No announcement yet.

Computer Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering if anyone has measured the power draw for one of these minix neo z83-4's ?

Thanks,
    Neil
    Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by nsisman View Post
      Just wondering if anyone has measured the power draw for one of these minix neo z83-4's ?

Thanks,

I will have to set up my kilowatt or extra monitored outlet and see. It should be pretty minimal given the size but good question

Comment

thanks for the steps, norcalhkr and Macrosill.

Watt wise I have read between 3to6 watts Idle and up to 12W heavy load.
        Not sure what the person describe as idle and heavy load.

Would be great if you can post how much you get, and also while HS trigger a scene to see if there is any jump in Watts after homeseer send or receive commands.

As you say it would only be setup for HA nothing else.

I was also considering one of those small less expensive netbooks but I am sure they use no less than 25W in that case that would be a huge amount of Watt wasted, only good thing they have batteries for that rare event that power goes out.

Comment

any update on this minix

Comment

No news is good news.

Mine is chugging along nicely. I noticed the HS3 up time was a bit short the other day. Turned out Windows did some updates and restarted the pc. Everything started up on its own and picked up where it left off.

It has been only a short time but the short review is positive. Z-wave and X10 working well.

Comment

Originally posted by Macrosill View Post
              No news is good news.

Mine is chugging along nicely. I noticed the HS3 up time was a bit short the other day. Turned out Windows did some updates and restarted the pc. Everything started up on its own and picked up where it left off.

It has been only a short time but the short review is positive. Z-wave and X10 working well.

Same here, been chugging along nicely with no real hiccups. Wife is happy because things seem to work again. Running 80+ devices and 400 events give or take

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
                Same here, been chugging along nicely with no real hiccups. Wife is happy because things seem to work again. Running 80+ devices and 400 events give or take
                I'm thinking about doing this as I just got the BSOD on my computer running HS3. My concern with what you have is that there are no serial ports. How did you move your HS3, it's been awhile. Did you just install HS3 and then copy and paste the HS3 program folder?

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
                  I'm thinking about doing this as I just got the BSOD on my computer running HS3. My concern with what you have is that there are no serial ports. How did you move your HS3, it's been awhile. Did you just install HS3 and then copy and paste the HS3 program folder?
                  That is essentially what I did. Installed a fresh install of HS3 and all plugins. Then brought over my config file from the old install and loaded. Pretty painless on the HS3 side. There are a few posts on the forum for moving installations. I looked at a few and used those for reference. The serial ports for me wasn;t an issue because I don't use any in my setup. Could be a deal breaker though if you are.

Comment

Relating to serial ports here went to using Digi Edgeports, Digi powered USB hubs, Digi USBAnywhere devices for Homeseer 2 automation. Works great with the transition to Linux except for the Digi USBAnywhere devices. (Lantronix, Quatech stuff mixed in). Almost all of it purchased as new old or refurbished. Work stuff utilized much of the black box stuff which was just relabeled Digi/Lantronix et al type of stuff. 2nd Homeseer 2 server was legacy free with only USB ports in the early 2000's. (no printer / serial ports on it).

All of the hardware controllers here are not adjacent to the Homeseer server, rather connected via one USB (powered cabled) to the Digi stuff.

Today too running Ubuntu Linux and Oracle Virtual boxes of Wintel stuff.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
                      Do you have a link by chance to the one you picked? Also, any guess how much electricity it uses? Thx

Sorry for the delay. I've not been on for ages

Gigabyte
                      3.5 out of 5 stars 12 Reviews
                      Gigabyte Brix BACE-3150 Ultra Compact Barebone PC (Intel Celeron N3150, 1 x SATA, 1 x DDR3L, USB 3.0, IEEE 802.11 AC, Dual Band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0)

Comment

Originally posted by gd1210 View Post
                        Sorry for the delay. I've not been on for ages

Gigabyte
                        3.5 out of 5 stars 12 Reviews
                        Gigabyte Brix BACE-3150 Ultra Compact Barebone PC (Intel Celeron N3150, 1 x SATA, 1 x DDR3L, USB 3.0, IEEE 802.11 AC, Dual Band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0)

Thanks

Comment

Between Win7 and Win10, which is better for running HS3? Think Win10 auto update can't be turned off. Is that a problem?

Comment

My thought of handling this is to just stop/disable the Update service. When you want to check for updates, turn it on, manually check and update.

Robert
                            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I have a Z83-4 as well. Using WIndows, it was just a bit too slow to my liking. So I installed Ubuntu and I could not be happier. Before I used a RPi3 which was a bit too slow as well for me.

Note that out-of-the box Linux on a Z83-4 does not support WiFi, Bluetooth or audio over HDMI. Luckily, none of those are important for me.
                              stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                                My thought of handling this is to just stop/disable the Update service. When you want to check for updates, turn it on, manually check and update.

Robert
                                How did you disable it? I thought it can't be done in win10 home or pro version.

Comment

Working...
                                X