Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting behavior with GE/Jasco wireless keypad control and GE/Jasco switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting behavior with GE/Jasco wireless keypad control and GE/Jasco switches

One thing I've really liked about GE/Jasco switches is that they provide instant status. So, if I click on a switch locally, HomeSeer is automatically informed.

I've recently set up a GE 45631 wireless keypad control (secondary controller) to turn on some switches. Interestingly, when turned on via the keypad control, the GE/Jasco switches do NOT provide instant status. Another type of device, a Remotec relay, does, though (the Remotec also provides instant status). (A third type of device, a Linear/Evolve relay module, also does not, but it doesn't provide instant status anyway.)

Just an FYI if you have this wireless keypad control and are wondering why you're not getting instant status when GE/Jasco switches are controlled via the control!

Correct - the behavior of z-wave device that is controlled by secondary controller is not consistent device to device. Some still do instant status reporting (that includes aeon micro switch and cooper switches) and some don't. This is frustrating if you want to have handy local device as HS might get out of sync.

From what I noticed it seems like you have to use HAIL command (associate Cooper w/ HS using groups 255, for Aeon set parameter 80 to value 2) - in this case what happens is that on any change (caused locally or thru association) device sends notification to HS to poll it to get update. Only remotec seems to do update (or maybe HAIL, not sure) automatically as it comes out of factory.

Comment

This is good info! I was testing the secondary controller by just having the HS web page open while I was pressing buttons on the controller, and was flummoxed why I wasn't seeing the device change -- I thought the device wasn't even being controlled. Then when I went over to the device, I noticed it was changing OK.

These are polled at 20 minute intervals, so worst case is that they'll be back in sync within 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
        Correct - the behavior of z-wave device that is controlled by secondary controller is not consistent device to device. Some still do instant status reporting (that includes aeon micro switch and cooper switches) and some don't. This is frustrating if you want to have handy local device as HS might get out of sync.

From what I noticed it seems like you have to use HAIL command (associate Cooper w/ HS using groups 255, for Aeon set parameter 80 to value 2) - in this case what happens is that on any change (caused locally or thru association) device sends notification to HS to poll it to get update. Only remotec seems to do update (or maybe HAIL, not sure) automatically as it comes out of factory.
        Do you know if there is similar behavior, by the way, for GE or Evolve/Linear switches? And, is there anything special about group 255?

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
          Do you know if there is similar behavior, by the way, for GE or Evolve/Linear switches? And, is there anything special about group 255?

I think 255 is Cooper specific thing (vaguely remember someone on the message board, maybe even HS folks saying this). As mentioned remotec doesn't need any association. So this part seems to be manufacturer specific and mostly work-around Leviton instant-status patents.

Comment

Working...
          X