Powerflash Modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerflash Modules

Maybe I'm not quite understanding the concept of the powerflash (PSC01). The first one I ordered from Automated Outlet appeared to be defective (would not work in mode 3 - contact closure or power applied to the +/- terminals). Is it supposed to work like this: In mode 3 with the input switch set to B, if a short appears across the terminals (contact closure) it send out a H\U code ON (P14 On). When the short is removed (Contact open) it sends a H/U code Off (P14 Off). Since the one I ordered appeared to be bad, I ordered another one from Worthington. It is showing the same behavior as the old one. It will not send anything in mode 3, with the Input switch set to A or B. Second one, from a different distributor. Are these modules that flimsy? Cheap? Prone to infant mortality?

Any and all input will be appreciated. I'm really getting PO'd!!!

Chuck

It sounds like you have the settings right for what you want to do. Mode 3 and input set to 'B' should send a P14 On and Off as you connect/disconnect across the terminals on the Powerflash.
    I have used these in a couple of places without a problem. It looks like either you've gotten a couple of bad ones or the powerflash's signal is getting eaten by a signal sucker on the same circuit. Have you tried it with it plugged into a circuit that you know works well with other x-10 stuff? - or - try plugging an appliance or lamp module in to the same outlet as the powerflash.

Dick Masson
    Dick
    HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

I have also used the PowerFlash module without any problems. Mine is set to Mode 3, Input B. Plug the PowerFlash module in the same outlet that you have your CM11A (or whatever Homeseer is using to send/receive X10), go to the Homeseer log, place a short across the terminals. You should see whatever the PowerFlash set to show On and then Off when you remove the short. Below is what you should see (if the PowerFlash is set to P16).

6/8/2004 9:00:48 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P16 (?) P On
      6/8/2004 9:00:49 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P16 (?) P Off
      6/8/2004 9:00:54 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P16 (?) P On
      6/8/2004 9:00:55 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P16 (?) P Off
      6/8/2004 9:00:56 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P16 (?) P On
      6/8/2004 9:00:57 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P16 (?) P Off
      6/8/2004 9:01:44 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P16 (?) P On
      6/8/2004 9:01:47 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P16 (?) P Off

Comment

Aaway for 5 days and I am now able to further examine what the heck is happening. I received a replacement PowerFlash unit and just now tried it. I have two PSC01s form two different suppliers and both are operating the same way.

When set to contact closure and Mode 3 and plugged into an outlet that never has problems with X10 signals, here's what I'm seeing....If I short the input terminals simulating switch closure, I get the following in my HS log

6/15/04 2:27:04 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P14 (Unknown New Device) P On
        6/15/04 2:27:05 PM~!~X10 Received~!~P14 (Unknown New Device) P Off

When I remove the short I receive another off. Anyone know why?

Chuck

Comment

Chuck,
          It's doing exactly what you described it should do in your first thread.

This is what is supposed to happen. A short causes and on , remove the short and it issues an off.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp

BUT.....

When I short the inputs the module issues an 'on' followed immediately by an 'off' with the input still shorted! It issues ANOTHER 'off' when I remove the short. AFAIK it ain't supposed to do that. RIGHT?

Chuck

Comment

You are right, Chas821, it should remain ON until you remove the short or voltage across the terminals when it is in mode 3/input B (contact closure). My older unit works that way here. Have you tightened the screws to make sure the short isn't intermittent?

I wonder if you have some other device that is responding to the ON?
              |
              | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
              HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Gordon,

Thanks for the reply. I have no other device on the H/U code set on the Powerflash module. So there isn't anything that could repond to the on or off. And everything is tight. I have the module configured in the device screen as a powerflash module with status only. I just find it very stranger that 2 different modules would behave the same way. I guess I get to send the modules back (AGAIN) for replacement. Unless anyone else has an idea.

Chuck

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chas821:
                  Unless anyone else has an idea.
                  Chuck <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dumb question, probably, but is your circuit powered, or is it a true short?

If there's anything else powered on the circuit you're shorting, you could be getting shunted somewhere down the line.

Dan

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion but I have the inputs shorted with a straightened paper clip. I don't think these modules should behave like this and I'm gonna send them back.

What I'm trying to do is develope my own method of monitoring the power status of my AV gear. I built a composite video detection circuit that closes a relay when video is present. Interfaced with a powerflash module would give me a status in HS that I could monitor and base scripts on. All my video gear has power toggle only. No discreet on/off. If I can't get the powerflash modules to work right I have to go another way. I'll probably use the game port plugin.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                    X