Recommendation for VSPE software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation for VSPE software

I have been using Eterlogic VSPE for many years with good reliability. However, recently it has become unreliable, requiring me manually to reinitialize the device to get the connection working again (mainly for my RFID device). I would like to change this software and would like recommendations of what to use. Thanks.
    Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

You can do a one for one serial connection today using an RPi and sertonet similar to how the ZNet device works.

Years ago with Wintel used the Quatech 4 port serial serial. Still have these but they only work in Windows and today these are not supported, not updated now in a few years. (Linux or Windows).

Searching on ebay see a Q18041 USR-TCP232-302 Tiny Size Serial RS232 to Ethernet TCP IP Server Module for around $30. These are self contained.

serial==> ethernet box ==>ethernet ==> ethernet to serial box.

What RFID device are you utilizing?

Here used to use two of the cheaper RFID devices with antennas and today using one only mounted in the attic and it works well for me. Old way here was using a cat5e to RS232 balun (did this for irrigation and RFID and W800 many years ago). Here these connections went to a Digi 8 Port Edgeport.

Serial to RJ45 balun ==> cat5e ==> RJ45 to serial balun (I had a few serial connections over 100 feet this way on the wire).
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      You can do a one for one serial connection today using an RPi and sertonet similar to how the ZNet device works...

What RFID device are you utilizing?...
      Pete:

Thanks. So, I am using cheaper RFID with BLRFID plugin. The receiver is in my garage connected to Global Cache WF2SL device, which connects to the virtual COM port. The device you suggest looks interesting, but I do not have a wired ethernet connection to my garage.

Elliott
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Yes here still using cheaper RFID / wired to an antenna in the attic and the garage is attached to the house. I have tags near the dome lights (been doing this for years now) on three automobiles.

Here went to using an old Radio shack radio monitor antenna mounted in the attic for both W800 / Cheaper RFID stuff. Range is pretty good with the antenna. I tested it a while ago and it picked up the cheaper RFID tag at the entrance of my subdivision with this antenna.

[ATTACH]68494[/ATTACH]

See this on Ebay...

Procomm-Spider-Police-scanner-home-base-station-antenna-w-50ft-coax-cable

You can also purchase a serial to wireless ethernet box on each side of the serial connection or DIY an RPi serial connection to ethernet (wirelessly) using sertonet maybe.

You can also create a wireless bridge using cheapo openwrt wireless routers and quickie paper / aluminum directional antenna in the house. I did this a few years back providing internet to the neighbor across the street (court). If the garage electrical comes from the house electrical you can also utilize a powerline ethernet device or if you have any coaxial cable between the house and the garage you can do a DECA ethernet connection for some $20 these days with two DECA devices.
        Last edited by Pete; April 30, 2018, 08:46 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

@Elliot,

There is also a hardware update posted here by Homeseer user for the cheaper RFID receiver. If I can get more information about it will post a DIY relating to doing this.

Thinking it used a MAX232 chip. The OP had just mentioned just wire in the MAX232 chip but did not get granular about it.

Been looking for the post. So far no luck.

Found this post....unrelated to the tweak...around 2009

I need a better antenna on receiver?

I use similar setup. I have 3 310/315MHz antennas in the attic that connect to a combiner and pre-amp. 1 RG6 cable down to my wiring room and active splitter (feeds the pre-amp as well). From that splitter I have short RG6 to all ther receivers. RFXCom, W800 and RFID. I have coverage almost in all corners of my 2.5 acres property.

Cheers
          Marty
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

@Elliot,

There is also a hardware update posted here by Homeseer user for the cheaper RFID receiver. If I can get more information about it will post a DIY relating to doing this....
            Pete:
            Thanks. Sounds interesting.
            Elliott

Comment

You can do a one for one serial connection today using an RPi and sertonet similar to how the ZNet device works.

Years ago with Wintel used the Quatech 4 port serial serial. Still have these but they only work in Windows and today these are not supported, not updated now in a few years. (Linux or Windows).

Searching on ebay see a Q18041 USR-TCP232-302 Tiny Size Serial RS232 to Ethernet TCP IP Server Module for around $30. These are self contained.

serial==> ethernet box ==>ethernet ==> ethernet to serial box.

What RFID device are you utilizing?

Here used to use two of the cheaper RFID devices with antennas and today using one only mounted in the attic and it works well for me. Old way here was using a cat5e to RS232 balun (did this for irrigation and RFID and W800 many years ago). Here these connections went to a Digi 8 Port Edgeport.

Serial to RJ45 balun ==> cat5e ==> RJ45 to serial balun (I had a few serial connections over 100 feet this way on the wire).
              Pete: Old thread, but once again VSPE by eterlogic requires frequent re-initializing. If I were to get Serial RS232 to Ethernet TCP IP Server Module, wouldn't I still need to use a virtual serial port emulator on the computer that has HomeSeer? Again, I am using this for BLRFID. Currently, I have an Global Cache iTach IP2SL for the serial port. If I understand correctly, the serial TCP IP server would do the same. Thanks. Elliott

Comment

If I were to get Serial RS232 to Ethernet TCP IP Server Module, wouldn't I still need to use a virtual serial port emulator on the computer that has HomeSeer?

No.

You would just need the two sides / end transievers. Been testing the 1 Watt LoRa serial transceivers for a couple of years now. They work great and reasonably priced. Very plugnplay. You would just purchase the two units, 12VDC PS and two antennas. For Ubuntu USB you would need one side to have a serial to USB cable. I'll post a picture of my RFID configuration in the garage. (here it works from the garage to the basement)
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

If I were to get Serial RS232 to Ethernet TCP IP Server Module, wouldn't I still need to use a virtual serial port emulator on the computer that has HomeSeer?

No.

You would just need the two sides / end transievers. Been testing the 1 Watt LoRa serial transceivers for a couple of years now. They work great and reasonably priced. Very plugnplay. You would just purchase the two units, 12VDC PS and two antennas. For Ubuntu USB you would need one side to have a serial to USB cable. I'll post a picture of my RFID configuration in the garage. (here it works from the garage to the basement)
                  Thanks, Pete.

Comment

Working...
                  X