This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker Client over WAN

I am trying to install a speaker client on my Work PC . I have configured it to connect to my public IP (which is current), i forwarded port 8742 on my Router to my HS PC but the speaker client just doesn't connect.

I can connect to HS from the same PC without any issues (obviously it is a different port but same IP)

Anyone got any ideas or pointers.

Thanks
    Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

a couple of years ago.. i was able to connect my work p.c... to the H.S. machine as a speaker client. (I don't do it any more since they changed my work P.C out.. I could have set it up again, but it falls into the category of "Gee that was neat to do".. but the distraction to benefit ratio was too high in my case.)

I know i had to open up/forward some new ports on my home router...

I also think that some office LANs block traffic on certain ports... so it might not be possible at all even if you have everything set up at Home correctly.

Sorry i can't be more help.. but as a start.. i'd check the Port Forwarding on your home router.
    Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Could it be a firewall issue on your HS PC?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Could it be a firewall issue on your HS PC?
        No, i have the firewall disabled at home and the port is open at work. I will double check my port forwarding on my home router but i'm pretty sure i set it up correctly.

Comment

Are you using a valid user account and password in the speaker app settings?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The easiest way to test TCP port connectivity is with this simple test:

On your work machine open a command prompt Windows-R > cmd > Enter

At the command prompt type

telnet public_ip 8742

substituting your public ip of course and press enter.

It will say "trying..." and if the dos screen goes blank you have established a 3-way TCP handshake. This confirms the entire network path. If it does go blank the problem is probably in authentication with the user account. If it doesn't, you still have one (or more) of the aforementioned problems - windows firewall, incorrect port forwarding, or ISP block. You can do the same test from your local LAN to isolate the HS machine.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
              The easiest way to test TCP port connectivity is with this simple test:

On your work machine open a command prompt Windows-R > cmd > Enter

At the command prompt type

telnet public_ip 8742

substituting your public ip of course and press enter.

It will say "trying..." and if the dos screen goes blank you have established a 3-way TCP handshake. This confirms the entire network path. If it does go blank the problem is probably in authentication with the user account. If it doesn't, you still have one (or more) of the aforementioned problems - windows firewall, incorrect port forwarding, or ISP block. You can do the same test from your local LAN to isolate the HS machine.
              It fails to connect so i'm thinking that maybe i messed up the settings on my router.

You don't think Cox would be blocking it do you?

Comment

Originally posted by neiltimms View Post
                It fails to connect so i'm thinking that maybe i messed up the settings on my router.

You don't think Cox would be blocking it do you?
                If Cox is you employer,then it could very well be that way. Company's nowadays only (should) open up ports when needed, and then even only directed to the right machines.

A workaround could be to use port forwarding. I use that for my RDP session:
                On your homerouter configure inside port 8742 to forward to 443 (secure port). On your work pc configure the speaker client to use port 443.
                do this only when you do not use https for HS from the house!

Port 443 is open for most companies, for it is the https port

It i sa trick but could work for you!

Wim
                -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                  If Cox is you employer,then it could very well be that way. Company's nowadays only (should) open up ports when needed, and then even only directed to the right machines.

A workaround could be to use port forwarding. I use that for my RDP session:
                  On your homerouter configure inside port 8742 to forward to 443 (secure port). On your work pc configure the speaker client to use port 443.
                  do this only when you do not use https for HS from the house!

Port 443 is open for most companies, for it is the https port

It i sa trick but could work for you!

Wim
                  No, Cox is my ISP, thats a good idea to use port 443, i do not use https for my HS access.

I need to check how i set it up as i thought i had configured it for port 8742.

Comment

Ok, i got it.

I had made the change to my router at home but hadn't "Applied" it.

Doh!

Comment

Working...
                    X