Help - Nothing Works Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Nothing Works Here!

I have been asking my Homeseer buddy for four days, and now on the Homeseer Helpdesk online help for three hours just trying to get Homeseer up and running, but Homeseer does nothing. I still cannot figure out what is wrong. Here is what I have done:
    -installed Homeseer 2.1 on Home comput (XP), registered it
    -installed a phase coupler/booster at dryer plug
    -installed two X-10 modules, an outlet module and a lamp module
    -added the modules within Homeseer
    -tested modules with a plug in transmitter and remote. Both modules work properly with RF remote
    -plugged in a Smarthome PC USB Controller (Powerlink V2 Conroller 2414U)
    -downloaded updates from homeseer including the insteon plugin update
    -within homeseer setup/interfaces, checked that the insteon plugin was enabled, status says interface OK
    -checked through device manager that the USB Human Interface Device is detected, and yes two are detected in fact

BUT STILL...nothing works through Homeseer. I can't control anything through homeseer. Either from the control tab, or by setting up test events. Nothing.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

I'm going nuts. HELP!!!

Did you enable the X10 column of the Insteon Plugin via the interfaces tab and save the setting?
    Last edited by Rupp; December 22, 2006, 02:33 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes I have Rupp.

Comment

Have you tried plugging a lamp into the same outlet that the 2414 is plugged into and try to control it? Are there any errors in the HomeSeer log when HomeSeer starts up?

Comment

A lamp module does work in the same outlet.

Yes, there are errors in the log. The errors read "Could not connect to the Smarthome Device Manager Service, please check that the Smarthome Device Manager is properly installed." The next error reads "Error Initializing x10 Interface Insteon System. Exception could not connect to the SDM service. Please check that the Smarthome device manager properly installed at HSPI_Insteon.Initplugin(Int32 Mode)"

When I go to config the insteon plug in, when I click the config button, the next page reads " Insteon Plug In - Beta Version

**Unable to communicate with the Smarthome Device Manager Service**
          Please make sure that the SDM is properly installed

I'm not sure how to do this. Should I just uninstall everything and start over?

Comment

You've probably tried this already, but are you sure the interface is set up to point to the right com/usb port in HS? I'm not familiar with the particular interface you mention, but do you need to load any drivers (pre starting HomeSeer) to get it to work?

If this is a USB interface can you see it via the Control Panel?
            Nicolai L

Comment

Quick question....are the devices you are trying to control Insteon devices or x10 devices ?

Maybe you have the wrong controller for the devices you are trying to control ?

I have just x10 devices and my controller is the Powerlinc 1132U and the free plug in under the Homeseer setup screen says "Smarthome Powerlinc USB Controller" and it is version 1.0.0.7

You have to look under setup and then interfaces to see this on the Homeseer main page.

Neil
              Neil
              Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Nicolail-how do I check this? There is no device manager in XP that I can see. I had seen it before somewhere....but can't remember where. The Smarhome instruction sheet that came with the controller said that it uses the drivers already installed for windows, the human interface device (HID) drivers. Which I have seen are there (are there twice actually). If I could only remember where I saw that...

NSISMAN - I have an Smarthome Module. It is called an Insteon Poerlinc V2 USB Model 2414U. It is compatible with Insteon and X10 devices. It uses the HID USB Drivers already installed on your computer (I checked and they are there). I am trying to set up an X10 system. I downloaded the insteon plugin from Homeseer updater and it is enabled. The problem is something to do with the smarthome device manger service (SDM), whaterver that is. And I cannot figure out how to fix the problem. See two posts down for the error messeges I am receiving. Does anyone think its a good idea to unistall homeseer and reinstall all over again? I am complelety stumpted.

Comment

Originally posted by wormboy View Post
                  Nicolail-how do I check this? There is no device manager in XP that I can see. I had seen it before somewhere....but can't remember where. The Smarhome instruction sheet that came with the controller said that it uses the drivers already installed for windows, the human interface device (HID) drivers. Which I have seen are there (are there twice actually). If I could only remember where I saw that...
                  Right-click MY COMPUTER, and select MANAGE. DEVICE MANAGER is the last option under SYSTEM TOOLS.

Brian

Comment

In the HomeSeer bin/insteon folder you will see the setup program for the SDM manager. Run that and make sure there no errors. Shut down HS first.

This should run automatically when the plugin is installed, but maybe some virus or other software prevented it from being installed.

I suspect this is why you are getting the SDM errors.

Comment

Checked it, they are both there.

Hmmmm

Comment

What is both there?

Comment

Oh, sorry Rich, I was answering an earlier post that asked if the drivers were installed.

OK, I did what you said Rich and no more errors in the log. Then I went back to setup/interfaces, config of the Insteon plugin in the other column, manually add device, entered address, and this is what it says "The insteon device at 06.6A.4F did not respond. Please check to make sure the address is correct and that the device is powered-up. The device was not registered.

This controller is plugged in and the light is on on the controller, so its powered up. And the USB is connected to the computer.

I also went back in and checked the USB driver again, it says that it is enabled and up to date. The one thing I did notice though under the drivers, and tell me if this sounds like a problem, there are two USB Human Interface Devices; one is my mouse, and one is this controller. They are both plugged into a 5 port high speed usb card. The location for the conroller reads "Location 0 (SmartHome PowerLinc USBE)" and it is enabled. The location of the mouse is "Location 0 (Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 1.0A). Could this be a conflict, or is this cool?

Aside from that, the only other thing that I can think of is that when I startup windows I get this error message regarding Netropa Hotkey. But I think this is unrelated. Other than that people, I have no idea what the problem could be. Days now and I can't even operate a lamp with Homeseer! Ugggg
                          Last edited by ; December 24, 2006, 11:59 AM.

Comment

If you don't get any SDM errors on startup then the SDM should be ok. Are you trying to control an Insteon device or an X10 device? I'm a little confused, I thought you were trying to control an X10 device. What is the model # of the device you are trying to control?

In the HS Setup, Interfaces page, enable both X10 and Insteon for the Insteon plugin.

Comment

I've got it up and running at last!!!
                              Thank you all so much. All your imput helped me get here.
                              A friend of mine at HNAUSA.com helped me trouble shoot over the phone and we figured out the problem. It seems that my insteon update did not take and it was an earlier plug-in version. Must of missed it in the log entry. Now I'm good to go!
                              Again, thank you all so much for your patience and attention. What a friendly message board. I will come here often for guidance! Merry Christmas! (now my christmas lights will turn on LOL)
                              Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X