Irrigation control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irrigation control?

One thing that really surprises me is that there are still no z-wave irrigation controllers. What are people doing instead? I only have four zones, and so am thinking of getting four zfm-80 switches (Remotec) in a quad gang box for local control, but this strikes me as a kludge. What are others doing?

Irrigation control?

I use Rain8Net Pro units (2 of them). One could easily use extra relay outputs on an alarm or an Arduino just as easily though. One benefit of the rain8 units though is that you can set a maximum run time for the zones, so even if the software went completely haywire and never turned off a zone, then it will shut off anyway after the maximum set time for that output. As these values are eeprom programmed into the Rain8, it will work no matter what.

Comment

I went with Ethernet control as well, using the QuickSmart Etherrain8. It also gets sent a specific sequence of zone times, allowing it to run autonomously once the commands are sent. There is a nice script to integrate it with HomeSeer events and some of us have modified the script to provide operating status reports. I went with the EtherRain8 only because of cost. As Automated said, an Arduino could be used as well, but I also like knowing that the entire zone sequence is sent to the device, then it runs without any more intervention. There is also a decent iPhone app that made winterizing a breeze this year. Standing in the yard and controlling zone valves - priceless.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I'm using opensprinkler there are 2 plugins available for it to homeseer, but also its own logic and webui are pretty great for setting up schedules etc.

http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=160

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
          One thing that really surprises me is that there are still no z-wave irrigation controllers. What are people doing instead? I only have four zones, and so am thinking of getting four zfm-80 switches (Remotec) in a quad gang box for local control, but this strikes me as a kludge. What are others doing?
          I use standard 24V irrigation valves which I control from a Fibaro ZWave module with a 24V power supply connected to supply the power to the valves.
          Nicolai L

Comment

+1 for opensprinkler...you can send it http post and get commands to control it easily from a script...however, the latest update includes some nice et calculation stuff.
            HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Do any of these solutions work with the Linux version of HS3? I will be running an SEL soon, and so do not have access to Windows plug-ins.

Comment

I'm thinking now perhaps of getting four LFM-20 dry contact closure switches, and for temporary control, an Aspire scene controller or a GE battery powered scene controller. A bit overkill. The programs would be done through HomeSeer, but I need to be able to have our landscapers turn on the irrigation system locally for testing . . . .

Comment

Working...
                X