No announcement yet.

PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an approximate cost in mind for the PFSense firewall purchase?

Comment

What is the routing performance of the PFSense firewall on the suggested hardware?

thanks
      Mats

Comment

Do I need to ask Verizon switching the output on ONT from Moca to RJ45?

No I left the TV STB's connected to MOCA connections. I am guessing your box was similiar to mine. It has moca coaxial, network RJ45 and antennas for the wireless.

Verizon used the coaxial cable from the outside to the Verizon box then used the existing coaxial cable to the STBs and DVR. There was cat5e in place. I used the cat5e for my computer connections.

Is there an approximate cost in mind for the PFSense firewall purchase?

It if free.

What is the routing performance of the PFSense firewall on the suggested hardware?

I would say it would be better than the performance that I have today running it on a dual core CPU and 4Gb of memory.

The firewall is just bean counting IP tables and stuff.

[ATTACH]62265[/ATTACH]

Here just wanting to install it in my Leviton 42" can with the ISP modem.

Current firewall is too large to fit inside of my media can.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Here is an example of what I am looking for:

[ATTACH]62266[/ATTACH]

Note this is more wanting to get the best for the buck here.
          • Support Windows, Linux, pfSense, Sophos, VyOS, Linux iptables, Untangle, etc
          • power consumption 10 watts
          • Intel Celeron Processor J1900 * tentative
          • Max. Support up to 8GB Memory
          • 4 x Intel I211-AT- 10/100/1000 Controller
          • 3 x USB 2.0 Ports
          • 1 x USB 3.0 Ports
          • 1 x Mini pcie port (only for mSATA SSD)
          • 1 x Mini pcie port (only for WIFI, only for USB singal)
          • 1 x DDR3L SO-DIMM Memory Slot
          • 1 x SATA Port
          • 1 x SATA power connector
          • 1 x Automatically boot jumper
          • 1 x RS232 header (optional)
          • 1 x SIM Card slot
          • 8G/16G/32G/64G/128G/256G mSATA SSD and 500G / 1TB 2.5" HDD
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I spent the day working on setting up a pfsense firewall. I have to say there are several areas the gave me lots of trouble. My ISP set my static WAN IP address on the MAC address of my Netgear R7000 so I needed to make the pfsense box send that MAC. First issue, do not even think of using the MAC spoofing for the WAN or LAN. It will hose your installation and you will wind up starting from scratch to recover because you will no longer be able to use the WebConfiguration and the console will not let you change the MAC address back to the default HW address. I had to load up a windows OS from a HD to get into the Device Manager to reset the MAC address on the interfaces to their default.

Next I could not get the WAN to connect, no matter what I did. After a few hours, I cycled power on my Surfboard cable modem and finally got the WAN to connect. OK, got WAN, just not my static IP address linked to my website.

Started working on address reservation, it works fine if the connected device shows up under the DHCP Leases. The problem I had was that many of my cabled devices (HA computer, ZNet, etc.) did not show up in the list and therefore I could not set the address reservations for them.

OK, had a partially working system and decided to power down and move the appliance onto my UPS. Restarted the system and again the WAN would not connect. Reset the Surfboard several time to no avail. I decided that the appliance was just too temperamental for my taste.

I hope others have better success than I.

This is the box that I used which is configure with a 128GB SSD and 8GB memory.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice to see you trying PFSense Bob.

Yes here have a Surfboard SB6141.

I have had similar issues with the modem. Initially it was the issue of the Gb link on the Surfboard not linking to the PFSense Gb WAN nic.

Thinking it was an issue of autonegociation of the Gb link on the SB6141 modem NIC.

The Surfboard SB6141 issues have been documented a few times. I think here I had to reregister with the ISP as boot up to the WAN only went to the ISP registration page.

Model Name: SB6141
              Vendor Name: Motorola
              Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.16-SCM00-NOSH
              Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
              Hardware Version: 7.0
              Serial Number:
              Firmware Build Time: Feb 16 2016 11:28:04

I like the old Xerox macs here ==> MAC Address ==> 00:00:00:00:00:XX

Thinking here same when I went to spoofing the MAC address on the PFSense box.
              After a couple of reboots on the Surfboard modem I was good to go. Yes you can just spoof your old Netgear MAC address to your PFSense WAN NIC.

Odd here have not had issues with DHCP reservations with PFSense.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

@Pete,

I would also be interested however, there would be a few logistics involved given my geographical location is Australia [emoji1037] . But if it is feasible, I would be interested

Comment

Not sure on the shipping costs to Australia. I have not had issues shipping to the EU / UK.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    Not sure on the shipping costs to Australia. I have not had issues shipping to the EU / UK.

Cool, depending direct freight cost or I could even get my freight forwarder address in the US anyway.

Comment

Yes; here have used freight forwarder services for service to Norway and Egypt (and South America).

Most easy was to UK with gift services. (little and big computer packages).

Well and interline shipping services (except they are not available much these days).

As the bulk hardware would be coming from Pacific Rim to here it might be easier to do a single parcel directly from MFG to you there in Australia.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, If it is not too late add me to the list. Gary

Comment

Could someone provide a quick and easy "what is pfsense?" I understand it's a firewall, but I've never used anything more than "Windows Firewall." What is pfsense doing, why would I want it, etc. I saw a post mentioning blocking ads which is cool, does that require special settings/setup?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post
                            Could someone provide a quick and easy "what is pfsense?" I understand it's a firewall, but I've never used anything more than "Windows Firewall." What is pfsense doing, why would I want it, etc. I saw a post mentioning blocking ads which is cool, does that require special settings/setup?

Thanks!
                            Pi-hole blocks ads and it is awesome. You just need a raspberry pi.
                            I need pfsense to handle dhcp, firewall rules, Nats, etc. Currently that is a dd-wrt router that sits behind my att modem.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
                            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post

Thanks!
                              I've been trying to learn as much as I can about pfSense but without having a system. I found a series of 13 videos on youtube from one guy that really explains pfSense very well. His presentation is good and well thought out. I highly recommend.

The first one is an intro to pfSense. Here is a link to all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...a2juUBxxFTH4Bk

Comment

I'm In.

Comment

Working...
                                X