Heated Floors - Tile - Thermostat Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blade View Post
    I have in-floor heating in my master bath and mudroom and I have a programmable 110v timer controlling it. It would be nice to have some zwave there

The NuHeat signature does look cool but a little pricey
    Blade, did you ever do anything with this?

Comment

Originally posted by jpape View Post
      Blade, did you ever do anything with this?
      Very happy with my Sinope solution and Spud's plugin, but it's pricey all-in. Can't wait for it to get cold now - at least so that I can see how successful I have been in making this room warm instead of an icebox!
      cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
        Very happy with my Sinope solution and Spud's plugin, but it's pricey all-in. Can't wait for it to get cold now - at least so that I can see how successful I have been in making this room warm instead of an icebox!
        I looked at the Sinope solution but the Nuheat Signature stat provides more information that has a big Wife factor.

Comment

MCOHome solution

Bringing back old thread. just saw this in a Worthington Distribution (U.S. based) catalog. for under $70. Much cheaper than Sinope, and zwave ready.

anybody seen one of these?
          https://z-wavealliance.org/mcohome-r...for-us-market/

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
            Bringing back old thread. just saw this in a Worthington Distribution (U.S. based) catalog. for under $70. Much cheaper than Sinope, and zwave ready.

anybody seen one of these?
            https://z-wavealliance.org/mcohome-r...for-us-market/
            Seems promising but if I change thermostats again I'll need a divorce plug-in.

Some observations based on the Manual.

A) Operation is ON-OFF while Sinope offers cycling based on a control loop approach.

B) The start differential seems fixed at 2.5C (4.5F) in Room mode and 1.5C (2.7F) in Floor mode. Somehow I would have taught the other way around as it could take a while for the floor heat to pick-up such a room differential. By the time you get there, users will feel discomfort. (A) offers better process value to set value control.

C) Sinope offers schedule anticipation. No reference on it for MCO.

D) They have an Aux. output but looking at the wiring schematic is is rated 12V. Not sure if it is VAC or VDC. The text (in poor english) state below 24V. Standard Aux heat in North America is 24VAC.

E) The Aux. ouput is Slave mode only. Sinope offers Slave, 2nd Stage Short cycle for SSR relays and 2nd Stage Long cycle for mechanical relays of fan assisted applications.

F) Z-wave is built-in so no need for additional plug-in. However it is a double-edged sword. If you come to sell your house to a "Regular" HA person, Sinope has a dedicated web interface. This in turn is also a double-edged sword since I'm wondering what would happen if they close, stop operation or whatever.

G) It is ETL certified, operated with DPST and GFCI 5mA. All good points.

H) Warranty is 1 year, Sinope is 3 years.

Comment

LOL.... I'm talking about just changing the floor thermos, which we rarely touch.

I hear all your points... thanks for looking into.

My issue is for "just" a floor thermos in one bathroom... the Sinope becomes very expensive as an option. My pain threshold for what I currently have isn't at the $400+ mark yet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post

Seems promising but if I change thermostats again I'll need a divorce plug-in.

Some observations based on the Manual.

A) Operation is ON-OFF while Sinope offers cycling based on a control loop approach.

B) The start differential seems fixed at 2.5C (4.5F) in Room mode and 1.5C (2.7F) in Floor mode. Somehow I would have taught the other way around as it could take a while for the floor heat to pick-up such a room differential. By the time you get there, users will feel discomfort. (A) offers better process value to set value control.

C) Sinope offers schedule anticipation. No reference on it for MCO.

D) They have an Aux. output but looking at the wiring schematic is is rated 12V. Not sure if it is VAC or VDC. The text (in poor english) state below 24V. Standard Aux heat in North America is 24VAC.

E) The Aux. ouput is Slave mode only. Sinope offers Slave, 2nd Stage Short cycle for SSR relays and 2nd Stage Long cycle for mechanical relays of fan assisted applications.

F) Z-wave is built-in so no need for additional plug-in. However it is a double-edged sword. If you come to sell your house to a "Regular" HA person, Sinope has a dedicated web interface. This in turn is also a double-edged sword since I'm wondering what would happen if they close, stop operation or whatever.

G) It is ETL certified, operated with DPST and GFCI 5mA. All good points.

H) Warranty is 1 year, Sinope is 3 years.
                Did you have any luck finding one of these? The manufacturer is Chinese, and I can't find a source in NA. It looks like it might be the perfect solution.

Comment

Myself I like these. I don't have one yet but I keep thinking about it as they also work for line-voltage baseboard heaters which is what my house is.

http://www.nuheat.com/products/therm...ure-thermostat

These are Wifi thermostat's which has it's negatives, but they are of the very few thermostats that support line-voltage 120v and 240v and can be used with floor or baseboard heating.

Comment

I was not really searching for these as I went with Sinope.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                      Myself I like these. I don't have one yet but I keep thinking about it as they also work for line-voltage baseboard heaters which is what my house is.

http://www.nuheat.com/products/therm...ure-thermostat

These are Wifi thermostat's which has it's negatives, but they are of the very few thermostats that support line-voltage 120v and 240v and can be used with floor or baseboard heating.
                      I have the non wi-fi version of this one and really like it. Is there a plug-in for the Wifi version?

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post
                        I was not really searching for these as I went with Sinope.

Good luck.
                        Which Sinope model did you go with? They seem to be having a production problem right now, and most of their line is out of stock, and has been for over 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post

I have the non wi-fi version of this one and really like it. Is there a plug-in for the Wifi version?
                          Not currently. I've been wanting to get one to try out and then write a plugin for it though.... so if you want to donate one Otherwise I won't be needing it again until Fall so it's not on my current shopping/todo list

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

Not currently. I've been wanting to get one to try out and then write a plugin for it though.... so if you want to donate one Otherwise I won't be needing it again until Fall so it's not on my current shopping/todo list
                            Are you pretty sure you would be able to write a plug-in? I think one of the other PI authors here on HS3 looked into it, and there was a problem getting a usable API?

Comment

Are you pretty sure you would be able to write a plug-in? I think one of the other PI authors here on HS3 looked into it, and there was a problem getting a usable API?
                              I don't know what the problem could have been. The API is public. If you have info/details on the previous problems I'd be happy to look at the info.

https://api.mynuheat.com/

When I contacted them there wasn't any issues/problems in regards to the plugin or API access that they disclosed to me and they confirmed it does work with baseboard heaters which is my use case.

Either case we will find out in the Fall as I still plan on getting at least one for testing. I'm currently looking for a supplier to purchase from.

Comment

Which Sinope model did you go with? They seem to be having a production problem right now, and most of their line is out of stock, and has been for over 6 months.
                                I have a mix going from baseboard, 24VAC and floor. I see that they have a lot of new Zigbee and Control 4 models out along with other accessories. Might why they are out of stock having hard time to keep-up???

Comment

Working...
                                X