Things have Changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things have Changed

I decided to do some development work on a new plugin for the Jandy Pool system using TCP/IP instead of their serial adapter. I loaded up a copy of HS2 on my development system. It asked me to register it and I did using the existing license keys for my Production HS2 system. I felt this was okay since HS2 told me I have a 30 day free trial. It told me I am registered

I started HS2 after deleting all the plugins that began with hspi_: CM11A, CM15AUSB, Insteon, Itunes, MediaPlayer, UPB, and ZWAVETHERM.

HS2 started up and I looked at the start page and it was what I expected. I then stopped HS2

I started my new VB.net plugin in Visual Studio having set it up as a class project with the project needing HS2. I opened the project in Visual Studio and started it running as the build was clean and succeeded.

HS2 started and went to a website for buying some software protection product. there was a dialog that stated:
    "You are attempting to run an unlicensed component.Please visit www.softwarekey.com for purchase information.

After playing some, I guess the unlicensed product is the Protection plus software which I really don't want. Why do I need it.

By the way just for kicks I tried the same thing with the production version on my production system. I got the same dialog about Protection plus being expired. I am trying to debug something I wrote; why do I need protection plus???

So the real question is: HOW do I get to the point where I can do the test and development work on my development system and not my production HS system, or for that matter on any HS system??

I am not getting a warm feeling on writing a new plugin or updating an old one (Which I Wrote) for HS3

Thanks in Advance

Barry Gordon

Put in a help desk ticket and you will be provided with a link to the needed software license.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi Rupp,

Thanks. But why do I need a license for the development of a plugin for my own use and possible sale? Sounds a little strange. I can actually do the development in an arcane manner but it is just much more convenient out of visual studio. Just my 2 cents. I will put in the ticket.

Comment

Hi Rupp,

well I tried that and got back a registry patch to solve the problem. Unfortunately that registry patch is only good on 32 bit OS's and all the machines in my home run 64 bit OS's.

What do you suggest as the next step?

Barry

P.S. It never used to be like this, Test and development of a plugin was easy. now it seems to be impossible without buying some software package I do not need for my plugin or on want on my machine. Since I am no longer able to do any development for Homeseer maybe I should just bite the bullet and drop Homeseer after 10 years.

I wonder what Rich would have to say?

Comment

I've never heard of that product being required for HS2 development. I know its not required for HS3 development during the beta. Must be something new?

I thought you just needed to request a 'temporary' license key.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I never needed it either but I have been away from Homeseer development for a while. The Help desk came through and gave me a registry patch for the 64 bit OS. It was the same patch but under a different key.

I just started rewriting my Jandy pool plugin in VB.net. The original plugin talked to the Jandy serial adapter. It was a slow start since I wanted to use Multithreaded TCP and UDP. I have not done multithreaded operations since 1960. The language has changed but the theory is the same.

The plugin is built to handle the Autelis pool control which uses TCP for commands but only handles one connection at a time. The Autelis people added a UDP broadcast capability so multiple controllers (Homeseer, iPads etc) get pool component status whenever anything changes. No Polling required. UDP Status messages are sequence numbered and each message is sent twice for reliability, just as I requested. Took them less than a week to provide an updated firmware. Great Service!!!

My home has wall mounted iPads talking to homeseer and to other things like the Autelis pool control. Someone asked me If I could do the Autelis driver for Homeseer. So I decided what the heck . . .

Comment

Very nice - I hope you are able to develop for pool control. I might be a future customer
              About the only automation I have on my pool is a ZWave contactor module (CA3750) that is being installed soon.

Comment

Does this mean that even though HS3 will run on a couple different OS platforms, the development must still be done on Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by mhog View Post
                  Does this mean that even though HS3 will run on a couple different OS platforms, the development must still be done on Windows?
                  Correct.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Things have Changed

You can apply the registry fix. Just change the key from HKLM\Software\... To HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\...
                    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I sort of remember (I am 73 and my memory is not what it used to be) That I used to development as follows in VB.net.

I would build my new plugin setting up the project as a class as opposed to exe or console app. I would set it to start Homeseer when I went into debug mode in Visual studio. I would then set a breakpoint in an area I knew Homeseer would get to such as initIO. There would be a copy of the dll in the homeseer directory.

IIRC Homeseer would see the plugin so it would initialize it, but when it made the call to initIO or whatever, the call would go to the copy I was running in Visual Studio in debug mode. I can't seem to make that happen any more. What has changed or what am I missing. Do I need to clear out anything from config/settings.ini? Do I need to remove the dll?

Thi is for information only as I am far enough along that I can do the minor debugging remaining by writing to a log file.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comment

Barry - "Protection Plus" or whatever it is you have installed, has nothing to do with HomeSeer and is not a requirement for developing plug-ins for our software. Sounds like you might have a malware infection of some sort. Consider running some kind of anti-malware program to see if this is the case.
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I would also be very interested in what you come up with here.
                          I have a Jandy RS system too but mine has the Iaqualink smart connect unit.
                          This unit is internet connected to be controlled by mobile devices or over the web.

Right now I have my touchscreens set up to open a web window for control but I'd love to see an actual plugin for it and wonder if this would work or what changes it would need to get there.

Will be watching closely....
                          HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Macromark,

The protection plus issue is resolved with the fix sent to me by the help desk. I will run a malware check. The issue now is the fact that I can not get the plugin to run in debug mode in visual studio. I know I used to do this on 2.x. something and I am testing with 2.3.0.19 whereas my production system is 2.5.0.23. It worked once or twice (homeseer started the VS debug version of the plugin) , but I am not sure what the conditions were.

Homeseer needs the plugin dll in the Homeseer2 file. It seems when I start the dll in debug mode in Visual Studio:
                            1 Visual studio starts Homeseer.
                            2 Homeseer finds the plugin and calls the first entry point (I forget which one that is (InitIO?)
                            3 The dll from Homeseer2 is now running not the one I want to debug in VisualStudio

I assume Visual Studio should be trapping the call to any entry point on the dll but does not seem to be doing that.

I wonder if there is an option in Visual Studio I need to check.

Mario23,
                            The plugin is now running in my Homeseer test system. The plugin has a setup screen and I have most of the code in but the initialization call for the Web page commented out. I will work on that this weekend. I am not a very good web person. The setup screen can be invoked at any time from the Homeseer menu bar. It shows all of the devices and their current states, each device has a corresponding entry in Homeseer's device tables and is updated there. There are buttons to query, toggle, turn on/off, set temps. There is a pane that shows each async input (UDP Traffic) with a time stamp.

I have at least two bugs to chase down, and need to test all of the current features and then I will do the WEB interface.

The protocol is exactly the same as used by the Jandy Serial adapter, in fact they both can be connected at the same time. I am not familiar with the jandy device you are using. The Autelis device is a lot less expensive ~$250 than the serial adapter.

Comment

Sounds good. The web interface stuff is I think the direction I was looking at.
                              Here is the device:
                              http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Pro...iAquaLink.aspx
                              It's just a web connect device really. The setup is that you login into the iaqualink website from a browser or phone app to control and monitor the pool.

The way I have it setup now on my touchscreens is as a web element. The only problem with this method is I haven't found a way to bypass the login screen and automatically bring up the control screen.

Ultimately though, I'd like to set it up as you describe so I have devices in HS and control and monitor from there instead...
                              HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Working...
                              X