Z-net devices required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-net devices required

I sthere a recommendation as to how many z-net devices one should have, and specifically, how many devices they would be realistically expected to control with minimal latency.

Also, is there any interference between devices on the z-wave side (I plan to use a wired interface for the network side)

Thanks

Originally posted by salasidis View Post
    I sthere a recommendation as to how many z-net devices one should have, and specifically, how many devices they would be realistically expected to control with minimal latency.

Also, is there any interference between devices on the z-wave side (I plan to use a wired interface for the network side)

Thanks
    The limit on total devices per controller is 232. I had a single Z-Net with 114 devices with no latency. I have since split my network to 3 Z-Nets, all different HomeIDs, currently with 91, 16 and 14 devices respectively. There is no perceptible speed difference between the small and large networks.

I did not split the network because of speed issues, only so that devices in outbuildings could communicate directly with their controller. I had a bunch of Jasco devices that only support pseudo instant status when communicating without hops.

While this does not directly answer your question, it does seem to show that a large number of devices has no impact on speed.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

The computational power of a Z-Net so far exceeds what's needed you will never see a bottleneck at the controller. If you think about it most Z-Wave controllers are tiny USB things. The Z-Net has more computational power than most home automation "hubs" all together with their Z-Wave controller and associated computational needs.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Thanks, I was thinking more about the turn on our off of am devices - such as when leaving the home. If however there is no perceivable delay, it would make my setup easier to have a single z-net in my computer room with a ups.

Is there any experience in terms of indoor transmission up 2 floors. (wood construction).

I once had a 900 MHz phone, and could talk with the base station downstairs from up stairs.

Comment

With a Z-Net you will have absolutely not coverage issues.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Working...
          X