Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's everyone naming and placing their device rooms and floors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's everyone naming and placing their device rooms and floors?

For me ATM, I have main floors and second floors then simply each controller device in it's room. If it's a table light, I call it table light, floor light, I call it that.

Thinking about adding the room name to the device name to straighten out a few voice commands issue I'm having with Google Home.

We use Category and Room as seen below.
    Attached Files
    Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
      We use Category and Room as seen below.
      +1

Comment

That make sense, I'm going to try that.

Comment

I don't have a google home... yet... xmas will or my bday is right after so ill treat myself if wife doesn't get it

but... can you use the speak in the device?
          As you see I have mine named as you do but may need to change them.
          I thought this field is what was used for alexa, google, etc??? no?
          Attached Files
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Hi,
            I was literally about to put the same thread on so I hope you don't mind me chipping in.

I also left it as defaults and set everything in a room and floor.
            I think Category and Room would work but is there a further way or method group?

ie: what if I had a category called Lighting and a 4 bed house had 3 lights per room + dining / kitchen + landing up/downstairs + living room had 2 lamps and a main light. Plus outside front and rear had a light each and shed had 1 light too.

Thats 25 lights- Category tells us they're lighting.
            Room tells us where each is located
            Could there not be a further way to say whats inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs etc?

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

I thought this field is what was used for alexa, google, etc??? no?

Yes, that's a friendly name and override for use with the voice services. It is not required, but can simplify things greatly.
              cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by aj84 View Post
                Hi,
                I was literally about to put the same thread on so I hope you don't mind me chipping in.

I also left it as defaults and set everything in a room and floor.
                I think Category and Room would work but is there a further way or method group?

ie: what if I had a category called Lighting and a 4 bed house had 3 lights per room + dining / kitchen + landing up/downstairs + living room had 2 lamps and a main light. Plus outside front and rear had a light each and shed had 1 light too.

Thats 25 lights- Category tells us they're lighting.
                Room tells us where each is located
                Could there not be a further way to say whats inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs etc?

Use the device name field to further define which device is in the room. Floorownstairs, Room:Kitchen, Device Name:Can Lights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                Plugin's:
                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                  Use the device name field to further define which device is in the room. Floorownstairs, Room:Kitchen, Device Name:Can Lights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  That is how I do it now..

floor - 1st, 2nd, basement, attic
                  Room - living room, rec room, kitchen, powder room, master bedroom, etc
                  Device - Track lights, lights, ceiling fan, fish tank lights...

I think the big concern was how to get speech to go from google home easier...

Attached Files
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I posted my GH issue in another thread but here's the problem I'm facing with Google Home. I don't think any of this is going to change soon.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=192628

In a nutshell, if you call your family room table lights "Table Lights" and assign it to the family room table light in Google Home and you have multiple lights assigned to the same room in GH. When you say "Turn on the family room table lights" it will turn on all the lights assigned to the family room.

Here's a twister,

if you have another "table light" elsewhere like the living room and you say "turn on the table lights" Both lights turn on.

In Google Home, you can provide nick names but it still doesn't understand this. I think what needs to be done is naming the actual device in HS with the associated room, IE" Family Room Table Lights = "family room table lights"

not the end of the world but the way Google Home and HS interface, anytime you want to add or remove anything, you need to remove and resync all device. under 10 devices, maybe you'll keep your sanity, if you have 40 plus devices like I do, it drives you nuts!

Comment

Naming Scheme

Well here is a different idea I've been using for a while

I gave the lights "human" names like the table light that is next to grandma's chair the name "grandma" and the floor lamp next to the coach where my wife sits is called "sue" so then its simple I just say "turn sue on " and the floor lamp turns on.

Been using this for years I also have the floor and room options setup but for now this seams to work for Google and Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by ben_bambenek View Post
                        Well here is a different idea I've been using for a while

I gave the lights "human" names like the table light that is next to grandma's chair the name "grandma" and the floor lamp next to the coach where my wife sits is called "sue" so then its simple I just say "turn sue on " and the floor lamp turns on.

Been using this for years I also have the floor and room options setup but for now this seams to work for Google and Amazon.
                        If I named my wife's light, "the wife" and I say "ok google turn the wife on" she would probably turn over and reply "Then why would I need you?"

Comment

I have always had Floor set to the actual larger location (1st, 2nd, basement, Outside) and Room set to the more specific Room/Location (TV, Family, Master Bedroom, Deck, Patio, etc.). I have had to make up some rooms or just leave them out. For instance we don't have what I would call a Hall so I left the Light Outside the Powder Room set to 1st floor and no room. I then have a name which may not be unique in itself, such as Vanity Light for the switch in each of the various bathrooms. This worked well for years since HS Touch was my primary controller and was organized well.

I have recently had to rename a few things to better work with my Google Home, though. After a sync last night all my devices are listed in GH with the HomeSeer Floor and Room names. So I see 2nd Floor Master Bath Vanity Light now. I am able to say "Turn on the foyer light" and since there is only one it works. This is now listed as 1st floor entrance foyer light in the Google Home app. 2 days ago it as only listed as foyer light. I turned on the Voice Command option in HomeSeer for all my 2nd floor devices right before the sync yesterday and admittedly am not sure if the addition of the floor and room is due to the additional devices or the same update that allows us to say "Sync with HomeSeer."

I have not tried the duplicate named items such as the vanity lights as I do not currently have a GH unit near them, just added them last night, and have not been home by myself to be able to play with the commands and lights. I do know that if I say "Turn off the basement lights." it turns them all off and tells me it has turned off 15 lights. I have not associated any HomeSeer items with Rooms in the Google Home app so all floor and room association is done from the HomeSeer sync.

I DO have to watch names for something like:
                          Floor: Basement
                          Room: TV
                          Name: TV Lights
                          as I have Chromecast on the basement TV. I can say "Watch___ on the basement TV" and GH will turn on the TV, change the input to the Chromecast and start playing the request, but since the GH unit will add Light to the end of a statement saying, "Turn off the basement TV" actually turns off all the lights in the basement TV room. For the one in the family room I have no lights being controlled at this time so if I say "Turn off the family room TV." it turns the TV off. TV on/off and inputs are controlled via the Chromecast and consumer controls.

I also had to watch how I named the lights on my ceiling fans and the fan itself. I use to have Ceiling Fan and Ceiling Fan Light (with floor and room set appropriately) but GH would only turn on/off the light. I had to call the Fan something different so I went with Ceiling Fan Fan to give me "Turn on the ceiling fan fan." and "Turn on the ceiling fan light." No, I have not yet tested these for the wife acceptance factor. I have a feeling they may not pass. Then again, she doens't feel the need to talk to turn these on/off.

I do have a GH in the basement and one on the 1st floor and need to test the proximity capability. See if the one in the basement will focus on the lights in the basement when the commands are a bit generic. AND watch the Lights vs Light bug mentioned in the thread linked earlier ( https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=192628 ). I have guests staying in the basement for a few more days, though, so I am not yet able to test the proximity part. Dad was open to trying the entire basement commands but will be a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to the proximity tests if they go awry.

Last: I currently only have one "Shortcut" which is to have "Open the Garage Door" translate to "Turn on the garage door" to activate a virtual device and run a script that opens the door. OK, I can also say "Open the pod bay door" and it activates the garage, but it is the same shortcut...

So bottom line, all control comes from the names and sync with HomeSeer making the name/floor/room setup more important now.

Karl
                          Karl S
                          HS4Pro on Windows 10
                          1070 Devices
                          56 Z-Wave Nodes
                          104 Events
                          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Working...
                          X