Does RFXCOM plugin replace ACRF2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does RFXCOM plugin replace ACRF2?

I just paid to upgrade the ACRF2 plugin. Now I see a new RFXCOM plugin on the updater - Actually downloaded and started testing.

Looks pretty much like it does the same job as ACRF2 except I don't think it handles the W800.

This is kind of surprising to me as the ACRF (and now the ACRF2) has sort of been one of the flagship plugins for HS. He who cannot be named got kicked off the board for competing w/DooMotion.

What's up?

Confused.

The RFXCOM plugin does not replace the ACRF2.

When using a W800 you only can choose for the ACRF2, ACRF or xAP plug-in.
    When using the RFXCOM receivers you can choose the RFXCOM, ACRF2, ACRF or xAP plug-in.
    When the RFXCOM transmitter is used you select the RFXCOM plug-in.
    This is mainly used in Europe to control cheap RF plug-in KlikOn-KlikOff, DomiaLite, NEXA, ELRO AB600 and HomeEasy units.

The RFXCOM plug-in has in addition integrated functions for graphical charts for the RFXSensor, RFXMeter utility metering sensors and Oregon Scientific sensors and body weight scales. The RFXCOM plug-in doesn't have shadowing and this needs a script if you like to use that functionality.
    Future RFXCOM developments are immediatly implemented in the plug-in.

Bert

Comment

Screen shots of the charts please?

Are you going to upgrade the RFXcharting package for us ACRF users and or can we use it with ACRF.

Thanks

Thom

Comment

Thom,
        The charts for the RFXCOM plug-in can not be used for other plug-ins.
        I have no possibility anymore to test the old charts so for requested changes you can try to post this here http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=118165

The charts for the RFXCOM plug-in support the Oregon sensors including the body weight scales. If you need more charts you can copy the RFXWeather.aspx from the html\RFXUSER directory and change the chart selection in the coding.
        Code:
        If hs.GetINISetting("DeviceI" & dv.dc, "Chart", "No", INI_FILE) = "2" Then
        Change to
        If hs.GetINISetting("DeviceI" & dv.dc, "Chart", "No", INI_FILE) = "3" Then
        A chart indicator "No" or 1 to 9 can be assigned to the environental sensors in the RFXCOM config page.

Bert

Comment

Thom,

I have placed some example charts for utility metering, RFXSensor A/D and voltage, wind, rain, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and Body Weight at the bottom of this page: http://www.rfxcom.com/downloads.htm

Bert

Comment

With a great deal of help from Bert, I have been playing around with the RFXCOM Plug-in and charts for the last couple of weeks, prior to it being in the updater.

I'm at work at the moment, but I will post a couple of screenshots showing some of the modified charts I have created. This was a steep learning curve for me as I don't do asp or html, but I got there in the end. I also created an extra set of (green) buttons to go under the hs menu for the different charts then I don't have to use up all my custom pages.

Thom:
            Sorry, I never did get round to sorting that wind script. I can't get hold of a new sensor until April. If you decide to get setup with RFX charts though, you won't really need it.

Sooty (Paul)

Comment

A couple of screenshots.

Haven't got the UV, baro & wind on there yet and I still have some work to do for windchill and dewpoint which is in progress.

Sooty..
              Attached Files

Comment

Competition is good and if 2 plugins do similar things in different ways then personally I see no issue - you pays your money and takes your choice.

I think ACRF is great - and I think RFXCOM is great - and I have had great support from both "providers" - HS would be half the product (for me) without both of these.

But - I am always looking for what's best for me - so - is the RFXCOM plugin well documented - if so where are the docs - I'll take a look and see if I want to make any changes to my system.

As ever - just opinions.

Malarcy

Comment

Originally posted by Malarcy View Post
                  Competition is good and if 2 plugins do similar things in different ways then personally I see no issue - you pays your money and takes your choice.

I think ACRF is great - and I think RFXCOM is great - and I have had great support from both "providers" - HS would be half the product (for me) without both of these.

