Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infrared Remote Manager Software

Hi Folks,

I have just looked at a new piece of software that was brought to my attention from another mailing list. I didn't see any other posts on this subject on this board so I thought that I would bring it to your attention just in case it would be helpful for some of you. Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/tdanro/

There is even a web interface for this utility.

By the way, ... disclosure: I have not tried this software and by no means am I affiliated with this project or person.

Bernie

these IR interfaces use software big-banging on the handshake lines of a serial port. I've never quite understood how one can be sure that the timng can be maintained - where the program gets interrupted to run some Kernel or other application ((I/O interrupts and preemptive multitasking). Maybe their software for NT/XP/2K somehow runs in the privilidged mode and disables interrutpts? This would work for transmission, but not reception.

Hmmm, must work though - it's popular.

Comment

Possible alternative for those wanting a PCIR for XP. The main difference may be that the computer does not generate the 40KHZ carrier frequency. There are various schematics on the robotics sites where a 555 chip is used to generate the carrier and, the computer then modulates the carrier. The software could be useful in decoding the IR signals.
      Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

For IR reception I use the $35 irMan. Foolproof. Simple. Just plug it into the serial port of the pc and go. Use your own software or others. It sends serial data, and has no timing sensitivities related to the hosting PC's OS. This is because irMan has a $3 microprocessor to do this timing sensitive work and spits out ASCII on the serial cable. At its price, a DIY seems imprudent.

Comment

The irMan sounds good for controlling the pc with an IR remote, but most people seem to want a cheap device to attach to the pc where the pc controls IR devices. Can the irMan be controlled by the pc to output IR signals to control external IR devices like VCRs and such? Seems that most gizmos that do this are in the $100+ range. Need a clever way to computer control a cheap handheld IR remote control.

Comment

irMan is IR-receive only.
            Since the demise of the cheap X10 handheld TV IR remote which had a PC interface, I've seen few or no IR senders which use the PC serial port in real serial data mode.

Comment

I keep being intrigued by the fact that most every $10 universal hand held IR remote has most of what is needed for PC IR control of almost every IR device. At the below link I make use of the channel up button pins in one to remotely change channels via the web. The chip has 12 pins that control all the functions from the 31 buttons on it. The pins are setup in a 12X12 array where each of the buttons makes contact between two of the 12 pins (144 possible combos, but just 31 are used). The chip has 32 pins, which are very easy to solder a wire to. I haven't found what 10 of the 32 pins on the chip do (if anything). Maybe some of the more experienced electronic types have some info on hacking these types of chips or data sheet sources.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/irmods.htm

Comment

zoomkat,

I think I can improve your idea a bit. If you use one of the One-For-All (OFA)universal remotes, they are programmable/upgradeable with a PC. They also have an extensive capability to do macros. You need a parallel to 6-pin interface (two resistors and a diode from memory) and freeware. However, the commands cannot be executed by that PC interface.

The cheapest new OFA remote is probably the URC-6011 sells for $10 plus shipping and but you have to add an EEPROM for a few $ (or you can buy the URC-8811 with the 2K EEPROM already installed for $19 plus shipping). The beauty of the 6011 is that you can add a much bigger EEPROM and get more storage for upgrades and macros fo very little additional cost.

Their is a very active member support group with about 4,000 members and lots of tools, device libraries for upgrades etc.

So add your concept to one of these remotes and you get an extremely versatile unit that can do discrete commands etc. Also there is a lot known about the hardware.

-Jon

Comment

whoops wrong button and it won't let me delete.

[This message was edited by JPLeedsUK on Thursday, 26 September 2002 at 06:20 PM.]

Comment

Working...
                  X