Help with lights off events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I have tried this before, tried searching and couldnt find it. I remember that the most solid way was to create a manual event that shuts off the lights but I think I deleted event, set lights to shut off after x time but cant remember the exact. I did have it setup for when motion was off, shut the lights off and it works "most" of the time. Wife complains when it doesn't and I want to figure this out as I am going to start using this in more areas where I am sick of the lights being left on.

ok so my garage has the following:
    concord 4 door sensor
    23890w - x10 2 way light switch for 2 garage lights
    Intermatic Appliance module - track lighting
    MS13a - x10 motion sensor

ok so right now if you open the garage door it trips motion and turns lights on. If you walk into the garage, motion picks you up and turns the lights on.

I had it set at the motion sensor after 5minutes no activity, shut lights off which as I said works most of the time.

how would you set this up to shut the lights off?

I recall 2 events. 1 to remove delayed event, then call delayed lights shut off event.... is that still the best way?

examples please.
    Attached Files
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

For garage here utilize: (you are over engineering your events and making something simple way too complicated)

1 - dual hard wired switches on two garage doors *
    2 - hard switches on two entry garage doors *
    3 - PIR *
    4 - UPB in wall switches *
    5 - CCTV *
    6 - cheaper RFID tags in all vehicles
    7 - alarm outputs to GDO(s)*

* = connected to the OmniPro 2 alarm panel - sure bet stuff only used (no wireless anything for security).

Recently updated lighting to daylight garage lighting going with multiple LED lamps. So bright now you cannot look at them.

Lights are on a hard timer of 10 minutes unless reset with the PIR.

That said I do not leave the garage door open unless I am working on an automobile in the car - nothing is automated when I am in the garage though.

Many many years ago had an issue with a possum that got in to the garage and became difficult to get out of the garage - thus daylight in the garage.

The lighting is triggered whenever any door is opened daytime or nightime. Relating to alarm security on or off use only wired security consoles; no automation is used.

The PIR works if you leave the garage door open or any of the doors open after a period of time. I used an outdoor style PIR (which was sort of big for the garage).

TTS garage door is triggered if garage door is left open. There is a bypass button for this. If the bypass button is used and garage door closes it resets the script.

There is no direct view of the garage door (other than CCTV) inside of the house so use the sensors.

BTW you cannot really do occupancy sensing with a wireless or even wired PIR. You can purchase occupancy sensor that will help with said endeavor.

Google "occupancy sensors". It is easier to do with dual technology sensors today. (here have been switching over indoors PIRs to combo sensors).
    Last edited by Pete; December 6, 2017, 10:21 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
      I know I have tried this before, tried searching and couldnt find it. I remember that the most solid way was to create a manual event that shuts off the lights but I think I deleted event, set lights to shut off after x time but cant remember the exact. I did have it setup for when motion was off, shut the lights off and it works "most" of the time. Wife complains when it doesn't and I want to figure this out as I am going to start using this in more areas where I am sick of the lights being left on.

ok so my garage has the following:
      concord 4 door sensor
      23890w - x10 2 way light switch for 2 garage lights
      Intermatic Appliance module - track lighting
      MS13a - x10 motion sensor

ok so right now if you open the garage door it trips motion and turns lights on. If you walk into the garage, motion picks you up and turns the lights on.

I had it set at the motion sensor after 5minutes no activity, shut lights off which as I said works most of the time.

how would you set this up to shut the lights off?

I recall 2 events. 1 to remove delayed event, then call delayed lights shut off event.... is that still the best way?

examples please.
      What I am seeing is that the first event should be "no motion" and is at the mercy of the internal timer of the motion detector to turn them off. If that is what you want then OK or you can use a counter or timer or a wait.

The second event says that if the hallway door is opened then turn on the lights. That is OK but the motion statement should be removed. This is where a wait, timer or counter statement could be used to go 5 min then turn the lights off.

The third event where it says if motion changes and becomes "motion" not ON. You can remove the statement about them being off first. But if they are already on then no harm it just adds to the off time.

Remember, as you know, if you use the motion sensor to turn off anything it can be re-tripped and the time extends until no motion is detected.

If I missed something someone else can correct it or add.
      Last edited by cowinger; December 6, 2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I to would be interested in best practices for motion control of lights on and off for various locations in the home. Another twist would be to set the dim level down during a particular time period. For example after 10:00 PM dim down to 15% like a night light when motion detected and only stay on for a few minutes.. The same light would stay on for different preset say 30 minutes after dark but before 10:00 PM at 100% dim level. Time and dim levels set per particular location or preference. Adjustable ramp rates on/off would be a welcome addition as well.
        Last edited by RPeadro; December 6, 2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
          What I am seeing is that the first event should be "no motion" and is at the mercy of the internal timer of the motion detector to turn them off. If that is what you want then OK or you can use a counter or timer or a wait.
          yup that is issue 1 that I have. Sometimes the motion doesn't detect motion and shuts the lights off while I am out there. gets frustrating.

The second event says that if the hallway door is opened then turn on the lights. That is OK but the motion statement should be removed. This is where a wait, timer or counter statement could be used to go 5 min then turn the lights off.
          I didn't have the motion statement before and the issue without that is if someone opens the door and doesn't walk out there. lights are on; however, there is no change in motion thus lights stay on in definitely...well until someone walks out there

The third event where it says if motion changes and becomes "motion" not ON. You can remove the statement about them being off first. But if they are already on then no harm it just adds to the off time.

Remember, as you know, if you use the motion sensor to turn off anything it can be re-tripped and the time extends until no motion is detected.

If I missed something someone else can correct it or add.

so my events here I am showing are what was setup (currently disabled until I can get it right and raise the WAF)...

I am trying to recall. I thought someone had..

