Heated Floors - Tile - Thermostat Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heated Floors - Tile - Thermostat Hunt

I'm seeking a solution for a z-wave enabled thermostat(s) to control some new electric heated tile floors I'll be installing.

I've looked into both:
    - HeatIt: Can't be used in the US for some reason.
    - NuHeat: The "Signature" thermostat is wifi enabled, but doesn't appear to have any linkage to HS3 as a plugin doesn't yet exist.

I've not yet selected the heating wire to be run in the floor, so all options are open.

Does anyone happen to have any solutions which can be used in the US?

Some reference links on the above mentioned products, I've already investigated:
    - HeatIt: http://heatit.com/faq.html
    - NuHeat: https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=182844

Appreciate any insight anyone can offer!

-- J

This one is designed for electric baseboards, but it may be able to be used with underfloor heating: http://www.stelpro.com/en-CA/4000-w-...rt-home-z-wave

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I have had floor heat in my bathroom for many years. It is controlled by a thermostat in the bathroom. I use an x10 inline module to turn on/off the power to the floor heat circuit. HS3 turns the floor heat on in the early morning and off mid morning. This approach works very well for me.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Steve Q: If I'm understanding correctly, you have a standard floor heating thermostat & sensors embedded in the floor (perhaps they were all sold together?) all controlled by a circuit with the x10 inline module cycling the overall power supply? I then assume that your thermostat remembers it's preferred temperature & will always default back to restoring the floor temperature to that preset value when the power is cycled back on to the circuit.

Am I on the right track?

May I ask what make of thermostat you're using?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

I have in-floor heating in my master bath and mudroom and I have a programmable 110v timer controlling it. It would be nice to have some zwave there

The NuHeat signature does look cool but a little pricey
          Cheers,
          Bob
          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantHouse View Post
            Thanks for the replies.

Steve Q: If I'm understanding correctly, you have a standard floor heating thermostat & sensors embedded in the floor (perhaps they were all sold together?) all controlled by a circuit with the x10 inline module cycling the overall power supply? I then assume that your thermostat remembers it's preferred temperature & will always default back to restoring the floor temperature to that preset value when the power is cycled back on to the circuit.

Am I on the right track?

May I ask what make of thermostat you're using?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you have it exactly right.

The thermostat is from the same company that makes the heating cable.

http://www.morelectricheating.com/de...mIJhoCa03w_wcB

My thermostat is an older analog dial type. No digital values. The newer thermostat (I have one in another bathroom) is digital and it retains its settings when the power is out.

The digital stat is programmable. I have mine programmed to turn on at 5AM and off at 10AM. It is in a guest bathroom and normally off. When we have guests, I manually switch the thermostat ON.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I've replaced my (7) Aube dry contact baseboard T-Stat with the new Stelpro Ki Z-wave and they work very well.

I was also looking for a solution to replace my (3) floor Aube T-Stat for a Z-wave solution and did not find any. I taught of using the Stelpro Ki but there are (2) code issues that need to be taken in account :

DDFT : This one could be address by adding that protection directly into the circuit breaker

Double Pole : You need to cut both lines when the T-Stat is off and the Ki is Single pole.

A few months ago I contacted Stelpro and they told me they had no plan to bring the Z-wave to their Floor T-Stat. They were at that time working on a Zigbee version of the baseboard model.

A month ago I was at a local home show and the guy at the boot told me it was coming eventually but my confidence level of many of the staff sent to all boots was not very high. (3) A/C vendors were puzzled when I asked if they had remote T-Stat capability for their wall mounted mini-split units. "You need a what?". If you work in HVAC and don't know what a Thermostat is...

So my suggestion would be to send a Z-wave feature request to Stelpro (contact@stelpro.com). They have passed two major milestones ; build the conventional model and managed the Z-Wave technology. It is a matter of putting both together. If they feel there is a community waiting for it, maybe they will go forward.

If on the other end you have not started any heating control design, the Sinope (Previous Aube original team) might be something to look at as they have both the baseboard and floor T-Stat TH1300. They are also low priced and nice looking. The down side is that it requires a gateway but I think there is an HS plugin available.

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post

If on the other end you have not started any heating control design, the Sinope (Previous Aube original team) might be something to look at as they have both the baseboard and floor T-Stat TH1300. They are also low priced and nice looking. The down side is that it requires a gateway but I think there is an HS plugin available.
                yep Sinope plug-in available here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1520

I haven't tested the floor T-Stat, but the baseboard ones are very good and reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post
                  Not so much low priced if you are only buying for floor heating and can't spread the cost of the gateway over multiple t-stats.

I may still consider. I have programmable already installed by the dealer... figure it's fairly plug and play for connections? anybody know?

Comment

I want to buy the qubino thermostat. I'm thinking of installing it so the temp sensor can reside near the heated area and just create an event. I have other qubino relays that work very well, but I don't think this one is available in the US, just yet.

http://qubino.com/products/climate-control/

Comment

Spud : Thanks for the link. I will do some renovation next fall and this might fit my needs. Still struggling on how to control (2) AC wall units as they now have heating capability in winter. Closest I could get is with Mitsubishi and a +/- $250 addition board that would in the end accept a Z-wave T-Stat. This is getting pricy espacially mutiplied by 2.

Tomgru : Connections would most likely be (2) wires in and (2) wires out and easy to swap. Agreed that (1) gateway for (1) T-Stat makes it pricier. As soon as you have a 2nd one you're almost there. That being said, if you have only (1) zone to control you might be better with the supplied programmable as your energy savings will take a long time to payback the investment.

racerfern : Interesting that qubino. Couple of quick observations :
                      - No DDFT so floor heating (electric) would require an expensive DDFT panel breaker
                      - Single pole switching
                      - Only 10A load

Comment

I happen to have an unused GFCI breaker. However, they are about $44USD so it's not too bad.

Yes, it is only single pole but these are 120v mats that I'm using.

10amp load happens to more than fit my needs. In fact, it's a small bath so 2 amps tops.
                        Last edited by racerfern; March 24, 2017, 01:33 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

We have recently installed Schluter 'Ditra Heat TB'

https://www.tilefixdirect.com/produc...A-HEAT-TB-Kits

And swapped the thermostat for Zwave HeatIt, although it could have been any thermostat.

The matting is waterproof, provides a decoupling membrane between tiles and floor to reduce tile cracking, and the heating cable kind of 'hooks' into it.

Still to be made live but tests from HS3 are promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The 'maximum size of 7.2m2' can be ignored since the kit parts can be purchased seperately to fit any size bathroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been following this chain, but somehow missed Spud's post. He re-directed me in this thread to the Sinope underfloor thermostat and his plugin. I think I will give this a go when I undertake my mud/laundry room remodel later this year.
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                              X