Echo vs Google Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Echo vs Google Home

Has anybody had the opportunity to test both of these devices with homeseer to see which works better? Or is there a comprehensive list of Pros/cons of one vs the other on which one will integrate and continue to integrate better with homeseer?

Which accepts voice commands better without a problem

Which one is quicker at executing commands?

What are the limitations of each?

What is the setup process for each once homeseer is running fully

following this conversation

Comment

Would like to know this too. Wish someone would comment.

Comment

I bought Alexa dot.
        Although the google home seems to be a better all rounder than echo I thought the dot was cheaper and enough for what I want. I have Sonos so wasn't bothered about the speaker.

The echo dot works flawlessly with homeseer. I'll buy 2 more shortly.
        So I'll have 3 in the house for the cost of either google home or the the Amazon echo speaker.

It is easy to set up and really small so I can hide it easily.

The cons are it won't answer some of the questions like the google system does but I bought it for voice control of certain parts of my house.

I like it a lot.

Comment

I dont have a Google Home, but the Echo and the Dots are outstanding. They are so cheap, and small, you can place them anywhere.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            I dont have a Google Home, but the Echo and the Dots are outstanding. They are so cheap, and small, you can place them anywhere.
            I completely agree. These things are so easy to setup and it's amazing how well they understand with no previous voice training and they only get better. Excellent in bed rooms and kitchens and I love the one on the deck. You should give at least one Dot a whirl and if you do not like it they resell very easily.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Alexa Dot +1

I don't need speakers...already have Sonos everywhere.
              I have 12 Dots in 2 homes and they work perfectly.

FYI, there is a Skill as they are called by Amazon, to enable replies from Google.
              I have installed the hack / skill, and I now can say "Alexa ask Google what the theory of relativity is".

Google definitely can answer more questions, but the Dot rules from size, price, and HA.

Comment

I have both, however for Home Automation I would go with the Echo/DOT every time. The DOT's are so cheap and just work. Here in the UK, they often have special offers for them and you can even get refurbished ones cheaply.

Google recently shot themselves in the foot by not allowing actions and smart home skills together (See here) whereas Amazon allow both. You can see the comparisons by looking at the Homeseer Google Integration and Amazon Alexa Integration instructions.

You cannot get Google Home to do this with the Homeseer skill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoAUQKYvlaE
                Jon

Comment

I have an Amazon Echo and Dot as well as Google Home. It really depends on what you are wanting to use them for as to which I would recommend. For Home Automation the Amazon products currently have more functionality and the Dot is really inexpensive. But they can also be very frustrating. If they loose connection back to home base they won't tell you. You simply get a response something like " I can't do that right now" or " I don't know how to do that". On the Google side if it looses connection it states that it can't access the internet, please try back later. So you will know what the problem actually is.

If you want to ask it questions and get good answers the Google Home is far superior.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
                    Alexa Dot +1

I don't need speakers...already have Sonos everywhere.
                    I have 12 Dots in 2 homes and they work perfectly.

FYI, there is a Skill as they are called by Amazon, to enable replies from Google.
                    I have installed the hack / skill, and I now can say "Alexa ask Google what the theory of relativity is".

Google definitely can answer more questions, but the Dot rules from size, price, and HA.
                    We use our Dot a lot here and it works very well.. I was thinking on getting a Google Home also - still on the fence with it. In the meantime, what is the name of the skill you're referring to here?

Robert
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I also have both. One Google Home that I've played with a bit and one Echo, one echo show and four dots. Also a FireTV and two FTV sticks. I always had issues with my Chromecasts losing network connection and just stopping playback in the middle of sogs, etc... I'll stick with Amazon's stuff for a while I think.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                        We use our Dot a lot here and it works very well.. I was thinking on getting a Google Home also - still on the fence with it. In the meantime, what is the name of the skill you're referring to here?

Robert
                        Looks like this is it. Going to take a look at it myself now.

Comment

Yes...this is the newer version: https://github.com/tartanguru/alexa-assistant

It will take you 20 - 30 minutes to set it up, but once you do you are golden.

Comment

We use our Echo to access Wikipedia, just say the wake word, then say Wikipedia.
                            Echo will read the response, like the theory of relativity.
                            Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
                            | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
                            Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
                            BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

@Jon00, Wow, how did u get your Alexa to interact with you like that? I only have mine doing basic things.

Comment

Working...
                              X