doorbell camera system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doorbell camera system

i see a lot of growth here -- Ring, Skybell, Vivint, etc... anyone have experience they can share... also want one with contacts or z wave so will integrate with my HS3 system. thanks
    HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Personally I have a camera system with DVR that I have integrated into HSTouch. I am using an arduino to monitor the doorbell switch (using mysensors so that I can remain wireless) at the transformer. I wrote out a how to on this in that section.

I have it set so that when the doorbell rings, the camera pops up on all the HSTouch panels in the house (4 currently).

Comment

Here is the link:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178869

Comment

I have a Ring and also a Canary inside. They are good at their standalone jobs. I don't plan on trying to incorporate them into HomeSeer at this point. The Canary is an all everything sensor but so far no way to tap into the data streams has been offered.

I used to have a set up much like yours. Motion sensor and cam at front door. Automatically projected up onto the TVs when there was motion. The Ring is pretty similar except it goes to the cloud and a notice to your phone. I used Tasker to have my phone automatically open the viewer for Ring when a notification comes in.

I look at them as independent backups.

Comment

Yea agree on the backup stuff. I just use it to display, but part of the requirements for my camera system was its own independent setup outside of Homeseer and an appliance device vs on a PC.

That way if HS goes down for whatever reason, I am still recording everything. I still haven't figured out a way to get the pic from the DVR to my phone in a text, but at least we get a text alert if the doorbell is rung.

One thing I do like about my setup is I can turn the doorbell off with a push of a button. This is nice to keep the house calm (I have dogs that like to "greet" people at the door).

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post

One thing I do like about my setup is I can turn the doorbell off with a push of a button. This is nice to keep the house calm (I have dogs that like to "greet" people at the door).
            I have been researching these too. I think the Skybell lets you turn off the bell.

I already have a doorbell sensed with a UPB UMI, works great. I have a camera and motion sensor too. What I don't have is a way to talk to people at the door and push notification. That's why I'm looking at these devices.

Ring has the best reviews, but you have to buy their cloud service to get recorded video. Skybell seems low res at vga and poor reviews. Doorbird looks ok for integration like the video into blue iris, but at a high cost. It also looks cheesy.

Right now I'm looking at the Ring Pro coming out at the end of the month. Looks great, 1080 camera, etc. Still have to get the cloud service $30/yr.

I haven't quite decided, but I'm about the pull the trigger on the Ring Pro.
            -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
            Way2 Call
            Elk M1 Gold
            UPB HAI switches
            HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Here's a link to the thread on my Doorbird install:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178286

Comment

Hi,
                I read on Amazon that one of them doesn't motion sense till a person walks away then takes a picture. The other ones wifi does not go well through brick. Its also best to use the existing doorbell for power.

I'm personally waiting till July when the Ring Pro and the August Doorbell comes out, then seeing what the Amazon reviews say. I'm not of fan of beta products pushed out earlier to the consumers.

Comment

At the moment I live in an apartment block.
                  One feature that has come in really useful is the street doorbell goes directly to my cell phone. I can be in another city and answer the doorbell and talk to who ever is ringing the doorbell. We also have an onsite apartment manager so if it's a delivery guy I can buzz them in and they can leave the package with the apartment manager. Whether I'm in bed, doing my BP, or in another city I don't have to miss a delivery guy.

I'm moving to a house and am wondering is there any similar product out there.

A doorbell with a camera for example like Brinno https://secretstorages.com/best-peephole-camera/ that could send a picture to the cell phone and allow you to talk to who ever is ringing the doorbell in real time. With the capability of unlocking the door remotely. The icing on the cake would be if it could be routed through a broad band connection using something like gmail phone.

Comment

Doorbird has all those features. You can use a smartphone app to view real time video and talk to someone at the door and you can also open the door via the app if you have connected the existing door opener/door strike to the door bird camera.

Comment

Hikvision has a Doorbell camera.

Comment

my friend has ring and loves it.. I don't have anything and thought about it but I just don't like how big and bulky they are...
                        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Open projects are rare find

I also did a research on the subject and came to realize this sad (for us consumers) fact

Everyone and his dog wants to build a propitiatory eco system so that they can control you and charge you monthly and/or upgrade fees forever. Not just in the doorbell space but everywhere - thermostats, light switches, power switches etc.

With this said I'm on the market for a WiFi doorbell with these features

- waterproof
                          - digital keypad for entry code
                          - camera
                          - gate opening (simple NO contact closure)
                          - means to announce calls to HS3 ( my HS3 can accept HTTP, MQTT, TCP or I can use one of my WiFi sensors to accept contact closure if provided)
                          - low voltage AC or DC power (no batteries)
                          - camera feed to Blue Iris (or similar) to display on HSTouch displays
                          - iPhone app for answering when not at home
                          - motion detection and notification with minimal false alarms

Please respond if you have seen something that gets close to this list.

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
                            I also did a research on the subject and came to realize this sad (for us consumers) fact

Everyone and his dog wants to build a propitiatory eco system so that they can control you and charge you monthly and/or upgrade fees forever. Not just in the doorbell space but everywhere - thermostats, light switches, power switches etc.

- waterproof
                            - camera
                            - means to announce calls to HS3 ( my HS3 can accept HTTP, MQTT, TCP or I can use one of my WiFi sensors to accept contact closure if provided)

Saw this one a while back when I was checking out a wireless doorbell.
                            https://www.amazon.com/Doorbell-Wire...i+camera&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post

- waterproof
                              - camera

DoorBird will do everything on that list except for the digital keypad (although I think some of them may support RFID tags).

Comment

Working...
                              X