Setting up IIS's SMTP to handle email?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up IIS's SMTP to handle email?

Any of you guys know how to use the SMTP Virtual server to act as my own email server?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Just so you know, SMTP only supports sending mails...not reciving them.

You should just have to turn it on and then you can use your ASP email component (or whatever use you want to send mail with). Just reference your systems IP address for the server.

To turn it on, just right click on it in the services manager for IIS and say Start.

Comment

Rupp,
      Check out Mercury Email. It can be set to login to your email accounts and acting as a client to download the email to your server. You then setup all your computers to connect to Mercury and it now acts like a server and allows you to download the mail. The inside clients don't even have to have Internet access.
      It will also handle the outgoing email as well.

And its in your price range.

http://www.pmail.com/whatsnew/m32401.htm
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

The download is free. However it's $30 for a copy of the manuals. I guess there's no such thing as a free email server. Still looks very interesting, I'll put it on my list of things to try.

Phill

Comment

If you don't mind reading help files you don't need to order the manuals.
          I have been using Mercury for about a year and have never ordered the manuals.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone
          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I heavily suggest getting your own email server going if your ISP leaves ports 25 and 110 available to you.

Unlimited email accounts, unlimited storage, HomeSeer can check its own email every minute, you can set up temporary accounts for junk mails and kill them again often.

You need a NO-IP or a TZO account since you cannot usually send email to an IP address (anyone@209.20.130.15).

What ever you do, make sure that you set up the 'outbound' emails from the server to require a user name and password also so you do not become a spam server. Then your ISP WILL shut you down.

Bill

~Bill

Comment

I have not installed it, but there is a freebie email server system called MailEnable that is supposed to be pretty good. The free version has only basic capabilities.

There are other issues you should know about running your own mail server if you use DSL or dial-up through your ISP.

If your ISP doesn't block port 25 use, you may still run into problems as there are lists of certain IP addresses that are used for dial-up or DSL accounts registered in cetnral databases. These databases are called the RBL's or realtime blacklists. One blacklist contains the various ISP ranges for temporary connections - ie. Dialup and DSL IP range pools. More and more email servers are now checking these lists for incoming mail and denying it based on the ISP's use of an email server.

What this means is your IP address is looked up, and if it is on this list, the email server of the destination account you are sending email to will deny your connection, usually telling you to use your ISP's email server.

Many ISP's are now requiring SMTP and POP3 authentication in order to send and retrieve email from their servers. If your ISP does both of these, such as BellSouth is doing for their IP ranges, your email server will have to be built such that it masqueardes or spoofs the source email address to look like it is coming form a client to your ISP's server. The problem is that you incoming email address will not get used for your personal outgoing email.

These are all steps being taken to curb spamming and spoofing of email addresses and servers. They also make it difficult for residential users to run their own systems without paying for a business account and getting an open Internet connection.

Take a look at the RBL lists to see what I'm talking about. try a query on your Internet IP address at http://rbls.org .

You might be able to get around these with the mail forwarding services at some registrars and DDNS managers - I haven't really looked into those too much. But it does get complicated rather wuickly when you start wanting to run your own mail server to handle incoming email. To say nothing of dealing with the spam attacks.
              |
              | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
              HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

I downloaded, and intend to use/try, an open source .NET based mail server called Titanium Mail. Click Here

Mick

Comment

I tried both Mercury Mail and MailEnable, and went with MailEnable. I've been using it now for something over a year. It includes POP3, Blacklists, web mail, HTTP mail, and a prototype (unsupported) for IMAP. Some of this requires the Professional version (which I went ahead and paid $175 for). I've got gobs of bogus accounts I use just to keep SPAM out of my main box. Anyway, I'm really happy with MailEnable.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X