But - I am always looking for what's best for me - so - is the RFXCOM plugin well documented - if so where are the docs - I'll take a look and see if I want to make any changes to my system.

As ever - just opinions.

Malarcy
                  and I might as well add my opinions to... so I will try and not sound rude to either side... as I too am torn....

I am torn at...
                  1. ACRF2 plugin needs renewing as I use the scale now so it is a needed plugin as I have the rfxcom 433 and w800 antennea

2. RFXCom plugin - price is almost the same as the ACRF2 plugin so a good competitor for me.... although 1 delema... w800 does not work with the rfxcom plugin... unless I buy the $65 slave for 310 from rfxcom.... now I will put it nicely this time as I was a bit harsh last time...

forget what the true price is but think it is $28ish?? for acrf2 renewal or $20 introductory price for rfxcom plugin + $65 for slave adapter + 5% processing fee (most likely to recoop paypal fees.... understood)..... plus shipping... just added to my cart and $74 and change.... so $95ish for rfxcom

so in the long run.... ACRF2 is cheaper....however.... RFXCom has the chartdirector charts!!!!! a big plus to me...

I am eventually going to buy the electric monitoring stuff from cheapertronics..... hopefully mid to late summer... after the concord 4 alarm (mid March) and sprinkler system (June/July)

so not sure yet... im gonna wait a bit longer... also my hs install is not tying up my house if it shuts down the acrf2 plugin for now..... our lives will still go on...
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I use both plugins right now.

I already had ACRF2 but I need to be able transmit RF X10 as described below and only RFXCOM does that well (much better than my unstable 433 MR19 and USB driver which is now very unsupported)

I have posted before that, for various historical (and hysterical) reasons I have W800-310, MR26A-433 and RFXCOM Ethernet/Wifi (Dual RX 433+310 +433 tx). I have both ACRF2 and RFXCOM. ACRF2 allows me to use the MR26A and W800 and RFXCOM RX all at once -if I want.

I use ACRF2 for all the receivers (even dual 310/433 master slave RFXCOM) and use RFXCOM only for transmission of wireless X10. I have found that if I have 3 RF to X10 receivers (TM13AU), one on each power phase in the house, I can pretty reliably control X10 devices on that phase via RFXCOM tx. The main advantage is I can locate TM13AU at the optimum place on the phase, or move it any time AND I don't need my CR234 X10 3 phase X10 bridge/amp which I think died in a storm a while back. Each TM13AU is in effect a wireless operated CM11 for single house code synced to the phase it is on.

I think I can do all this with RFXCOM plugin alone for tx and rx, but both plugins are a work of art (and have slight differences in how they work and chart etc) and the authors provide very responsive support.

The biggest new expense in my setup is the RFXCOM hardware which is also freely locatable in the house since it is the wifi variant. (just moved it to another room more central in the house, took 2 minutes)

I can understand either is a good choice for RX. If you want to TX X10 (or any of the other wireless power controllers mostly in europe) RFXCOM allows a wireless replacement for the CM11A in HS when paired with one or more TM13AU or equivalent.

cheers,

Phil

Comment

Please confirm,

You can run both plugins at the SAME time correct,

Thanks

Thom

Comment

Originally posted by GreenAcres View Post
                        Please confirm,

You can run both plugins at the SAME time correct,

Thanks

Thom
                        Thom,

Yes I run ACRF2 and RFXCOM at at the same time. On HS2 .70.
                        As all the RF tx/rx devices are windows COM serial ports (hardware or virtual) you just make sure that you use a unique COM port, and only select it in one of the plug-ins at a time. So Your hardware can only be associate with either plugin but not both at the same time just by associating the COM port to whichever plugin's setup screen you wish to use that hardware.

Note: I am using ACRF2 for receiving, and RFXCOM for transmission. I am not sure if you can use both for receiving at the same time.

cheers,

Phil
                        Last edited by psampson; March 2, 2008, 07:45 AM.

Comment

great topic

Great )))))))))))))
                          WBR,
                          Alex

Comment

Working...
                          X