HS-WD100+ OK For Ceiling Fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Gang! Finally getting around to installing my HS devices. I think I'm at the addicted stage. I have a ceiling fan in my family room. As I recall, the sales rep told me I can use the WD-100 for fans. Is this correct? Thanks!

Under the Warning Section it says do not install on a motor controlled appliance. http://ozw.my-ho.st/DragonTech/dragontech-wd100.pdf

~Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill! So do I go to a non-HomeSeer fan controller?

Comment

Originally posted by lodi View Post
        Here's a dedicated Z-Wave fan control switch.
        http://store.homeseer.com/store/GE-1...ler-P1884.aspx
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If all the switch does is control a load why can't it give or kill power to a motor? I do this with Z-Wave outlets from time to time...... no problem.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            If all the switch does is control a load why can't it give or kill power to a motor? I do this with Z-Wave outlets from time to time...... no problem.
            The OP was asking about a HS-WD100+ dimmer. It will not control a motor. The HS-WS100+ switch wold be fine with a fan.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by lodi View Post
              I have three of the GE fan controls and they work fine. They are a little quirky in that they only have three speeds, but a value range of 0-99%. I use 30% for low, 60% for medium and ON for high.
              Last edited by randy; July 19, 2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                The OP was asking about a HS-WD100+ dimmer. It will not control a motor. The HS-WS100+ switch wold be fine with a fan.

Gotcha. I missed that as I'm not yet the proud owner of any HS switches and familiar with the jargon. Because they're out of stock until the judgement!
                Originally posted by rprade
                There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Don't use any dimmer switch with a fan!! Bad idea all around, the least burn out the fan or switch, worst case start a fire.

I have the same GE switch that Randy and Rupp posted, and it works fine and gives you 3 speeds.

Comment

HomeSeer Wall Dimmers & Switches

So...

The The HS-WS100+ switch will work to control a fan based on speed triggers? I am currently on the final 2 weeks of a home install and we are about to install fans in the house. Will this HS switch perform the necessary task, and can it provide multiple stages to support different fan speeds? Please advise for some clarity. I greatly appreciated the participation on this forum.

Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by supergolfstick View Post
                      So...

The The HS-WS100+ switch will work to control a fan based on speed triggers? I am currently on the final 2 weeks of a home install and we are about to install fans in the house. Will this HS switch perform the necessary task, and can it provide multiple stages to support different fan speeds? Please advise for some clarity. I greatly appreciated the participation on this forum.

Aaron
                      No. The HS-WS100+ is a relay or binary switch. It is On-Off only. The HS-WD100+ is a dimmer, but only for incandescent, LED and CCFL lighting - not motors. To control a fan you need the GE or other controller designed for a fan. I use the GE controller that Rupp referenced. It provides three speeds.

Comment

Fan and Light Cobtrol

Any suggestions to control a fan that also has a light? Currently the 3 fan speeds and the light are controlled with an IR remote that hangs on the wall and the main switch on the wall just turn the power to the fan on and off. I can't find any z-wave device that will control both the fan and the light at the same time. Any help with this is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by egotten View Post
                          Any suggestions to control a fan that also has a light? Currently the 3 fan speeds and the light are controlled with an IR remote that hangs on the wall and the main switch on the wall just turn the power to the fan on and off. I can't find any z-wave device that will control both the fan and the light at the same time. Any help with this is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Use two switches next to each other. One for fan one for lights. I have been using the HS new dimmer on the lights and for multispeed on the fan use the GE Fan switch.

It would also be more helpful if you told us what your current setup is. Do you have a double switch now or just one? Is there a single or double gang box?

Comment

Another option, though not as easy to manually control, would be to use one of the aeon micro switches or dimmers on the light. They can be tossed up in the fan housing. Though I would recommend more so the double switch by expanding the gang box (not that hard, youtube is your friend here for details).

That being said, unless they ran romex with 5 wires in it (hot,neutral,ground,fan,light), the double gang will be of no use.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                              Another option, though not as easy to manually control, would be to use one of the aeon micro switches or dimmers on the light. They can be tossed up in the fan housing. Though I would recommend more so the double switch by expanding the gang box (not that hard, youtube is your friend here for details).

That being said, unless they ran romex with 5 wires in it (hot,neutral,ground,fan,light), the double gang will be of no use.
                              Agreed but this is why we need mre info. Only thing that sucks about this way is no fan speed control. But it might be his best option depending on what his current setup is.

Comment

Working...
                              X