www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug-in

HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug-in Discussions relating to the Z-Wave plug-in

Old July 13th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Seer Master

Schlage Lock

arghhh been beating my head against this silly lock trying to include it to my zwave network. Using a fairly new HS Smartstick. I've tried sitting the lock right next to the smartstick, removing, re-adding, etc. Always the same messages. Any ideas?

Jul-13 09:16:23 Z-Wave Node: 6 Supports Class(es): APPLICATION_STATUS, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC_V2, FIRMWARE_UPDATE_MD_V2, SECURITY, VERSION_V2
Jul-13 09:16:00 Z-Wave Warning If this is an import, you may need to remove and add the device as some devices cannot be added with an import.
Jul-13 09:16:00 Z-Wave Warning Failed to get a SECURITY SCHEME or verify the key from node 6. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.
Jul-13 09:16:00 Z-Wave Error Z-Wave was unable to negotiate a compatible security scheme with node 6
Jul-13 09:15:49 Z-Wave Adding using S0 Security, Negotiating or Verifying SECURITY SCHEME for node 6
Old July 13th, 2018, 10:52 AM
OverSeer

Did you try adding it using the non secure method. The new secure method is problematic and has a very high failure rate.
Old July 13th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Seer

This may be all things you've already tried, but ...

If it didn't add correctly, you'll want to do a removal first and then re-add.

You mention having the lock near the SmartStick during the addition – this is critical. How close do you have it? Schlage locks don't support Network Wide Inclusion so the SmartStick must be very close to the lock to add it. I usually keep the stick about 6 inches away – i.e., really, really close.

Also, the inclusion process takes a bit of time - about a full minute as HomeSeer not only has to query the locks capabilities, but also spends bit of time exchanging security keys. Make sure you don't move the SmartStick away from the lock until you get a clear message on HomeSeer that HomeSeer has completed the addition.

Finally, when all this is done, test the lock while HomeSeer / SmartStick are still nearby. When you move your HomeSeer computer back to its "ordinary" spot, you'll have to manually optimize your network or HomeSeer may not find the lock (they aren’t Z-Wave Plus compliant, so they are more sensitive to the optimization of the network). Generally I run "Optimize a network, no return route changes" at least twice followed by a "Fully Optimize the Network".

They’re good locks once properly added, but Schlage really needs to update them to Z-Wave Plus and Network Wide Inclusion – the current process is fraught with problems as you’re seeing.
Old July 14th, 2018, 02:07 AM
Seer Master

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried non-secure adding. No error messages but it only creates one device so that's a no-go.

Device is literally laying right next to the stick. Tried removing and re-adding several times with the same outcome... Maybe something in the latest Zwave beta's broke it.
Old July 14th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Seer Master

Also ran into an issue where the batteries got low enough to allow the lock to work locally, but the zwave part failed to connect. After replacing the batteries it connected immediately but then had to optimize the lock. This took place over a few days and thought someone had not locked the door but it was the batteries failing. Thus the other zwave devices in the area got new routing as this was out of the picture.

Stuart
Old July 15th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Seer

I just had this same problem two days ago with the same lock. What I did was:
1. Downloaded and installed an app on my android from the Playstore called Z-Tool.
2. Connected it to the HomeSeer server with the Z-Stick plugged into the server.
3. Moved the phone with the App close to the lock.
4. Selected Remove on the Z-Tool app.
5. On the Touchpad of the lock I selected Schlage, Enter the code in the last page of the user manual or on the back of the lock. If you don't have the user manual you have to take the lock off the door to see the back of the lock to get the code. Then I entered a zero.
You should get an orange dot on the bottom of the keypad.
Z-Tool with show that it's removing it.
6. In Z-Tool select Add Device. Select Schlage, Enter the code on the last page of the user manual, then zero. You should get the orange dot on the bottom of the keypad. Z-Tool should say it's adding it.
When Z-Tool asks for a name you need to swipe the screen down to Add a name and then select OK. It will let you enter a name.
7. Do the same swiping down on the next field to either add or find the next option. Select Ok.

Docfxit
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Seer Master

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried them all to no avail.

Rupp, I can add the device non-secure without error messages but it only creates one root device, no devices to control the lock.

The only thing I haven't tried is reverting back to a non-beta Zwave plugin...
Old July 21st, 2018, 07:14 PM
Viewer

I have 5 of BE469's in the homeseer and several more on other systems. I had a problem adding a couple of them. Ended up doing a factory reset on the lock. See page 12 in the Programing Guide.

Let me know if this helped.
Old Today, 08:20 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
I have 5 of BE469's in the homeseer and several more on other systems. I had a problem adding a couple of them. Ended up doing a factory reset on the lock. See page 12 in the Programing Guide.

Let me know if this helped.
Thanks for the suggestion Duane. Tried and got the same. I have been noticing some unusual behavior recently on my zwave network so may put the Zwave sniffer on it tonight and see if maybe I have a failing module out there making a bunch of noise.