Virtual device not discovered by Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual device not discovered by Alexa

I have a virtual device "house" that has three states: awake, sleep or vacant.

I cannot get Alexa to discover this device even 'though I have voice control checked.

I would like to say "Alexa, set the House to Sleep".

Any ideas?

Michael
    Michael

BTW, I noticed this is in the Homeseer Skill section and not the Smart Home Skill section. An admin may want to move this to the other section.

I "think" the current smart home API only supports devices with On, Off, and Dim. (plus thermostats)

I got around this by creating three virtual devices for awake, sleep, and vacant (I use away). I have 2 events for each virtual device. When one of the virtual devices is turned "ON" a script is run to do what I want to do including turning "OFF" the other two virtual devices.

So now I just say "Alexa, Turn On awake (or sleep, or away)" and this sets the mode of the house.

You could do it with a single virtual device if you are OK using "tell homeseer to" along with Jon00's Alexa helper script.

Hope this helps,
    Ken
    Last edited by kenm; December 30, 2016, 12:07 PM.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
    X