No announcement yet.

MediaController plugin beta testing Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've noticed my Roku remote is missing some buttons, it is missing the option/info (*) button and the back button (<-)

I'm using a Roku Premiere+

Is there a way to manually add these buttons?
    Last edited by _ThaNerd_; November 9, 2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by _ThaNerd_ View Post
      I've noticed my Roku remote is missing some buttons, it is missing the option/info (*) button and the back button (<-)

I'm using a Roku Premiere+

Is there a way to manually add these buttons?
      Just looked up the latest Roku API. I see Info is supported, don't see back though, I see backspace but should already be there.

Add the following entries in the MediaController_RemoteControl.ini file (note stop HS3 before you make changes). There should be a section that is named after the UDN of your Roku (you find that in the device table on the config page)

33=Info:;:-:/keypress/Info:;:-:4:;:-:2

Now restart HS3 and click the "create remote buttons", does it get added?

Not sure if you have a Roku TV as there are more TV commands in existence now.

Some Roku devices, such as Roku TVs, also support:
      VolumeDown
      VolumeMute
      VolumeUp
      PowerOffRoku
      TV devices also support changing the channel when watching the TV tuner input:
      ChannelUp
      ChannelDownRoku
      TV devices also support keys to set the current TV input UI:
      InputTuner
      InputHDMI1
      InputHDMI2
      InputHDMI3
      InputHDMI4
      InputAV1

I can add all of these in a next version of this PI, or you can add those to the ini file yourself. Should be too hard to figure out how

Dirk

Comment

Yes I just did that and it worked

33=Info:;:-:/keypress/Info:;:-:4:;:-:2
        34=Back:;:-:/keypress/Back:;:-:4:;:-:3

Comment

I added Emby to my Roku and was wondering if there was a way to find the code for that app just like Plex has.

Comment

Originally posted by _ThaNerd_ View Post
            I added Emby to my Roku and was wondering if there was a way to find the code for that app just like Plex has.
            Have you tried restarting the PI? I'm not in front of the code and cannot recall whether I decided to discover everything again (and overwrite) at start-up or I decided once discovered, people might make changes and if I always overwrite, they lose those (and won't be happy). Seem to recall adding a button or option somewhere to rediscover but not sure I did that for Roku (haven't touched that code in years).

Dirk

Comment

Yes you're right there is a button! You thought of everything!

Comment

Getting an error when adding my LG Laser Projector: Error in CreateHSRootDevice with DevType = DMR and DeviceName = [LG] webOS PJTR PF1500W and DeviceUDN = with Error = Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Error in CreateHSPlayerDevice with Error = Object reference not set to an instance of an object. It adds the device in, but there are no buttons on device management (on,off) and no device can be added in Events.

Comment

Originally posted by dtsouers View Post
                  Getting an error when adding my LG Laser Projector: Error in CreateHSRootDevice with DevType = DMR and DeviceName = [LG] webOS PJTR PF1500W and DeviceUDN = with Error = Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Error in CreateHSPlayerDevice with Error = Object reference not set to an instance of an object. It adds the device in, but there are no buttons on device management (on,off) and no device can be added in Events.
                  Missed this posting. Can you makes sure you first delete and remove the device completely (using the PI's config page !!!), than turn on the debug flag and capture a full log from when you click on adding the device.

Comment

Understanding Activated OnLine v/s Offline

Need some help understanding the expected behavior of devices recognized in this plugin. I am mainly using in HSTouch to control of all my media type devices, ROKU, AnyCast, and my HTPC Windows Media Server. I can operate all devices from the initial config/install. However, the behavior after, when devices may have been shut off and turned back on, is where my problem occurs. I am using a HomeTroller HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.368 (Linux) and accessing via web browser on my PC for configuring and testing.

I've concluded it's based on the devices status of Activated OnLine v/s Offline.

I've performed many tests directly in HS3 to ensure I confirmed the behavior of this plugin in terms of seeing devices as Activated Online v/s Offline and how things work in each state.

I listed below the different scenarios.

