Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to enable a 'secondary' controler ?

Hello,

I see a couple of posts on how to make a secondary controler on the same network, but the options on how to switch to secondary is no where to be found.

I have a ZNet and a Smart Stick+ interfaces. ZNet is my main (ZNetVilla) and the secondary will be the Smart Stick to add some coverage. How do I switch the Smart Stick to 'secondary' ?

Both are identified as 'Main for their network' and I don't find a way to switch the Smart Stick to 'secondary' ?

Any help will be welcome!
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Originally posted by durango View Post
    Hello,

I see a couple of posts on how to make a secondary controler on the same network, but the options on how to switch to secondary is no where to be found.

I have a ZNet and a Smart Stick+ interfaces. ZNet is my main (ZNetVilla) and the secondary will be the Smart Stick to add some coverage. How do I switch the Smart Stick to 'secondary' ?

Both are identified as 'Main for their network' and I don't find a way to switch the Smart Stick to 'secondary' ?

Any help will be welcome!
    Thanks
    Wow! This thread has made a lot of twists and turns. The post that zwolfpack linked is about using the same controller on two systems, Vera and HomeSeer in Rich's example. I read your question as to your wanting to add a second controller for redundancy on a single system.

You can add a second controller as secondary on the same network. It can only be done on a new controller that is not affiliated with your HomeSeer system and has a different HomeID embedded.

Your system already has both controllers and it looks like the smartstick already has a different HomeID. I temporarily added another controller on my network, the same as yours

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1194783

It also looks like your controller has not had any nodes included, so you should have the option to "Make this interface an Inclusion Controller (Secondary) on another Network"

Name:	Capture2.png
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1194784

Select that and you will be prompted to choose the network to add it to.

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1194785

In your case you would choose "Villa (D81EFE68)". Then you will be prompted "Please confirm: The Interface Secondary will be OVERWRITTEN with the information from network D81EFE68". If it all looks correct click "Confirm". Then all the node information will be replicated from your main network to this secondary controller.

That's all there is to adding it.

There are a few things to understand, at least as I understand it. All nodes on your network will still have a return path to your primary controller. As you optimize, you can direct nodes to communicate with the closest controller, but they will only talk to one of them. I believe the controllers will never be truly redundant - if you lose one of them your network will be compromised. If a controller is missing, the nodes that have a return route to it will no longer work. The only advantage I see is that you can include a node in your network from either controller and they will be replicated back and forth, but only one of them will be the return route controller.

Understanding all of this, I elected to keep a controller as a spare. I use a Python script that zwolfpack posted to perform automatic backups of my three controllers. In the event a controller fails, I can restore a backup to a spare controller and be back running in minutes.

I have never had a controller fail. I have had a couple of SD card corruptions with my original Z-Net, but it was a Raspberry Pi 2b. They were notorious for corrupting SD cards on a power cycle. All of the new Z-Nets (since July 2016) have been Pi 3 boards. I also use high quality SD cards. I have not had an SD card corruption since 2016. I do keep a spare SD card with each controller with a Z-Net image burned on it. If I ever have a failure of a card, I can swap it. I notched the bottom cover on my Z-Nets to make it easy to get to the cards.

It is probably due to Murphy's law but now that I am using high quality cards, have a spare ready to go, using all Pi3s and have contemporaneous backups, I haven't had a hint of a failure. IMHO, I think having a ready spare is a better failure plan, since you cannot have true redundancy in Z-Wave controllers. I have my three controllers set up as separate networks for coverage. For me that made more sense than adding a secondary controller to the network. It makes it easy for me to know which node is communicating with which controller.

In your case you could load a backup of Villa to the Smartstick+ in the event your primary controller dies.

I hope all of this makes sense.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

rprade,

This is great details, information and you fully understand the case. I was about to test the secondary considering what you shared, but I cannot find the option "Make this interface an Inclusion Controller (Secondary) on another Network" on the SmartStick+ interface despite that I do not have any nodes attached to it. I also used the option to ERASE and recreate the network to ensure that there was no garbage attached to the SmartStick+ network that could prevent the option to show up, no effect.

Any idea why this option is not there ?

Comment

Originally posted by durango View Post
        rprade,

This is great details, information and you fully understand the case. I was about to test the secondary considering what you shared, but I cannot find the option "Make this interface an Inclusion Controller (Secondary) on another Network" on the SmartStick+ interface despite that I do not have any nodes attached to it. I also used the option to ERASE and recreate the network to ensure that there was no garbage attached to the SmartStick+ network that could prevent the option to show up, no effect.

Any idea why this option is not there ?
        I have a thought, but I will have to post tomorrow as it will take some explaining. I'll try tomorrow AM.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Hi Rprade, I have the same issue, not sure if you have the answer to this.

Comment

I am in an unusual position. I have a z-net (AU) devices. I am told by HS sales that the z-net does not support network backup for AU or EU. As I understand it this means that if the z-net were to fail, I could not recover to a different one, because there is no backup of AU z-Net devices.

From rPrade's comments, it sounds that if I obtained another z-net and ran it as a "secondary" with a different HomeID, then I could use this second z-net as a backup, being able to switch over "in minutes", which would certainly be acceptable.

Here is how I understand the procedure:
            • Buy second z-net controller/interface.
            • Install as "secondary" as described above.
            • If the primary fails, disconnect it.
            • Does anyone know how to switch over to run the secondary as a primary?
            Thanks for filling this small gap in the procedure.