1. manual event to shut off lights in X minutes
          2. event on motion, removes manual event, adds manual event...

so if there is motion it will keep removing the shut lights off event and add it again thus resetting the timer.

now this is how it was in HS2... Thus I haven't used HS3 built in timers, etc and would LOVE to figure out how some are doing it that way.

my goal is to get things going back in HS3 (things I have now are set times for events and that is rock solid)

all input appreciated...

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
            yup that is issue 1 that I have. Sometimes the motion doesn't detect motion and shuts the lights off while I am out there. gets frustrating.

I didn't have the motion statement before and the issue without that is if someone opens the door and doesn't walk out there. lights are on; however, there is no change in motion thus lights stay on in definitely...well until someone walks out there

so my events here I am showing are what was setup (currently disabled until I can get it right and raise the WAF)...

I am trying to recall. I thought someone had..

1. manual event to shut off lights in X minutes
            2. event on motion, removes manual event, adds manual event...

so if there is motion it will keep removing the shut lights off event and add it again thus resetting the timer.

now this is how it was in HS2... Thus I haven't used HS3 built in timers, etc and would LOVE to figure out how some are doing it that way.

my goal is to get things going back in HS3 (things I have now are set times for events and that is rock solid)

all input appreciated...
            Here is an example of one of the events that I use for light control.

This event will turn on the light when the door is opened and/or if motion is detected but it will only stay on for the duration of time that you specify in the delay if no additional motion is detected. However if someone triggers the event again, it resets the timer to 5 minutes every time it re triggers from motion or the door opening.

One of the problems with the event in Post#1 is that the event wont trigger / re trigger unless the light is Off first.

You might have to adjust the delay time based on how your motion sensor works. You might want to check out the HS3 Event Clinic, this specific post: Logic of constructing motion controlled events
            https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=174656
            Attached Files
            HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
            Plugin's:
            BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
            EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
            weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

There is the delayed event!!!! thank you.. will have a try

Comment

Originally posted by RPeadro View Post
                I to would be interested in best practices for motion control of lights on and off for various locations in the home. Another twist would be to set the dim level down during a particular time period. For example after 10:00 PM dim down to 15% like a night light when motion detected and only stay on for a few minutes.. The same light would stay on for different preset say 30 minutes after dark but before 10:00 PM at 100% dim level. Time and dim levels set per particular location or preference. Adjustable ramp rates on/off would be a welcome addition as well.
                RPeadro, check out this post: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...=182447&page=2

There is a complete write up about how to do exactly what you describe in your post.

The Homeseer dimmer light switch has adjustable ramp rates. https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=24629775366
                HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                Plugin's:
                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

will find out tonight if this works.. thanks!
                  and all in 1 event!
                  Attached Files

Comment

A bit of tricky but here is how I would simply do it :

1. First off you start off the event based on luminance or time of the day for the lights to come on.
                    2. Remove motion because you may want to work in the garage uninterrupted by the light turning off say if were working under the car.
                    3. Leave the door sensors in place to turn on/off the lights based on set time of your choosing.
                    4. Because you said you have some two way switches, they will do the trick of disabling the door sensor events while you work in the garage!

How?: ====> Create events for when the switches are toggled or pressed ====> to turn the lights on. Then in the same event an option to run a script command ====> e.g ===> &hs.DisableEvent"Door Sensor Turn On Garage Lights"

Then the other event for when the switches are turned off to do nothing to the lights but to enable the door sensor events! ====> &hs.EnableEvent"Door Sensor Turn On Garage Lights" (Remember the door sensor events are set to turn on the lights for x amount of time!) Note : you could also leave the motion sensor in place should you forget to turn on the lights and say get plunged in darkness. This also can be added to the DISABLED/ENABLED events for convenience!

Now what if you forgot to turn off the two switches when you left the garage say for BED or AWAY? ====> The answer is also there ====> Disable or Enable the two way switches events by including them in other events. And also enabling the door sensor events. ===> House Armed/Disarmed group of events. Bullet proof!!!!!

I hope I didn't confuse anyone

Eman.
                    Last edited by Eman; December 7, 2017, 01:31 PM.
                    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thanks for the tip and link. I will give it a try.

Comment

i may have to look into that as well. I had it running this weekend and a few instances.. once shut off on me while walking in garage and another time, stayed on. I noticed the delayed event was still there so not sure what gives...

Comment

I did one with a timer tied to events (see attached images).

I did another with an event if X light has been on for more than 15 minutes turn off.

I was having a few issues with the second method until I checked the device option (configuration tab of device on each including motion sensor) "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change". Now both work great.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Planetview; December 11, 2017, 05:59 PM. Reason: Attach screen shots. Go advanced not showing unless I edit after posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                            I did one with a timer tied to events (see attached images).

I did another with an event if X light has been on for more than 15 minutes turn off.

I was having a few issues with the second method until I checked the device option (configuration tab of device on each including motion sensor) "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change". Now both work great.
                            Consider integration of a virtual manual override switch in the mix like I did so if you need to spend longer time in the garage lights won't shut off if you activate the override.

I have my virtual override switch activated by double tap of light switch or tap on virtual switch in phone/tablets or Alexa voice control.

You can see from images I posted it resets back to automatic lights on its own after 6 hours so the lights won't be in manual mode all night should I forget to turn it off.

Comment

Timers and delayed events are cranky.
                              The ability to temporarily enabling or disabling events from within other events can do unbelievable magic =====> &hs.EnableEvent"Door Sensor Turn On Garage Lights"

If you use Tasker for Android there is also that trick disable/enable Profiles (events) automatically ====> Tasker ====> Profile Status ====> then select the profile (event) name and set to ON/OFF

But we are on about HomeSeer here ===> example image below :

Eman.
                              Attached Files
                              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Working...
                              X