Sprinkler Controller recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprinkler Controller recommendation?

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a sprinkler controller that works with Homeseer? I've only read about Rain8Net, and Etherrain (Rain8 seems to have much more plug-in options).. I was wondering if there were more options out there, or if either of these have any recommendations.

Originally posted by wntdone View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a sprinkler controller that works with Homeseer? I've only read about Rain8Net, and Etherrain (Rain8 seems to have much more plug-in options).. I was wondering if there were more options out there, or if either of these have any recommendations.
    I think Rain8Net kinda dominates for those who want to use Homeseer to control things. I have an IRRMaster (do a Google for it) which is cheaper, but is X10 instead of serial.

My own opinion is that the Etherrain is a bit too smart, in that it is really designed to let you program it via a computer but once programmed it does all the controlling itself, taking Homeseer out of the picture. If you want to use either MCSSprinklers or my package (Snevl Sprinklers) you probably want either the Rain8Net or IRRMaster.

Caveat: There may be others that fit the bill, but I'm not aware of them.

Steve

Comment

For HA you can "build" or roll your own if you don't want to use a Rain8 device. I've had mine about 7 years now running it with MCSsprinklers.

Some folks are just connecting switches to each of the sprinkler zone solenoids. Others connect their alarm panels (M1 or HAI) and manually write sprinkler schedules.

Personally I remember taking the Rainbird controller out the day after my sprinkler installation.

I like the flexibility (and I believe Steve's program is the same) in that I have the Rain8 connected to an X10 Palm pad and can walk around outside checking the sprinkler heads zone by zone.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
        I think Rain8Net kinda dominates for those who want to use Homeseer to control things.
        Steve

that is nice to know...

i have just a rain8 that i got a while ago.. dont even have a sprinkler system yet.... traded it on cocoontech for all my 1wire stuff a while back... maybe next year i will get it installed...

Originally posted by Pete View Post

Some folks are just connecting switches to each of the sprinkler zone solenoids. Others connect their alarm panels (M1 or HAI) and manually write sprinkler schedules.

I like the flexibility (and I believe Steve's program is the same) in that I have the Rain8 connected to an X10 Palm pad and can walk around outside checking the sprinkler heads zone by zone.
        wow never thought of that.. my concord 4 has 4 hardwired zones.. but that is above me...

the x10 palm pad is the reason why i got a rain8 (not sure the difference between the rain8 and rain8net....
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Jeff,

You wouldn't use the zone inputs but rather the zone outputs. With the panel you typically have the ability to output a closure or voltage. IE: the OPII uses two by default one for the inside siren and one for the outside siren.

When I had my sprinkler system installed I gave the guys a few extra bucks to run more 1-2" PVC lines which I ended up using for cameras and landscaping lights further away from the house. With the machine they use they can drop these lines in a couple of minutes. 3 sets of PVC tubes were also done for the brick mailbox, with the PVC tubes going into the Mailbox via the cement footing.

I left the Rainbird rain sensor in place and have it connected to a DS10A. Its like a sponge though and stay wet for a couple of days after it rains. Another thing I did was to organize the zones / wires in a clockwise fashion from the front of the house around to the other side. The sprinkler installers had not used any order such that zone 1 was in front and zone 2 was at the opposite side.

Whatever you do you will want some flexibility in the scheduling. I rely on the scheduling to save some water by using the alternate day / timeframes / soil moisture scenario. But ifs its just rained or there is a high chance of rain it skips the scheduled watering. If its watering and the wind picks up then it pauses the watering. All this though much more than the Rainbird ESP controller could offer.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The mcsSprinklers plug-in in conjunction with the rain8net relays works very well. (It can also run stand-alone, if you prefer.) There are three flavors of mcsSprinklers, depending on how involved you want to get. The pro version is expensive and complex, but very complete in features. At the other end, the basic version offers all the basic functionality of most commercial programmable timers. Most important: Michael McSharry is also very responsive and helpful.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
            X