This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voice Recognition ---- Again???

This seems to be one of those topics that comes up a lot with lots of questions asked but due to the nature of the beast, not many answers. Or at least, not many specific answers.

Since I first looked a couple of years ago there have been a number of advances in the software and hardware that make voice recognition possible. Does anyone know if the actual implementation of voice recognition has become any more practical?

Hard floors, smooth walls, and high ceilings used to be the worst case to implement any type of voice recognition. Has this situation changed any? Have the newer array microphones like the Voice Tracker helped any?

I really, really want to implement VR but not until the technology is ready. I don't want to try and show off a home VR system that is 'hard of hearing' and appears to only be capable of arguing about what is being said and heard.

Thanks in advance, -Will

Originally posted by will1234
    Hard floors, smooth walls, and high ceilings
    That a real tuffie, VR is getting better all the time, But I don't know if the voice tracker would help any better then using PZM11s. I wouldn't think so.

-Zap
    -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
    Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
    HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
    W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
    Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
    Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

Comment

VR has come a long way. Check out this thread

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=810
      Over The Hill
      What Hill?
      Where?
      When?
      I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Vr

I've been very pleased - and pleasantly surprised - with the current VR capabilities of HS. This is not to say that it's perfect, but it does seem better than it was a couple of years ago. Training MS's speech enginedoes a lot to make things better and is easily accomplished in just an hour or so via the control panel settings for speech.

As for microphones, I thought about the voice tracker but was simply too cheap to purchase it if it was going to be just a toy rather than a tool. Instead, I started out with my simple $20 desk mic on the HS computer. Then, seeking to make VR work in my kitchen and main dining area, I purchased an inexpensive ($7.95 US) PA3 mic. Here's the link:

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=4123

This thing is incredible and can barely be noticed. It's the diameter of a pencil eraser and can easily pick up my voice from 25 feet away. VERY nice for the WAF, partly because it's so small.

You mentioned problems with hard surfaces, etc... Our kitchen has all granite countertops and it's large by almost any standard. There are many wooden drawers and cabinets and the floor is stone tile with a large window on one end and tile backsplashes halfway up the walls. It's basically one giant hard surface, but the VR works great.

I can't offer any advice on mixers yet but I'm trying to find a way to NOT have to buy an AP800 or Shure mixer, again because I'm just plain cheap and think they're more than I need. If anyone reading this has other ideas, I'd like to hear them. I do need to add mics to 4 or 5 other areas in the house.

Finally, I do have one problem: My speaker client just abruptly stops listening from time to time, and I don't know why. I filed a help desk ticket on it last night.

Hope this helps,

Joe
        Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Working...
        X