Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 Setup Question

Hi all,

I have a Digimax 210 RF Thermostat and the associated RF Receiver. As the thermostat is not programmable I want to use HomeSeer to set a schedule and control my boiler.

So I need a (cheap) way to get the thermostat information into HomeSeer / ActiveHome. I was thinking that I could connect the receiver to a Powerflash module somehow and that way the Powerflash module would send a signal to Activehome every time the thermostat changes the state of the boiler.

The receiver switches mains voltage (240v) so I'm unsure as to how I could rig up a Powerflash. Ideally it would send a signal if the receiver state changes. I presume I need some kind of high impedance load or somthing?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Zion.

I think the RFXCOM can receive the digimax thermostat, it would require you to buy the receiver and the plugin to get the data into HS. From then on you could use an appliance module or similar to control the boiler.

I take it you want to keep the digimax? You could look at other alternatives, I use a USB thermometer that I have got talking to HomeSeer (with a number of ways to change the temperature, iPhone, stick-a-switches etc) and a simple script that runs checking the temperature and turning on/off the central heating. Its a bit crude but does the job rather well. The dallas one wire temp sensors also can talk to HS very easily that can also do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      I think the RFXCOM can receive the digimax thermostat, it would require you to buy the receiver and the plugin to get the data into HS. From then on you could use an appliance module or similar to control the boiler.

I take it you want to keep the digimax? You could look at other alternatives, I use a USB thermometer that I have got talking to HomeSeer (with a number of ways to change the temperature, iPhone, stick-a-switches etc) and a simple script that runs checking the temperature and turning on/off the central heating. Its a bit crude but does the job rather well. The dallas one wire temp sensors also can talk to HS very easily that can also do the job.
      Hi,

I was hoping to avoid buying an RFXCOM right away as there are pretty pricey. I've paid for the Digimax so would like to keep it.

Seems like there should be a straightforward way to monitor the state of the Digimax receiver using a powerflash or similar, and get the information back to the PC that way.

I am, however, quite interested in your solution - particularly the iphone bit - how do you do that?

Thanks,

Z.

Comment

I'm not that familiar with the digimax unfortunately, i've just looked at it a few times on the web...I take it is like the DS10 modules in that it transmits some form of extended RF commands that require a special receiver to decode? What sort of receiver have you got, is it the alarm panel?

I think need to know what it transmits first, can't see why it needs a special receiver unless it transmits the temperature some how perhaps in the form of a security code...if it just transmitted demand/satisfied then I would've thought it could use the standard RF receiver.

The way i've done it is a bit longwinded and probably not the best, but works reasonably well for me;

Temp Data into HS -> logs the data to an ini file as to what the current temperature is -> event runs every couple of minutes checking if the temperature inside is less than the set point (also kept in the ini file), if it is less then turn the heating on. If it is greater than turn it off. The event also checks if it is between August and March (does not work outside this, although I can override it) and also checks if the outside temp is greater than 13 degrees. The central heating I have got running off a butchered WS10 that is screwed to the wall, instead of a socket on the front it has a fused connection plate that is wired to the boiler and pump.

I run HSTouch on the iPhone, using screens that I have created I have two buttons one for up and another for down, these buttons change the set point via another script. The same for the stick a switches. I also have it set up to decode incoming SMS messages, I can SMS to set the required temperature or query the temperature (more useful as I do not use the iPhone as a phone, its on a data only contract).

Here is the screen from the iPhone, hope i've explained it well enough!
        Last edited by mrhappy; July 22, 2010, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I'm not that familiar with the digimax unfortunately, i've just looked at it a few times on the web...I take it is like the DS10 modules in that it transmits some form of extended RF commands that require a special receiver to decode? What sort of receiver have you got, is it the alarm panel?

I think need to know what it transmits first, can't see why it needs a special receiver unless it transmits the temperature some how perhaps in the form of a security code...if it just transmitted demand/satisfied then I would've thought it could use the standard RF receiver.

The way i've done it is a bit longwinded and probably not the best, but works reasonably well for me;

Temp Data into HS -> logs the data to an ini file as to what the current temperature is -> event runs every couple of minutes checking if the temperature inside is less than the set point (also kept in the ini file), if it is less then turn the heating on. If it is greater than turn it off. The event also checks if it is between August and March (does not work outside this, although I can override it) and also checks if the outside temp is greater than 13 degrees. The central heating I have got running off a butchered WS10 that is screwed to the wall, instead of a socket on the front it has a fused connection plate that is wired to the boiler and pump.

I run HSTouch on the iPhone, using screens that I have created I have two buttons one for up and another for down, these buttons change the set point via another script. The same for the stick a switches. I also have it set up to decode incoming SMS messages, I can SMS to set the required temperature or query the temperature (more useful as I do not use the iPhone as a phone, its on a data only contract).

Here is the screen from the iPhone, hope i've explained it well enough!
          Hi,

I believe the Digimax transmits RF X10 Security commands, hence why you need an SC9000 panel or similar to receive (or the RFXCOM) or the proper Digimax receiver (which has a mains relay output) - this is what I have.

I'm thinking there has to be a high voltage equivalent of a powerflash module? Or I could wire up a simple relay circuit to allow the Digimax receiver to switch a low voltage circuit and then use a standard powerflash. Must be possible.

I like your Iphone solution a lot! At the moment I'm torn between HAL2000 and Homeseer.....that could swing it. What's the voice recognition like on Homeseer compared to HAL?

Thanks,

Z.

Comment

I did'nt know there was a DigiMax stand alone receiver, very useful...I've checked the specs and it looks like the DigiMax receiver has 24-240v relays. I would imagine that it would also be able to support lower

Comment

I did'nt know there was a DigiMax stand alone receiver, very useful...I've checked the specs and it looks like the DigiMax receiver has 24-240v relays. I would imagine that it would also be able to support lower
              Hi,

Oh it does 24v? I didn't see that - that makes things a lot easier, thanks.

Thanks for the info on the VR - seems in this respect HS is a little behind - HAL has VR that does not require training and its really quite good. Mind you to have a 'proper' VR setup you need expensive mic's and mixers anyway I gues....

Thanks again,

Z.

Comment

Working...
              X