This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't seem to get keypadlinc working

Hi, fairly new to Insteon but have lots of remotes & modules up and running with HS3, along with z-wave and Philips Hue.

I'm trying out a keypadlinc but can't seem to get it to do anything in regards to triggering events. I didn't want to go through and program any groups since not all (in fact none) of the devices it's going to control are Insteon; they're z-wave switches and other modules.

So basically it's a glorified 8 button remote control mounted to the wall.

But I can't seem to get it to do anything once it's set up. Here's the setup (and I've already tried a factory reset and repogram and it does the same thing):

Device Link Table

Link #5 Load has local control reporting to HomeSeer
    Link #1 Button A is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level: 0%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #2 Button A is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
    Link #4 Button A is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #1 (Button Control Group) - On Level:
    , Ramp Rate:
    Link #6 Button A is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #254 (HomeSeer All Devices Group) - On Level:
    , Ramp Rate:
    Link #7 Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level : On
    Link #3 Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #9 (Button Control Group) - On Level :

Dual-Band KeypadLinc Dimmer Channels
    Shows all eight buttons plus a ninth "load". I am not using the red wire on this so I don't care about the load option.

In the log (even under the debug level) no entries are recorded for button presses. Usually you'd see something like "Button A pressed ON" or something but nothing here.

Any thoughts?

The HS3 devices were also created so I based my scenes on it
    Attached Files

Comment

please do a factory reset on the kpl according to the users guide ,and then put the kpl into linking mode (hold set btn for 3 secs) and use the 'program device for homeseer' button on the device page within the plugin

do not delete the device from the plugin.

you should see links like the following after programming. there will be a few others as well. 10 in all i believe.

Link #5 Button A has local control reporting to HomeSeer
      Link #1 Button B has local control reporting to HomeSeer
      Link #2 Button C has local control reporting to HomeSeer
      Link #3 Button D has local control reporting to HomeSeer
      Link #6 Button E has local control reporting to HomeSeer
      Link #7 Button F has local control reporting to HomeSeer
      Link #8 Button G has local control reporting to HomeSeer
      Link #9 Button H has local control reporting to HomeSeer
      Last edited by mnsandler; April 30, 2018, 05:38 PM. Reason: changed remote to kpl. added links. the link #s aren't important
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

So far, no go. Did this procedure twice and I get the same links. I'm going to now try starting completely over -- factory reset device, delete device from HS3, start over.

Here's what it says along the steps after clicking the reprogram button:

Your Insteon device Sun Room Eight btn keypadLinc (4D.52.8C) has been programmed.

Program Remote Record not needed for 4D.52.8C to A20121455ABF1F10

Same links show up as in my original post.

Comment

I just started over...

I'm a linux guy so when I do things like this it reminds me of Microsoft. I turned it off and on again.

Anyway, I swear I did this reset procedure before but this time I got different results. Tap added the device again, then hit the reprogram links button and got lots of links this time:

Link #3 Button A/Load has local control reporting to HomeSeer
          Link #4 Button B has local control reporting to HomeSeer
          Link #5 Button C has local control reporting to HomeSeer
          Link #6 Button D has local control reporting to HomeSeer
          Link #7 Button E has local control reporting to HomeSeer
          Link #8 Button F has local control reporting to HomeSeer
          Link #9 Button G has local control reporting to HomeSeer
          Link #10 Button H has local control reporting to HomeSeer
          Link #2 Button A/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level: 0%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
          Link #1 Button A/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #0 (i2CS Registration Link) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .5 Sec.
          Link #12 Button A/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #1 (Button Control Group) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .1 Sec.
          Link #11 Button A/Load is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #254 (HomeSeer All Devices Group) - On Level: 100%, Ramp Rate: .1 Sec.
          Link #13 Button B is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #2 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
          Link #14 Button C is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #3 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
          Link #15 Button D is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #4 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
          Link #16 Button E is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #5 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
          Link #17 Button F is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #6 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
          Link #18 Button G is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #7 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On
          Link #19 Button H is controlled by HomeSeer using RF Dongle Group #8 (Button Control Group) - On Level : On

It's probably going to work now... thanks!

Comment

One more question....

Do you know why the backlight on the "A" button stays on all the time? It blinks when pressing the button but it stays on regardless of the operation it's performing.

I tried changing the Op flag for the Load to enabled but it doesn't seem to make a difference unless I need to do something in HS3 after making that change.

Thanks!

Comment

By the way, I went to the HS3 devices page and found button "A" was in the ON state (as well as all the other buttons but their backlights are not on) and when I turned it off in HS3 the led went out.

But after the first event to toggle the z-wave device triggered by this button the led came back on to stay.

Is there a way to manually control the LED status via events in HS3?

It would be neat to turn the LEDs on or off based on the device it's controlling, which I could do in the events.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcentire View Post
                Do you know why the backlight on the "A" button stays on all the time? It blinks when pressing the button but it stays on regardless of the operation it's performing.

I tried changing the Op flag for the Load to enabled but it doesn't seem to make a difference unless I need to do something in HS3 after making that change.

Thanks!
                make sure the settings on the device page within the plugin are set to Toggle mode for all your buttons

the op flag for load is only needed if you actually have a device connected to the red/load line.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

By the way, I went to the HS3 devices page and found button "A" was in the ON state (as well as all the other buttons but their backlights are not on) and when I turned it off in HS3 the led went out.

But after the first event to toggle the z-wave device triggered by this button the led came back on to stay.

Is there a way to manually control the LED status via events in HS3?

It would be neat to turn the LEDs on or off based on the device it's controlling, which I could do in the events.
                  if you poll the device from hs, do the hs devices get updated to the physical device.

you should be able to manually control the kpl btns via hs events-this is a standard feature.

something is screwy with your kpl.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks!

I'm all set -- I didn't realize the buttons should be in the toggle mode so I switched them and had to change/create events to handle on/off events instead of having one event that simply toggles a light when an ON is sent.

Anyway, I also decided to make separate events called something like "Update keypadlinc F" for example, to update the button LED based on the state of the light. Fortunately, this is a single event that looks for a change in a device and then with Spud's easytrigger plugin he has an option called "set a device to another device" so that changes the LED based on what the target device's status is.

I did notice for this to work that I needed to update some of my z-wave devices to use "100" as the ON value (most were 254/255) since that's what the keypad is expecting for an LED to turn on. I know I could also change the keypadlinc setting to something other than 100.

Comment

To clarify, the reason I do the separate "update" events is so if I control a device by other means (smartphone app, daily timed trigger, other remote control, HS web device page, etc.) the LED button will update.

This works perfectly and I really like it. Now on to ordering custom button faces.... (ugh, this is getting a little expensive but it's so much more reliable than z-wave, at least for me).

I've been slowly replacing z-wave remotes and relay switch devices with Insteon and it's *very* satisfying to have things just work as expected.

Comment

I did notice for this to work that I needed to update some of my z-wave devices to use "100" as the ON value (most were 254/255) since that's what the keypad is expecting for an LED to turn on. I know I could also change the keypadlinc setting to something other than 100.
                        i do not recommend changing any of the insteon device values. everything the plugin does to is based on 0 to 100.

when you get to the point where you are using insteon switches you will see that if you control the the switch manually, you can have it turn on/off the keypad light via an insteon link rather than using events and other plugins.

in order for the plugin to keep the hs devices updated, the values cannot be changed.

glad its all working
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                        X