Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure where this goes - but help? Motion sensor temp disable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where this goes - but help? Motion sensor temp disable?

Sorry for posting in general... but I am trying to figure the best way to accomplish something that shouldn't be too difficult...

I have a motion sensor in the garage wired to a UPB Input / Output controller. When anyone enters the garage the light comes on. Simple enough and works great.

Here's the tricky part / problem. When I am done in the garage at night, and come inside, I have to turn the light off (UPB wall switch) and then try to carefully close the door and slip my arm in to prevent it from tripping again and turning the light back on, by picking up the door close motion.

What I'd like to do is upon pressing the bottom rocker on the UPB dimmer switch, turn off the lights and disable the motion detector (IO controller sense) for 1 minute or whatever to give me time to close the gosh-darned door without having to 'play the game.'

Any thoughts or pointers are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Adam

Originally posted by Adam12hicks View Post
    Sorry for posting in general... but I am trying to figure the best way to accomplish something that shouldn't be too difficult...

I have a motion sensor in the garage wired to a UPB Input / Output controller. When anyone enters the garage the light comes on. Simple enough and works great.

Here's the tricky part / problem. When I am done in the garage at night, and come inside, I have to turn the light off (UPB wall switch) and then try to carefully close the door and slip my arm in to prevent it from tripping again and turning the light back on, by picking up the door close motion.

What I'd like to do is upon pressing the bottom rocker on the UPB dimmer switch, turn off the lights and disable the motion detector (IO controller sense) for 1 minute or whatever to give me time to close the gosh-darned door without having to 'play the game.'

Any thoughts or pointers are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Adam
    Many ways... when you press the button, set a virtual device status (maybe named "Garage Automation Enable") to OFF. Have that button press also trigger a delayed event that changes that same Garage Automation Enable status to ON after 1 minute.

Now in your automation for the garage that is causing grief, check that the automation is enabled before allowing device action.

In this way, you get the automation you desire, with the added ability to manually disable the automation anytime for as long as you like. You could also trigger that Garage Automation Enable to OFF by a specific set of conditions like Garage door open, Garage/House door open, and not dark outside. Just thoughts. Pick what works for your situation.
    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get notification of this last reply. This is what I needed and will get it set up as such. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Adam

Comment

Working...
      X