RC-80 Relay Volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC-80 Relay Volume

Can anyone confirm whether the relay on the RC-80 is audible. I can hear it from 50 feet away. Do I have a loud one or are they all like this? Other than this noise its a great thermostat but I've had cheaper ones without any noise at all.

Does anyone know of a thermostat that can be controlled by homeseer but doesn't rely on homeseer for its scheduling and doesn't have an audible relay?

Thanks

James,
    I notice when my relay clicks, but I am not 50 feet away, more like 10 or 20.

Alan

Comment

I wonder what can be done about this. I really want to keep this thermostat.

Comment

I hear my relay clicks all the time, I like it as I know when it is on/off and gives audio confirmation of setting changes. I am not sure how loud yours is compared to mine, I know they are nowhere as loud as an appliance module. But I really can't get 50' away and still be inside my house. Mine is a rather quiet click.

I really can't understand how it could be of any concern.

You could also send a message to: support@homeauto.com They have always been more than helpful and extremly responsive.

Comment

I agree it is not as loud as an appliance module but it is enough to drive me nuts...maybe I'll get used to it.

When people come over they notice it even when the tv is on.

They ask "what is that click I keep hearing?"

I reply "Its my sweet thermostat."

They reply "my thermostat is from homedepot, I payed $50 for it and it doesn't make a sound"

Then they laugh at me

HAI support said its normal. I'll just try and get used to it or else get different one.

Comment

It is just a standard relay, so it is a contact triggered by a electro magnet. So if you insulated the tstat a bit it may help. Put a bit of insulation behind the wall where it is mounted, even mount it on a small ammount of padding, rubber? You could also try a very small bit of 'DynoMatt' actuall on the relay itself that could help absorb the sound. Go to any good car stereo installer and I am sure they freely give you a small enough section of DynoMat. I still would contact HAI and complain, they could send another just to make sure it is normal.

I guess mine are not that noticable and no one here has ever said anything, I guess the sound of all my appliance modules drown it out, and I also have a 4 month old so noise is all relative.

Comment

Thanks Scott, you've made me feel a lot better. I will try your suggestions. If my wife and I have kids soon I'll probably not notice either.

Thanks,

James

Comment

I have two and they both click, but many other thermostats I've seen do as well.

> They ask "what is that click I keep hearing?"

Probably means that you either need new friends or your underutilizing your Homeseer. Have it announce open doors, read the weather, read what TV programs are on and announce callers, and I guarantee they won't be asking about the thermostat clicking again. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X