No announcement yet.

Z-Net Wifi functionnality question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zwolfpack, I like the idea!!! Specially that I will be using it in Wifi mode to add device mostly and the rest of the time it will be connected to an Ethernet cable for better connectivity...

I will set it up and let you know the results!

Comment

Okay, done it and here are the behaviors:

When power on with Ethernet cable plugged, only the Ethernet 10.10.10.23 come up, If I unplug the cable.. Wifi is not coming up automatically!

When power on with no Ethernet cable, wifi come up, if plug in the Ethernet cable, Ethernet come up and wifi still up. Then I finally see the oddly behavior in my router!

if from this state I re-disconnect/reconnect the Ethernet cable, Wifi still up and Ethernet goes down/up accordingly!

Basically, at power ON of the unit, if no cable it will fired up the Wifi for ever, if there is a cable it won't fired up the Wifi for ever!

At first I was under the impression that if it is power ON with a cable it will only use the Ethernet, but if cable get unplugged then it will start Wifi, which is not and vice-versa!

Comment

Hmmm, that's not right. Check if ifplugd is running:

Code:
        $ service ifplugd status
        ● ifplugd.service - LSB: Brings up/down network automatically
           Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/ifplugd)
           Active: active (running) since Sat 2017-09-09 23:57:46 PDT; 5 months 2 days ago
           CGroup: /system.slice/ifplugd.service
                   ├─914 /usr/sbin/ifplugd -i eth0 -q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I
                   └─934 /usr/sbin/ifplugd -i wlan0 -q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I

Comment

Here is my output

Code:
          pi@MainZNETv2:~ $ service ifplugd status
             Active: active (exited) since Sun 2018-02-11 17:48:59 EST; 1h 3min ago
            Process: 753 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/ifplugd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
          In the default ifplugd configuration this line was ARGS="-q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I", should I put all arguments instead of just "-I" like you pointed?

Comment

What does /etc/default/ifplugd look like? These two lines need to be changed from the distribution

INTERFACES="auto"
            HOTPLUG_INTERFACES="all"

Yes, change the ARGS line back to what it was originally. I think I posted the one from the newer OS. Sorry!

Comment

Those two lines are there correctly.... Going to put it back and test it...

Comment

Okay, here are the behaviors:

When power on with no Ethernet cable, wifi come up, if plug in the Ethernet cable, Ethernet come up and wifi still up. Then after a minute or so, I finally see the oddly behavior in my router!

If from this state I re-disconnect/reconnect the Ethernet cable, Wifi still up and Ethernet goes down/up accordingly! So far so good!

When power on with Ethernet cable plugged, only the Ethernet 10.10.10.23 come up, If I unplug the cable.. Wifi is not coming up automatically!

If from this state I re-disconnect/reconnect the Ethernet cable, Wifi still down and Ethernet goes down/up accordingly!

Basically, at power ON of the unit, if no cable it will fired up the Wifi for ever, if there is a cable it won't fired up the Wifi for ever! Still pretty much the same!

What should be the behavior zwolfpack?

My ifplugd status still the same with the new arguments:
                Code:
                   Active: active (exited) since Sun 2018-02-11 19:20:02 EST; 41min ago
                  Process: 848 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/ifplugd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Comment

ipflugd isn't running, which is a problem.

Try starting it manually,
                  sudo service ifplugd start

then do the status query again to see if it stays running. If so, see if disconnecting/reconnecting of the eth cable results in enable/disable of the WiFi, which is what it's supposed to do.

This problem seems vaguely familiar - I'll do some digging.

Comment

I tried: sudo service ifplugd start
                    and the status did not change.

Comment

Okay, I reconfigured it by running:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure ifplugd

Now my status show this:
                      pi@MainZNETv2:/var/www/Main $ service ifplugd status
                      Active: active (running) since Mon 2018-02-12 04:06:05 EST; 43s ago
                      Process: 8132 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/ifplugd stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                      Process: 8143 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/ifplugd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
                      CGroup: /system.slice/ifplugd.service
                      ├─8157 /usr/sbin/ifplugd -i eth0 -q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I
                      └─8174 /usr/sbin/ifplugd -i wlan0 -q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I

Comment

After a reboot I'm back with this:
                        Active: active (exited) since Mon 2018-02-12 04:09:20 EST; 1min 16s ago
                        Process: 798 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/ifplugd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Comment

Trying to start the servie I got this:

pi@MainZNETv2:~ $ sudo service ifplugd start

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
                          Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
                          #2) Think before you type.
                          #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for pi:
                          sudo: /var/lib/sudo/lectured: Not a directory

Comment

I was able to duplicate the behavior you are seeing. Unfortunately it appears that for the "jessie" OS, it only works if both interfaces are configured for DHCP. If either is static, ifplugd exits...

Interestingly, it works properly on the newer "stretch" version of the OS.

Comment

Ah, we learn something here!
                              Thanks for all your help on that, and if any patch update fix that LMK

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                                I was able to duplicate the behavior you are seeing. Unfortunately it appears that for the "jessie" OS, it only works if both interfaces are configured for DHCP. If either is static, ifplugd exits...

Interestingly, it works properly on the newer "stretch" version of the OS.
                                Quick question zwolfpack, if I want to put it dhcp, what I change in the file /etc/dhcpcd.conf?

Just remove the last lines and leave it by default? Or I need to put something for eth0/wlan0?

Comment

Working...
                                X