My AB8SS is located away from my HomeSeer Computer - How to control it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My AB8SS is located away from my HomeSeer Computer - How to control it

My HomeSeer computer is located a few rooms away from where the AB8SS had to be installed (its not really possible to run more wires to that location) I am curious as to solutions that others have tried to remotely control the AB8SS switch. I have the X10 interface installed, but I am phasing out X10 because of reliablity. I have a LAN connection near the AB8SS that could be used. I have tried the Quatech QSE-100D and a Lantronix UDS-10B without success (It could be me, but I dont think they will work because of the packet nature of the transport). Someone suggested wireless RS232 (no specific product, so I could use a suggestion or two for Wireless RS232).
    Has anyone solved the problem of running the AB8SS remotely?
    I'm looking for options.

I'm using the Quatech for an AB8SS, and don't remember having to do anything special to set it up. Only using 2 of the Quatech ports, one for the AB8SS, and the other for a Yamaha RX-V3900

Comment

Same here. Quatech QSE-100D works well for me also.
      Don

Comment

Thank you for the feedback,

Are you using a pair tunneled? or really thru a virtual com port? On the AB8SS are you using a Null Modem cable to connect the AB8SS? (I dont think its necessary).
        I'm running firmware 4.1 in the QSE-100D, did you upgrade to the latest firmware?
        Maybe I got a bad port?

Update:
        I hooked up a QSE-100D to the AB8SS, and attempted to use the AB8SS configuration utility, from the utility I get a message back saying that it does not appear to be a HACS device. I tried this with both a straight cable and a null modem cable with the same results.
        Moved on two the Second port on the QSE-100D.

Success! With a straight thru cable, not a null modem cable.

Now on to the plug in.

Thank you for your comments.
        Last edited by Majkman; April 18, 2010, 04:12 PM. Reason: More testing on my part.

Comment

Working...
        X