that I have heard the EU radio/layer has been hacked to make it a squeezebox radio.

Karl
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
      Note that I have heard the EU radio/layer has been hacked to make it a squeezebox radio.
      Karl
      It's not a hack, its part of the Radio options. Have a look at the Squeezebox forum - there's plenty of detail as to why you should go for it.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/

Scott

Comment

Re: Squeezebox discontinued. Still worth buying?

Is that an upgrade/change to the software? It has been a while since I looked but I thought the UE did not connect to the old server and you could not sync playback as a result. I will have to peruse the Logitech forums later. Amazon still has some of the original devices available new though so I may be getting a duet to pay at a second zone instead of the radio.
        Karl S
        HS4Pro on Windows 10
        1070 Devices
        56 Z-Wave Nodes
        104 Events
        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
        Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I use squeezeplay on the server and use multiple usb soundcards so you have an output with speaker client for each room but I guess this involves cables and sometimes this can be the problem.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
          X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
          Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
          Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
          Scripts =
          Various

Comment

AFAIK the core O/S was changed to allow a convert to Squeeze from UE. There's still lots of speculation as to when Logi will switch off their servers but that wouldn't stop local playback or internet radio. There is no date & there may never be. I bough some 2nd hand units off eBay before the news of their demise became well known and got about 4 radio's for a song!

Scott

Comment

Working...
            X