Propane Monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
    Wow I'm stoked this thread exists. We're changing propane providers in a couple weeks and I plan on using TankUtility. Nice to see some of you pioneers already went and did the hard work.
    Where in Boston are you? We have Eastern Propane and they are terrible. Switching to Haeffner's in the spring. About 35% cheaper...
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
      Where in Boston are you? We have Eastern Propane and they are terrible. Switching to Haeffner's in the spring. About 35% cheaper...

I'm actually about 45 miles south in Lakeville and just put Boston there so people quickly have a general idea where.

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
        I'm actually about 45 miles south in Lakeville and just put Boston there so people quickly have a general idea where.
        Oh yeah. We have a family beach house on the water in Wareham, so go by there in the Summer. I actually have a Znet there and a VPN to my house so I can control that house too...

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Looks like the TankUtility only takes reading once a day
          I added a few more fields to the script
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by macrho View Post
            Looks like the TankUtility only takes reading once a day
            I added a few more fields to the script
            Yeah, for the most part that makes sense as usage is often gradual.

I have a generator and when that thing kicks on, the usage can go way up.

Looks good; glad someone else is making use of it. Are you getting that propane price remotely or is that something you are manually entering?

The cheapest propane I found around here is $1.99 a gallon. My company is boning me at $2.70.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

They are talking about -30 this weekend, hopefully that doesn't happen
              Last time the power went out at around -20 and the generator didn't kick on
              I manually entered the propane price
              I modified your code to retrieve the device id so I shouldn't have to touch the code again (or until their API changes)
              I wonder how much work it is to create a plugin. I'm not a vb.net guy but can work my way through it, more or less

Comment

I don't think their API will change much. It is published, so usually if they were to modify it, they would add to it. I think I read there was talk about reporting battery status. That can be kind of tricky.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

The ability to temporarily increase the reporting frequency would be a nice touch. Something that basically says "Decrease time between reports to X hours for the next Y reports." As someone mentioned if you're running on generator you may want a bit more vision into how you're doing if it is an extended power outage. Or just look at the gauge I suppose... but what fun is that?

Comment

I think there is a spot on it which will cause it to issue a reading if a magnet passes over it. Might be possible to have a little electro magnet fire from HS. Maybe a 9 volt battery might be needed...

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Multiple tanks...

Hi guys. So glad I found this script.

What do you do when you have multiple tanks? I have 3 and want to get them all into HS.

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

You can retrieve a list of devices associated with your account. Here's the documentation: http://apidocs.tankutility.com/#devices

Or you could set up 3 separate scripts with unique names for each measure

I only have one tank so my script doesn't iterate over the devices

Comment

Comment

I have mine as:

Dim userpass As String = "someone@somewhere.com:mysupersecretpassword"

why not run through a HS event? make sure you have the DLLs referenced correctly as in previous posts

Comment

Originally posted by macrho View Post
                              I have mine as:

Dim userpass As String = "someone@somewhere.com:mysupersecretpassword"

why not run through a HS event? make sure you have the DLLs referenced correctly as in previous posts

Comment

I retrieve the device IDs each time:

Dim deviceQuery As String = hs.GETURL("https://data.tankutility.com/api/devices?token="+ token, "", False, 80)

Though you can just as easily hard code it, grab your token, append it to the call above and you can retrieve your device IDs

Comment

Working...
                                X