1. Initial Install/config.
                    A) For the plugin to properly recognize all media devices upon initial config, all media devices must be turned on and running. Including any shared Windows Media Players themselves. ( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED).
                    B) After initial install/ config , log all devices on network, the plugin correctly finds all devices, and shows the devices status as Live, TRUE and Activated ON Line. ( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED)
                    C)All media serves can be selected, files played from the devices found under Manage Plugins>>Media Controller>> Windows Media Player (for example).
                    D). Can browse media library , select and load song, but it will ONLY play the song on the Windows Media Player Device if I load it to the playlist then by clicking on that song in the playlist, the song loads and plays on the Windows computer as expected.( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED)
                    ALL Controls that show up in the device control work, including volume, etc

2) Once any of the previously devices that tested good and fully functional are powered down and then powered back up for use, now only show up as Activated OFFLINE. ( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED)
                    A) With the device physically turned on, Deactivating and then Activating from the Device Management Screen does not force the device status to show Activated OnLine. The devices shows it Deactivated, but when you Activate the device, it simply updates back to the Activated Offline state and do not work.
                    B) After initial setup and config and all devices were working, if the devices are left on and HomeTroller is reset, all devices once the system is rebooted will go to an Activated Offline state and do not work.
                    3. The only way to get the devices to show back to the Activated On Line state and to be fully functional is to goto Manage Plugins, and disable the Media Controller plugin and then re enable after a system reboot. ( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED)

I can post logs, etc and provide more detail, but I wasn't going to assume this wasn't user error or lack of understanding of some fundamentals of this plugin behavior when devices are up/down.

Apologize for the long post.. Thanks in advance...

KeyMix

Comment

Originally posted by KeyMix View Post

I've concluded it's based on the devices status of Activated OnLine v/s Offline.

I've performed many tests directly in HS3 to ensure I confirmed the behavior of this plugin in terms of seeing devices as Activated Online v/s Offline and how things work in each state.

I listed below the different scenarios.

A) For the plugin to properly recognize all media devices upon initial config, all media devices must be turned on and running. Including any shared Windows Media Players themselves. ( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED).
                      dcor: Not sure true or false, but UPNP/DLNA devices are supposed to advertise themselves when they come on line and when they go off-line (assuming proper shutdowns), so they don't have to be on-line when the PI starts to be discovered,

B) After initial install/ config , log all devices on network, the plugin correctly finds all devices, and shows the devices status as Live, TRUE and Activated ON Line. ( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED)
                      dcor: not sure what you are asking. The PI will discover devices, either because the PI just started OR a device just announced itself. The PI will query the device for its capabilities and add them to the config table but NOT add them to HS. That is something you do. This adding of devices is manual but should only be done once. HOWEVER, I've seen soft players which announce themselves each time after a restart with a new Unique Device Name. This causes the PI to think it is a new devices. This is a fault in the implementation of that soft player.

C)All media serves can be selected, files played from the devices found under Manage Plugins>>Media Controller>> Windows Media Player (for example).
                      dcor: provided the UPNP/DLNA devices are proper compliant, you should be able to navigate content. This does not mean that you can do any server to any player combination. Think of it this way: if your server has media that is encoded with an Apple proprietary format, changes are high most players can't handle this proprietary format. Playlists is a best example.
                      D). Can browse media library , select and load song, but it will ONLY play the song on the Windows Media Player Device if I load it to the playlist then by clicking on that song in the playlist, the song loads and plays on the Windows computer as expected.( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED)
                      dcor: yes, not sure what different behavior you expected or see

ALL Controls that show up in the device control work, including volume, etc
                      dcor: yes unless there is a problem with how it was implementation. For example, some players don't automatically switch over to "network" control and you need to do it manually (ex Onkyo receiver). Some players separate DLNA content for other functions ex. volume setting would ONLY work/apply when the player is set in playing DLNA content (ex Samsung TVs) so you can control volume but only when you are playing DLNA content.

2) Once any of the previously devices that tested good and fully functional are powered down and then powered back up for use, now only show up as Activated OFFLINE. ( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED)
                      dcor: as stated above, if they properly support the UPNP/DLNA protocols, when they come back on-line they should advertize themselves. If they were just powered down, it could take a while before the PI sets them off-line (is part of protocol). At discovery, the device announces which period it will use to announce it is still alive, after missing 2 alive messages the PI assumes the device off-line. This can be anywhere from a few minutes to an hour.
                      A) With the device physically turned on, Deactivating and then Activating from the Device Management Screen does not force the device status to show Activated OnLine. The devices shows it Deactivated, but when you Activate the device, it simply updates back to the Activated Offline state and do not work.
                      dcor: can't comment whether issue or not, maybe something else is going on in your setup
                      B) After initial setup and config and all devices were working, if the devices are left on and HomeTroller is reset, all devices once the system is rebooted will go to an Activated Offline state and do not work.
                      3. The only way to get the devices to show back to the Activated On Line state and to be fully functional is to goto Manage Plugins, and disable the Media Controller plugin and then re enable after a system reboot. ( PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS EXPECTED)
                      dcor: absolutely not correct. I wonder whether this is a race condition or not. Reminder: when the PI starts, it queries the network, doesn't matter whether as part of a total system start-up or as part of just the PI (only). The PI doesn't know the difference nor does it do something different. It does create a multicast port and expects responses. If those responses get tossed perhaps due to too much happening at start-up, that would explain it. After the broadcast, the system goes to monitoring state and devices will trickle in because they MUST periodically broadcast their existence.

