No announcement yet.

Hst-iwac7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My device has Android 2.2... This should be the reason why it doesn't work in the same way... I bought mine on October 2012... Thanks for your help.

Comment

Power up problems

I posted this as a separate thread but thought I would ask here also. Sorry for the dupe.

I purchased 2 of the new HST-IWAC7 ICS 4.0.3 Touchscreens when they first came in several weeks ago but I was traveling and just now had time to start working with them. I got them both up and running finally but I did have a little bit of trouble with them. I think it may be power related as the issue was with getting them to power up when I connected them to my POE hub. When I disconnect and reconnect, they sometimes don't want to power up. The hub is a D-Link DES-1008PA with 4 802.3af compatible ports (i.e. 48V 15.4W ea). This is the same as the injectors being sold with the Touchscreen units but I am wondering if the units really need 802.3at ports that are capable of sourcing more power (i.e. 48V 30W ea). Anyone else having trouble with getting these new units to power up on 15W POE ports? I didn't have any trouble with the previous HST-IWAR7 units using these same ports.

Comment

Originally posted by GlennWo View Post
        I posted this as a separate thread but thought I would ask here also. Sorry for the dupe.

I purchased 2 of the new HST-IWAC7 ICS 4.0.3 Touchscreens when they first came in several weeks ago but I was traveling and just now had time to start working with them. I got them both up and running finally but I did have a little bit of trouble with them. I think it may be power related as the issue was with getting them to power up when I connected them to my POE hub. When I disconnect and reconnect, they sometimes don't want to power up. The hub is a D-Link DES-1008PA with 4 802.3af compatible ports (i.e. 48V 15.4W ea). This is the same as the injectors being sold with the Touchscreen units but I am wondering if the units really need 802.3at ports that are capable of sourcing more power (i.e. 48V 30W ea). Anyone else having trouble with getting these new units to power up on 15W POE ports? I didn't have any trouble with the previous HST-IWAR7 units using these same ports.
        Mine are running off a Linksys 24 port POE switch, along with two Panasonic webcams and my Linksys Wireless Access Point. I allocate 15400 milliwatts per port (15.4 watts) and my IWAC7 units run just fine. In fact they often pull much less power than allocated - right now they're pulling less than 3000 milliwatts each.
        Last edited by Techvet; March 30, 2013, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgmp View Post
          My device has Android 2.2... This should be the reason why it doesn't work in the same way... I bought mine on October 2012... Thanks for your help.
          Yep, that would explain it. Android 4.0 makes a lot of difference. I wonder if the is a way for you to upgrade to version 4.0?

Comment

IWAC7 losing connection to HSTouch Server

Techvet,

Originally posted by Techvet View Post
            The solution I landed on was to set the sleep value on the display to 5 minutes and in the Developer Options section to check the box that say something about keeping the display awake during charging. .... My experience so far is that on occasion if the unit goes to sleep, it takes a minute of so for HSTouch to come to its senses
            Are you still having the issue with the unit going to sleep and loosing connection to HSTouch? I have the HSTouch server send unsolicited commands to the touchpanels (i.e. display forecast screen at 6:30am each morning). The problem is that HS isn't seeing the touchpanels because they dropped the connection. Did setting the Developer Option to keep the display awake fix the HSTouch disconnect problem for you? I just changed that option and guess I will see in the morning if it works or not.

Comment

Originally posted by GlennWo View Post
              Techvet,

Are you still having the issue with the unit going to sleep and loosing connection to HSTouch? I have the HSTouch server send unsolicited commands to the touchpanels (i.e. display forecast screen at 6:30am each morning). The problem is that HS isn't seeing the touchpanels because they dropped the connection. Did setting the Developer Option to keep the display awake fix the HSTouch disconnect problem for you? I just changed that option and guess I will see in the morning if it works or not.
              The set-up I now have stays connected all the times and HS stays updated regardless of what the display is doing, including when I manually cycle the screen off (with a short press of the power button). Also make sure that you check the box that says 'Stay Connected' in the HS Touch App settings.

Comment

Ditto here

Originally posted by Techvet View Post
                The set-up I now have stays connected all the times and HS stays updated regardless of what the display is doing, including when I manually cycle the screen off (with a short press of the power button). Also make sure that you check the box that says 'Stay Connected' in the HS Touch App settings.
                Mine stay connected, too, now that I've set the 'Stay connected' in the HSTouch settings and the developer option in Android.

FWIW
                Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Me too!

Yes, since changing the setting in Developer, mine now stay connected even if I turn off the display screen using a quick press of the front button. This seems to be a solid solution and much better than the previous version from a performance perspective. I mounted the two I purchased and ordered one additional display yesterday for a total of three once it comes in.

Comment

I've made these settings changes last night. I expect I'll have the same success as others. Thanks for the info.

I am having an issue that is pretty annoying. I had three of the earlier resistive models and sold them to buy three of the upgraded screens. The response and screen is great. However, it's way too sensitive. When I try to scroll, most of the time as soon as I touch the screen it selects an action as if I had tapped it. Trying to scroll through a long list quickly results in my selecting an item rather than scrolling. I have a Galaxy Nexus phone, and don't have this issue. I have to deliberately tap the item to select. I've only tested one of my screens so far. Are other users having this problem? If it drives me crazy, no way my wife will be happy with it.

