Hue motion sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hue motion sensor

Philips decided to do a new step http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/motion-sensor

Sadly, I have asked them several times now, they are not willing to enable the motion sensor to send signals directly to the outside world, There will be no forward of signals from the bridge......

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

They are making a mistake. Nothing Phillips writes works as well with their hardware as JowiHue does.

Comment

Originally posted by mikaluch View Post
      Nothing Phillips writes works as well with their hardware as JowiHue does.
      Mike,

Did not see that one coming Thanks for the compliment

Wim
      -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Received the motion sensor

Thought I'd give you an update on my experiences

I have received the motion sensor three days ago. I have been using motion sensors all over the house for years now, and I do like how the Philips sensors work. The response within the bridge is really good on a 'simple' config of a dimmerswitch, a tap, the motion sensor(s) and 22 lights. Currently I am using a mix of X10 motion sensors and Zwave sensors. The X10 motion sensors are sometimes missing out because of batteries getting weaker, and all of my Zwave motion sensor are checking a quite narrow area (beam) and are therefore not really fit to cover a whole room. I have tested the Philips motion sensor on this and coverage of the room is very good. As it is reporting battery level, I should be warned if battery goes down, which the X10 sensors are not doing.

I have updated JowiHue to support the basic motion sensor by (I still hate it...) polling. The reason is that I want to use the motion sensor (any) to control all the house, including blinds, heater, alarm, media etc. So in my opinion a motion sensor should be able to control more than just lights. On my V2 bridge I am polling every 2 seconds, which does not miss a beat. I also have a V1 bridge, which does delay once or twice a day on the 2 second polling frequency, so it seems to be a bit slower in response.

With this polling frequency I am testing the Philips motion sensor to control zwave lights in a more or less critical area, my hallway. Normally this was controlled by an X10 motion sensor. My measurement for the response is simple: If I enter the hallway, I want the lights to be on at half-a-step or one-step in the room (hallway in this case). With the x10 motion sensor this worked most of the time, besides a delay in response now and then (once every 50 times or so, or when batteries are low.).

Now, including the polling from the plugin I was very much surprised to see that the motion sensor in combination with the plugin was able to switch the zwave light on within my response expectation! I was expecting it would not be acceptable for me....

And I annoyed my wife yesterday by stepping out of the living room at least a hundred times. And it did not miss once. Many times half-a-step was still enough, most was done in one-step measurements.

Although I still hope Philips wakes up and enables notifications to the outside world so blinds etc can be controlled directly, I think this method will allow me to get rid of the old X10 motion sensors.

I am still adding some changes to the plugin, I hope to release it in a few weeks
        Just my 2cts.

Wim
        -- Wim

Comment

Quick question,

You mention you poll every 2 seconds..

How does this affect any other plugins or events or ....?

I am not familiar how Homeseer prioritizes it various processes / plugins / events that are running.

Does polling or being active every 2 seconds slow or impact resources?

This may be a dumb question, but I have no idea. I hear every 2 second and I'm thinking something cannot do something while this polling is going on and I'm betting I'm wrong...

Thanks,
          Rich

PS: I just noted that the post was dated 2016. Has anything changed since?

Comment

Just another question...

What if I have 10+ sensors polling every 2 seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by rjbur View Post
              Just another question...

I have 8 motion detectors being "watched" by this PI.

I use them to monitor movement setting occupancy in each of the rooms as well as light level.

They work almost instantaneously and do not have any negative impact on HS in any manner. I have over 200 events with several firing on each and every time movement is sensed on any of the motion detectors. Additionally I have several events firing every minute. None of this causes any noticeable degeneration in the HS event engine.

I will let the board gurus to speak specifically to the mechanics behind the event engine but I can that it appears to be very efficient.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by rjbur View Post
                Just another question...

For the plugin there is little difference in polling for 1 or 30 sensors. It is all done with one query. It should have not much impact on the system, I am not seeing that at least and dcdelong (thanks) is confirming this as well.

If you choose the deCONZ (Raspbee or Conbee) path, there is no much polling left, as in this case the gateway is pushing the updates itself.

