Anyone want to help me set up pfSense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone want to help me set up pfSense?

My router died this morning. Ugh. I have a SuperMicro system that I bought for pfSense but got overwhelmed and went back to my trusty E2000. Now I'm wanting to get the pfSense system up and running. No clue where to begin. My system has a 4 port nic but I don't know which one is 0 and which is 3. I plugged one cable into the modem and one into my switch and nada. The Auto detect WAN feature doesn't work. Any one have any ideas?
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

PM sent.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
      My router died this morning. Ugh. I have a SuperMicro system that I bought for pfSense but got overwhelmed and went back to my trusty E2000. Now I'm wanting to get the pfSense system up and running. No clue where to begin. My system has a 4 port nic but I don't know which one is 0 and which is 3. I plugged one cable into the modem and one into my switch and nada. The Auto detect WAN feature doesn't work. Any one have any ideas?

Is there an option in the BIOS to flash the port link lights? There is on my Qotom.
      cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
        Is there an option in the BIOS to flash the port link lights? There is on my Qotom.

I figured it out eventually. I suppose I was a bit distracted as I was on the phone at the same time, albeit listening to hold music............

So now I have pfSense up and running. I'm still trying to make it do all of the things my DD-WRT router did but I'm getting excited about the possibilities. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding cool things I can do with pfSense that I couldnd't do with DD-WRT?

Comment

I figured it out eventually. I suppose I was a bit distracted as I was on the phone at the same time, albeit listening to hold music............

So now I have pfSense up and running. I'm still trying to make it do all of the things my DD-WRT router did but I'm getting excited about the possibilities. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding cool things I can do with pfSense that I couldnd't do with DD-WRT?
          I use pfSense too, but mostly basic stuff.

Take a look at Pete's how-to thread.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...96#post1364396

Comment

Originally posted by AutomatedJim View Post
            I use pfSense too, but mostly basic stuff.

Take a look at Pete's how-to thread.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...96#post1364396

Yes! Thank you! I had forgotten about that thread.

Comment

Comment

I can't for the life of me get any kind of port forwarding to work and I'm beginning to get pretty frustrated. These things are so much easier in DD-WRT and also..... THEY WORK!

Right now I'm really wanting to get PHLocatioin working again. I have followed guides on setting up port forwarding over and over again to no avail. In the log I can see the incoming connection attempt but still can't reach my HS system. Has anyone been able to get PHLocation working with PFSense?

Comment

I can't for the life of me get any kind of port forwarding to work and I'm beginning to get pretty frustrated. These things are so much easier in DD-WRT and also..... THEY WORK!

Right now I'm really wanting to get PHLocatioin working again. I have followed guides on setting up port forwarding over and over again to no avail. In the log I can see the incoming connection attempt but still can't reach my HS system. Has anyone been able to get PHLocation working with PFSense?

You can PM me if you like. Also, is your HS3 server windows based? If so you may need a windows firewall rule to allow the public traffic through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah it's Windows. I already have that firewall rule there. I've been successfully using PHLocation since it was first released so I know it's on the router side of things. I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks!

Comment

cheeryfool

Comment

Mentioning here using PFSense Easy Rule to configure ports on your PFSense box.

1 - utilize your cell phone on the internet to test.
                        2 - go to StatusSystem LogsFirewallNormal View
                        3 - look for your PHLocation trying to connect to Homeseer
                        4 - on the destination side hit the plus box and add an easy rule.
                        5 - test it
                        6 - rename the Easy rule to something like PHLocation.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Comment

Yep! I'm up and running with pfsense now. Thanks to Kerat and Pete for all the help. Without it there's absolutely no way I'd have been able to get this working.

So now that I'm stable does anyone have any recommendations of cool things I can do with pfsense? I just set up my VPN service to run on the router instead of needing to run a client on each system in the house which is pretty cool. I'm really interested in ad blocking. With DD-WRT I used this pixelserv operation and it worked fabulously: https://www.howtogeek.com/51477/how-...erv-on-dd-wrt/

@Kerat, I'd be quite interested in your write up! I've heard pretty interesting things about Pi-Hole.

Thanks again everyone! This forum is great. You guys are all great. I hope that I can be helpful to some people in the future as well.

EDIT:

What do folks think of this guide?:

https://www.linuxincluded.com/block-...ockerng-dnsbl/
                            Last edited by S-F; May 11, 2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Here using pfBlockerNG. Very nice stuff and uses MaxMind's DB.

Easy to read guide you posted. Remember baby steps.

Typically most of the plugins have default settings which work and you can hover over the help on the page to get some details.

Default here using Snort, Squid, UPS, failover WAN, DNS Resolver (it is enabled by default), IPSec VPN, UPS, NTP (with PPS - GPS), ClamAV....

Many folks are using OpenVPN these days. Years ago it was really a PITA. PFSense has made configuration of VPN much easier.

You currently have 4 network ports to tinker with. You can configure the LAN ports as separate test networks and have them talk to each other. With a managed switch you can also do similar with VLANs.

Here when updating shut off RAM cache as it makes for an easy upgrade. When Upgrading PFSense version glance at the console for some detailed stuff as I noticed sometimes the gui update page doesn't update as fast as the console .
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X