Thank you,
                    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin L View Post
                      I've made these settings changes last night. I expect I'll have the same success as others. Thanks for the info.

I am having an issue that is pretty annoying. I had three of the earlier resistive models and sold them to buy three of the upgraded screens. The response and screen is great. However, it's way too sensitive. When I try to scroll, most of the time as soon as I touch the screen it selects an action as if I had tapped it. Trying to scroll through a long list quickly results in my selecting an item rather than scrolling. I have a Galaxy Nexus phone, and don't have this issue. I have to deliberately tap the item to select. I've only tested one of my screens so far. Are other users having this problem? If it drives me crazy, no way my wife will be happy with it.

Thank you,
                      Kevin
                      I'll be the first to admit that these screens can be a little quirky and they can seem sensitive. I've found that a firm press when scrolling works better than a light one, but even that is not 100%. Unfortunately, there is no screen sensitivity setting on the stock OS interface. Perhaps they may give us an OS upgrade opportunity at some point. Luckily, none of my HS screens require scrolling, so it's not much of a factor for me at the moment.

FWIW, I've had a total of 5 screens shipped to my house and two had to be returned. One was pretty messed up when it came to touch sensitivity - some areas of the screen were crazy sensitive, while others were totally dead. The other defective unit refused to establish an IP address. I tried dynamic and static setups and got nothing. I even took the drastic step of a full factory reset and still got nothing. For their part, HomeSeer has been FANTASTIC, each time giving me a RMA number. Hopefully the manufacturing QA will improve over time, but for the time being I'm very pleased. I'm still hoping for an app/plug-in solution for better screen control, but the current solution is workable long term if need be.

James

Comment

Thanks, James.

I have tried a firmer touch when scrolling, and it seems to help some.

Regarding your bad units, that prompted me to unbox and hook up the other two units I bought so I can test them.

Thanks, again.
                        Kevin

Comment

Final Screen Install and Things Are Looking Good!

I returned home Friday to find the replacement IWAC7 waiting for me and I quickly got it up and running. I've gotten pretty adept at doing this and can have a screen up, running and fully programmed with the HS Touch screens in 5-10 minutes. I had pre-cut the last opening and run the POE cable, so it was literally plug and play. I now have 4 of these screens in my house that replaced the LCD screens my CommStar used.

The configuration on all of them is as I noted earlier: Sleep in 5 minutes, but the "Screen Stays on During Charging" box is checked under Developer Options. The screens dim down nicely and brighten with the first touch. A quick press of the power button kills the screen, but the HSTouch app stays connected. Another quick press and it comes back to life.

Tasker is installed on one screen, but it's deactivated and does nothing. All of the screens have Weatherbug Elite loaded so I can bounce out and look at a radar picture if I want plus look at a a forecast beyond the 48 hours show on my HSTouch main screen. All of the screens also have Null Keyboard installed and activated. This kills the Android pop-up keyboard so the Passcode screen works properly when we activate/deactivate the alarm.

My system screens control 90% of all the home lighting, all the HVAC functions, the Caddx alarm system and the opening/closing of the garage doors. I'm going to stop tweaking now and let things run in place for the next two weeks, checking for screen responsiveness, etc. So far I am VERY pleased with the results and we have very high WAF at the moment.

Comment

Interesting Observation

Well it has been a week running all 4 screens and everything has gone well aside from one small glitch. For the past 5 years I have struggled to get my family to use our alarm system. The HS set-up with IWAC7 units has changed that and they actually use the alarm now! But... I ran into an issue with the passcode screen that perplexed me until today.

Here's the situation. If the alarm system is armed and you triggered an entry delay, then I have an event that turns on the entry/hallway lights and calls up the alarm screen on the IWAC7 units. My alarm screen is passcode protected, so the passcode screen is what actually pops up. All is well until the IWAC7 units timeout back to the default (Main) screen. If you actually use the passcode screen to access the alarm screen, then the IWAC7 unit will go to the default screen and everything works fine. However, the IWAC7 units that were NOT used to access the alarm screen will immediately lock up and become non-responsive as soon as the default screen gets called up. It took some fiddling with the system to sort it out, but it seems like the passcode screen is a one-way screen, meaning that you can't escape or back out of it without it locking the HSTouch client. Exiting out of the client and restarting it brings it right back up, but that's not a viable solution. Another fix is to remove the passcode feature (unacceptable). What I ultimately decided to do was to have the event bounce to an intermediate screen, from which you can call up the passcoded alarm screen. It detracts a fraction from the WAF, but it's workable. I think I'll submit this as a bug report, but it may or may not be fixable.

Comment

HST-IWAC7 failier

Well, one of the three touch screens I purchased took a dump. Nothing but random color static on it. I have put in a help desk ticked to get it replaced. Hope this is not a trend.

Ken

Comment

Bummer! These screens carry a 1 year warranty, so i'd be surprised if HS doesn't replace it. I picked up a spare screen from the special sale last week and tested it out over this past weekend. It's back in its box in the event one of mine craps out or my wife decides she wants another somewhere else. I was surprised to see them discounted that much and wondered if HS was purposefully trying to get rid of them. I just checked and they are out of stock again, but still show as an inventory item, so perhaps they were just clearing stock.

FWIW, my 4 screens are running great so far. Fixing the alarm entry event so that it didn't trigger a passcoded screen remedied my problems. The family seems to like them and they use them a great bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X