Wim
                -- Wim

Comment

What's the current status of Hue Motion Sensors with the plugin with or without Hue bridge or DeConz as I run them both.

Currently I use a VeraPlus bridged into HS3 for Zigbee motion sensors. I'm waiting until someday for DeConz to support NYCE sensors but until that day comes I'm using VeraPlus or I move to some other supported Zigbee motion sensor solution.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                    What's the current status of Hue Motion Sensors with the plugin with or without Hue bridge or DeConz as I run them both.

Currently I use a VeraPlus bridged into HS3 for Zigbee motion sensors. I'm waiting until someday for DeConz to support NYCE sensors but until that day comes I'm using VeraPlus or I move to some other supported Zigbee motion sensor solution.
                    I use the hue bridge with the jowihue plugin so I can get firmware updates through the bridge for hue devices. I also use the bridge for hue bulbs for the same reason. You can include all hue devices into the hue bridge through the app and they will show up in the HS UI.

As far as the hue motion sensors they will also work directly with the conbee and deconz and the jowihue plugin. But you won't get the firmware updates.

Off topic a little, check out the sengled adj white bulbs at Amazon. They work great with deconz and jowihue. They are still $18.
                    https://www.amazon.com/Element-Plus-...70_&dpSrc=srch
                    Last edited by cowinger; May 27, 2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                      I use the hue bridge with the jowihue plugin so I can get firmware updates through the bridge for hue devices. I also use the bridge for hue bulbs for the same reason. You can include all hue devices into the hue bridge through the app and they will show up in the HS UI.

As far as the hue motion sensors they will also work directly with the conbee and deconz and the jowihue plugin. But you won't get the firmware updates.

Off topic a little, check out the sengled adj white bulbs at Amazon. They work great with deconz and jowihue. They are still $18.
                      https://www.amazon.com/Element-Plus-...70_&dpSrc=srch
                      Thanks for the info. I'll try out the sensors. As for the bulbs I'll keep that in mind. For just straight whites I recently bought some Hue bulbs for about the same each from amazon also. Have to keep an eye on those deals they're always changing.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post

Philips Hue sensors work with both deCONZ gateway and Philips bridges without issues. In functionality there are no differences on the gateway, except as cowinger mentioned that updates are limited to Philips only. But in my case I have had the philips motion sensor since they came available and there have been no updates since that.
                        There is one major advantage to using the motion senors on the deCONZ gateway though. On the deCONZ gateway the sensor changes are effective immediate, no polling dependecies here as deCONZ is using a webhook,

The plugin with a deCONZ gateway can also use the IKEA motion sensors and de Xiaomi motion sensors.

Advantage with the philips motion sensor is that it also adds a temperarture sensor and a light sensor. The Xiaom motion sensosrs adds a light sensor and IKEA is only motion.

Wim
                        Last edited by w.vuyk; May 28, 2018, 03:34 AM. Reason: *added webhook info *
                        -- Wim

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                          Philips Hue sensors work with both deCONZ gateway and Philips bridges without issues. In functionality there are no differences on the gateway, except as cowinger mentioned that updates are limited to Philips only. But in my case I have had the philips motion sensor since they came available and there have been no updates since that.
                          There is one major advantage to using the motion senors on the deCONZ gateway though. On the deCONZ gateway the sensor changes are effective immediate, no polling dependecies here as deCONZ is using a webhook,

The plugin with a deCONZ gateway can also use the IKEA motion sensors and de Xiaomi motion sensors.

Advantage with the philips motion sensor is that it also adds a temperarture sensor and a light sensor. The Xiaom motion sensosrs adds a light sensor and IKEA is only motion.

Wim
                          Thanks for the information. While I'm out and about today I'll pick up a Hue Motion sensor and give it a try and test against my NYCE sensors. The NYCE are my "control" for motion sensors to test against. The NYCE also provide temp/humidity but not Lux so I've been looking for a good/fast motion sensor that also had Lux and the Hue sounds like it's what I'm looking for.

Comment

When yu are using the motion sensors on the deCONZ interface the response will be best (instant). They are working here very good.

Thanks,

Wim
                            -- Wim

Comment

Working...
                            X