Importing distant nodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing distant nodes

I have several nodes that are more than one hop from my one Z-Wave Z-Stick Interface and I was getting import errors every now and then, especially with battery devices in a detached garage. Through trial and error, what I found worked for me was to add my new devices while holding them next to my hardwired Interface. Then once they added/imported/scanned cleanly, I'd set their required configuration and associations. Finally I'd install them at the distant location and ONLY optimize them from there - I now never rescan/configure/associate devices more than one hop away.
    As you have a moveable Z-Troller that's different from my hardwired USB Z-Stick, my note may not be relevant, but you never know.
    All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Actually, it's not the Add that's the problem, as you say with a Z-Troller which is portable I can do the Add at the node location. This works fine, the node is included in the network, responds to All Lights On/Off, etc.

The problem is that when I go back to HomeSeer to Import/Scan and actually make the nodes usable, it won't reach them. Since my nodes are hardwired switches, scanning them near the Z-Troller and then re-optimizing is not really that practical. If I'm forced to I'll do it, using a laptop and moving the Z-Troller rather than the nodes, but I have to say it's a poor implementation of a what's supposed to be an extendable mesh network. Not sure if the fault is with HomeSeer or inherent to all Z-Wave.

Comment

For my hardwireable switches I still add/import/scan/etc next to the Interface. I just use a PC cord with the socket cut off and temporarily use twist locks for the 3 electrical wires to power up the device. When everything is cleanly imported and tested, I then disconnect the device from the temporary power cord, install it at its final remote location and optimize it. All previous issues I had went away when I started using this approach. Good luck!
        All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

That is a great idea! I may start using that!

Comment

Working...
          X