I can post logs, etc and provide more detail, but I wasn't going to assume this wasn't user error or lack of understanding of some fundamentals of this plugin behavior when devices are up/down.

Apologize for the long post.. Thanks in advance...

KeyMix
                      See embedded comments

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I asked these questions this way to confirm whether I was having an issue with my specific setup or if it was my misunderstanding of the expected operation of the plugin.

dcor: Not sure true or false, but UPNP/DLNA devices are supposed to advertise themselves when they come on line and when they go off-line (assuming proper shutdowns), so they don't have to be on-line when the PI starts to be discovered,
                        KeyMix: After reading your response , I went and did further trouble shooting, the only way I can get a device to show up as Activated Online, I must have the device on during install. Based on that I assume I have an issue with my config/setup
                        dcor: not sure what you are asking. The PI will discover devices, either because the PI just started OR a device just announced itself. The PI will query the device for its capabilities and add them to the config table but NOT add them to HS. That is something you do. This adding of devices is manual but should only be done once. HOWEVER, I've seen soft players which announce themselves each time after a restart with a new Unique Device Name. This causes the PI to think it is a new devices. This is a fault in the implementation of that soft player.
                        KeyMix: Basically was only confirming expectation, per your comment this is expected at least in terms of initial install, after I the user "add" from the MediaController Plugin config screen player table

KeyMix: I was trying to validate that I could not simply navigate the media server's content ( WMP for my example), and simply double click to load the song into the player, the only way I've been able to play media from the server is add it to the playlist and then click on the desired file from the playlist to get the player to play the media

dcor: as stated above, if they properly support the UPNP/DLNA protocols, when they come back on-line they should advertize themselves. If they were just powered down, it could take a while before the PI sets them off-line (is part of protocol). At discovery, the device announces which period it will use to announce it is still alive, after missing 2 alive messages the PI assumes the device off-line. This can be anywhere from a few minutes to an hour.

Based on your response I guess its another issue with my setup/config, I did further test, I have to enable/disable the plugin from the Manage Plugins screen in HS3pi to get the status to change back to "Activated Online" and then be able to control device thru the plugin. I already had made sure that my PC firewall had the pi's IP as trusted and assume its not an issue, but not sure...
                        dcor: absolutely not correct. I wonder whether this is a race condition or not. Reminder: when the PI starts, it queries the network, doesn't matter whether as part of a total system start-up or as part of just the PI (only). The PI doesn't know the difference nor does it do something different. It does create a multicast port and expects responses. If those responses get tossed perhaps due to too much happening at start-up, that would explain it. After the broadcast, the system goes to monitoring state and devices will trickle in because they MUST periodically broadcast their existence.
                        SO definitely tied to the #2, there's something not correct with the setup/config, to keep things simple, I am only troubling shooting my Win 7 and Win 10 PC's Windows Media Server and respective players, those devices are the ones behaving as described. I look at the logs and didn't see any errors nor anything about login fails per the device, but it does log an error about the Transport is locked when attempting to play an song from playlist built from the initial test. The error will only show up when I am under the MediaController Config and selected the Media Player to use and click on the song from the previous built playlist. Not sure if that helps confirm anything or not

I will try a fresh install, but need to ensure I am deleting all required on the pi, can you confirm what steps would be needed? I will continue to troubleshoot to nail down why its not behaving the way you're describing.

Comment

Originally posted by KeyMix View Post
                          Thanks for the reply. I asked these questions this way to confirm whether I was having an issue with my specific setup or if it was my misunderstanding of the expected operation of the plugin.

KeyMix: After reading your response , I went and did further trouble shooting, the only way I can get a device to show up as Activated Online, I must have the device on during install. Based on that I assume I have an issue with my config/setup
                          dcor: Check your firewall, I'm starting to suspect that unsolicited messages are not allowed through. If in doubt, turn the firewall off for a while and see if it makes a difference. The PI ITSELF needs to have incoming and outgoing allowance!

