Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can HS use Google Home for making announcements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, is it possible to use the Google Home integration for homeseer to make voice announcements via Google Home and Chromecast Audio devices in the home?

I know there are capabilities in their API to be able to do things like this, but if the current integration doesn't support this, is there a plan to implement that in a future release? It seems like the obvious thing to do.

Thanks,
    mike

I too would like to know this..

Comment

So with all the Google news, is there any more clarity on whether or not HS can speak announcements through Google home and chromecast?

thx
      mike

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post
        Guys, is it possible to use the Google Home integration for homeseer to make voice announcements via Google Home and Chromecast Audio devices in the home?

I know there are capabilities in their API to be able to do things like this, but if the current integration doesn't support this, is there a plan to implement that in a future release? It seems like the obvious thing to do.

Thanks,
        mike
        Its not direct however I have had good luck with the HomeSeer Squeezebox Plugin from Philippe Printz connected to Logitech Media Server and using the LMS Chromecast Bridge plugin to connect in GoogleHome. It took a bit to configure however it works great and also gives you the ability to play Airplay sources (i.e. Apple Music) to Google Home.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking about doing the same thing. It's definitely a lot of work to setup and configure, just to be able to speak announcements from HS which is supposed to be integrated with Home.

You do have the issue that it doesn't go back to what was playing before after the announcement completes, which is not quite the same compared with using SONOS-PI or a hardwired audio switcher.

Is this a HS todo item to make this work, or something Google needs to do?

thx
          mike

Comment

So, I would say since the characteristics of this changes depending on what is being played (stream from Apple Music through iPhone using LMS - then picks up where left off vs streamed from LMS - then restarts) it probably is the LMS. The good news is LMS has a healthy amount of settings and possible plugins that may fix the issue - there are also a few forums dedicated to LMS. Also another possibility is to script the event with "if playing then pause".... I'm not sure how far that would go.

Ideally google should just accept outbound speech or have an API for TTS. For now this works pretty well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post
              Is this a HS todo item to make this work, or something Google needs to do?

thx
              mike
              If you are asking if it's an HST or Google todo to allow announcements/alerts on the Google Home, then I believe that falls on Google and then perhaps HST (or a plugin developer). I do not believe at this moment in time that the Google Home allows for sending alerts or announcements to it directly. I've read that they will allow notifications, but it sounded more like it was just from Google themselves. Even then, Google's implementation seems to be to queue them and merely turn on the top lights to let you know you have notifications waiting instead of just blurting them out. While I like that idea for most notifications I would get from other services, from Homeseer I would like my announcements to be spoken immediately instead of Queued.

Amazon has also announced announcements/notification, but I'm not 100% sure how they will work. I think they will be real time, which is more in line with what we want. I really want to switch to Google Home because I'm heavily vested in Google Music (which I don't see Google ever putting on the Echos), but it just seems that the Echo is going in the direction I want.

Comment

Are there any updates on this functionality?
                Is there a chance GH devices will be be able to make voice announcements from HS?
                Thank you

Comment

Here you go...

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...40#post1361540

Comment

Working...
                  X