Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Sky HD to Sky Q

Hi all,

I presently have Sky HD, a projector, AV amp, motorised screen etc in my lounge. I have set up HS3 with a BLUSBuirt so that I only have to press "Sky" on one remote, and HS3 events turn everything on, and dim the lights etc. Press "pause" and wall lights come on, press Sky OFF and it all shuts down and turns the ceiling light on. Works nicely.

Now I like the idea of getting the 2TB Sky Q box, so that I can record more things at once. The main Sky Q remote appears to be bluetooth, so any ideas on how to let HS3 know what Sky remote button has been pressed ?

I also have the house wired up with UHF co-ax, and multiple TV's with magic eyes. The Sky Q box doesn't have rf loop through (or magic eye functionality), and so I had a look at their multiroom boxes, but the cost (Monthly, and per Sky mini box) puts me off. I think I can retain my UHF distribution system (And magic eye functionality) by using a DVBT modulator (Specifically a Technomate TM-RF HD IR 1080p HDMI RF Modulator). Any thoughts on that ?

Cheers,

Tim
    Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

I have just changed from Sky HD to Sky Q. I use an iPad for all my AV stuff (via Global Cache) so was facing the same problem. Good news. There is a normal IR remote which also comes with the Q 2TB box. I used that to learn the IR codes (the old ones from the HD box do not work any more, even though the installer told me they would). And I have paired the Bluetooth remote with my mini box.
    All works fine. You might have to change some macros as there are different buttons to press to get to favourites, planner etc but that's all

Comment

Sounds like a plan....

Hi Mikee123,

Thanks for the response. I guess that's the answer with the IR remote then.

I'm fairly certain that the DVBT modulator will do what I want (this version has HDMI passthrough and magic eye functionality), although I will have to make the Sky HDMI output stereo for the DVBT modulator, and add an optical audio cable between the Sky Q and my AV amplifier for 5.1 audio.

I'd better test that optical audio with the existing Sky HD in case it won't play with stereo
      Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

Please let me know how you get on with the DVBT modulator. I am using my old Sky HD box for serving my legacy TV's via coax. But that's only free to air, so if your solution works I would try that too

Just seen the specs of the Technomate, it wouldn't work for me as my legacy TV's aren't even HD...

Comment

Hi mikee123,

I will be purchasing and setting the modulator up in the new year, but it should allow (1080 HD) Sky to be distributed as a 1080 HD picture on the existing co-ax distribution network to all connected UHF HD tv's. No more analogue SD Sky UHF distribution; Sky should appear as a HD digital channel on any of my Freeview HD tv's. This will also mean that my DVBLink installation will be able to show Sky on my networked devices too, although I will lose the IR magic eye control. Bluetooth remote eh ?

If my existing magic eyes also work, I will be very happy.

You can also stack these DVBT modulators if you have other HD HDMI signals to distribute (Other sat receiver, Bluray etc).

Have a good Christmas everybody

Comment

Just seen the specs of the Technomate, it wouldn't work for me as my legacy TV's aren't even HD...
            You can get SD analogue modulators too. I presently use one for Korean tv for the Missus. That has a scart passthrough connection. Sky and KBS World are presently on analogue UHF distribution house wide.

Comment

Final thought of the day - You could add seperate freeview HD receivers to you legacy tv's. If the freeview receiver has a scart output, you will be able to use the Technomate DVBT modulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Traction Tim View Post
                You can get SD analogue modulators too. I presently use one for Korean tv for the Missus. That has a scart passthrough connection. Sky and KBS World are presently on analogue UHF distribution house wide.
                Which modulator are you using please (for SD) ?

I am using my old Sky HD box as that has coax out. Most freeview boxes now only have HDMI, I looked into that. And as it was already there... I use a zwave On/Off switch and only switch the box on when its needed...

Comment

Comment

Ok thanks, I wasn't thinking. I need HDMI to coax, to distribute my Sky Q via coax. But as its only being used once a week freesat will have to do for the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X