KeyMix: Basically was only confirming expectation, per your comment this is expected at least in terms of initial install, after I the user "add" from the MediaController Plugin config screen player table

KeyMix: I was trying to validate that I could not simply navigate the media server's content ( WMP for my example), and simply double click to load the song into the player, the only way I've been able to play media from the server is add it to the playlist and then click on the desired file from the playlist to get the player to play the media
                          dcor: There were issues with double clicks (functions supported by HS) and therefore you need to select and add, double click isn't supported.

Based on your response I guess its another issue with my setup/config, I did further test, I have to enable/disable the plugin from the Manage Plugins screen in HS3pi to get the status to change back to "Activated Online" and then be able to control device thru the plugin. I already had made sure that my PC firewall had the pi's IP as trusted and assume its not an issue, but not sure...
                          dcor: my first guess is firewall, and this is NOT an IP thing, this should be application specific and the PI (!!) needs to have outgoing and incoming allowance.

SO definitely tied to the #2, there's something not correct with the setup/config, to keep things simple, I am only troubling shooting my Win 7 and Win 10 PC's Windows Media Server and respective players, those devices are the ones behaving as described. I look at the logs and didn't see any errors nor anything about login fails per the device, but it does log an error about the Transport is locked when attempting to play an song from playlist built from the initial test. The error will only show up when I am under the MediaController Config and selected the Media Player to use and click on the song from the previous built playlist. Not sure if that helps confirm anything or not

I will try a fresh install, but need to ensure I am deleting all required on the pi, can you confirm what steps would be needed? I will continue to troubleshoot to nail down why its not behaving the way you're describing.
                          I don't think this is an install issue, if it was, you'd see errors of un-existing objects. My guess ... firewall on the PC

Comment

Im having some problems when i want to use the plugin with my samsung TV.
                            Made a small movie whats going on.

when i activate the remote function in homeseer it looks like the plugin sort of crashes homeseer.
                            The manage tab is not working anymore and after about 15 minutes the tab works again but it gives this error in a field after the plugin: CRITICAL: Failed to get InterfaceStatus from MediaController: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTtqQ3qy-Ng

The tv i am trying to control is a samsung UE22H5600
                            And i can control it by a application from my android phone.
                            Any ideas whats going on here ?

(firewall is turned off )

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenttor View Post
                              Im having some problems when i want to use the plugin with my samsung TV.
                              Made a small movie whats going on.

when i activate the remote function in homeseer it looks like the plugin sort of crashes homeseer.
                              The manage tab is not working anymore and after about 15 minutes the tab works again but it gives this error in a field after the plugin: CRITICAL: Failed to get InterfaceStatus from MediaController: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTtqQ3qy-Ng

The tv i am trying to control is a samsung UE22H5600
                              And i can control it by a application from my android phone.
                              Any ideas whats going on here ?

(firewall is turned off )
                              Try again but turn all your logging off (memory hog, lots of work for PI and HS ....). What environment is this running on? Which version of HS? Have you checked your resources before/during/after doing this?

Comment

Homeseer is running on windows 10
                                its a i7 16g ram.
                                but i tried it to be sure on my laptop to see if it made any difference.

Thats a i7 6gig of ram.
                                Made another movie what happends and with logging turned off.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4J7n9BcSXo

it also gives this error in the log part of homeseer.

mrt-26 22:47:37 Warning Plugin MediaController is not responding but it is still running, not restarting yet.
                                mrt-26 22:39:07
                                Warning Plugin MediaController is not responding but it is still running, not restarting yet.
                                mrt-26 22:30:37
                                Warning Plugin MediaController is not responding but it is still running, not restarting yet.
                                mrt-26 22:26:31
                                Warning File does not exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\html\api\v2\assets\snagit_win_messaging_enu mrt-26 22:22:07 Warning Plugin MediaController is not responding but it is still running, not restarting yet.
                                mrt-26 22:15:00 Log Info The log database is currently 0,24MB in size.
                                mrt-26 22:13:37
                                mrt-26 22:05:07 Warning Plugin MediaController is not responding but it is still running, not restarting yet.

mrt-26 22:04:23
                                Error Calling SetIOMulti in plugin MediaControllere objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld.
                                mrt-26 21:56:37
                                Warning Plugin MediaController is not responding
                                but it is still running, not restarting yet.
                                mrt-26 21:56:23 Error Calling SetIOMulti in plugin MediaControllere objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld.
                                mrt-26 22:56:07 Warning Plugin MediaController is not responding but it is still running, not restarting yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X