Comment

I ran some brief tests a couple years back, so don't take this as gospel ... from what I recall, once you add a secondary controller, a selector appears on the Z-Wave tab of each Z-Wave device. With this, you can select which controller you want to control the node. To switch, you'd go to each node and toggle this.

Comment

Hi all
                Probably rehashing the same same...but I cannot find the answer to my particular situation
                I have homeseer standard running under windows 7 at my home
                My main interface is an USB aoetec z gen5 stick - serial port: com5

What am trying to do is
                Is to control some z wave devices at my office, which is at a different location with my homeseer software
                Both locations have (different) static IP addresses

I have read that this is possible...but Im unable to succeed

What I have done so far
                I have purchased a Z-NET IP-Enabled Z-Wave Interface
                I have updated to ver 1.0.23
                I am able to access the z net interface
                port 2001
                Read and reread the instructions
                Completed step one

Z-NET V2 Configuration - Version 1.0.23

Please use the options below to configure your Z-NET Z-Wave interface
                Device Name Z-Net
                _ Note: Be sure to update your HS3 Z-Wave plug-in settings if Device Name is changed.
                Wired
                Network Static-IP
                IP Address 192.168.1.43
                Gateway 123.243.xx.xxx
                Subnet Mask 192.168.1.43
                MAC Address: 255.255.255.0
                _
                Wireless Wireless adapter not installed
                _
                (Unit will reboot automatically)
                Then
                Remote access to homeseer and
                From the Z wave controller management

Network Friendly Name HomeID Number of Nodes Interface Name Interface Model Node ID
                Network C59B05XX C59B05XX 28 New Interface Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Stick 1

I added a new z wave interface
                Name: Z-Net
                interface Model: Ethernet interface
                IP address: my work static IP address
                Port:2001

Click to enable
                Jun-04 1:21:25 PM Z-Wave Warning Trying to re-connect to Ethernet interface at IP 123.243.19.xxx
                Jun-04 1:21:25 PM Z-Wave Note: Only one system may connect to an Ethernet interface at one time. If 2 systems are connecting to your Z-Wave interface, HomeSeer will not connect.
                Jun-04 1:21:13 PM Z-Wave Z-Net: Getting node information from controller...
                Jun-04 1:21:12 PM Z-Wave Z-Net: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 123.243.19.xxx, connected to interface ok.
                Jun-04 1:21:10 PM Z-Wave Note: Only one system may connect to an Ethernet interface at one time. If 2 systems are connecting to your Z-Wave interface, HomeSeer will not connect.

It does not connect (ie a green tick) and I get this error "Only one system may connect to an Ethernet interface at one time. If 2 systems are connecting to your Z-Wave interface, HomeSeer will not connect."

From what I can guess ( probably badly)
                Homeseer can see the Znet, but only one can connect at the same time

Im not sure what this means or how to rectify

One suggestion from Black Cat
                was to "Try resetting the new uzb to factory
                Setting."

Sadly didn't work

Have tried
                disabling my aeotec then enabling the znet
                same error

I have looked and looked on the forum...all I could find was info about znet on the same network
                Can some please please point me in the right direction

Thank you all for reading

Current Date/Time: 4/06/2020 1:28:22 PM
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Work Station
                System Uptime: 4 Days 19 Hours 58 Minutes 29 Seconds
                IP Address: 192.168.20.5
                Number of Devices: 228
                Number of Events: 44
                Available Threads: 799
                HSTouch Enabled: True
                Event Threads: 3
                Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
                Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
                Device Exec Queue: 0
                HSTouch Event Queue: 0
                Email Send Queue: 0
                Anti Virus Installed: AVG Antivirus
                In Virtual Machine: No MFG: asrock
                Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                2.0.28.0: BLOccupied
                2.0.84.0: BLStat
                3.0.0.14: NetCAM
                0.0.0.48: Pushover 3P
                1.0.0.7: Restart
                3.0.2.261: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Roobrother View Post
                  Hi all
                  Probably rehashing the same same...but I cannot find the answer to my particular situation
                  I have homeseer standard running under windows 7 at my home
                  My main interface is an USB aoetec z gen5 stick - serial port: com5

What am trying to do is
                  Is to control some z wave devices at my office, which is at a different location with my homeseer software
                  Both locations have (different) static IP addresses

I have read that this is possible...but Im unable to succeed

What I have done so far
                  I have purchased a Z-NET IP-Enabled Z-Wave Interface
                  I have updated to ver 1.0.23
                  port 2001
                  Read and reread the instructions
                  Completed step one

I added a new z wave interface
                  Name: Z-Net
                  interface Model: Ethernet interface
                  IP address: my work static IP address
                  Port:2001

Click to enable

It does not connect (ie a green tick) and I get this error "Only one system may connect to an Ethernet interface at one time. If 2 systems are connecting to your Z-Wave interface, HomeSeer will not connect."

From what I can guess ( probably badly)
                  Homeseer can see the Znet, but only one can connect at the same time

Im not sure what this means or how to rectify

One suggestion from Black Cat
                  was to "Try resetting the new uzb to factory
                  Setting."

Sadly didn't work

Have tried
                  disabling my aeotec then enabling the znet
                  same error

I have looked and looked on the forum...all I could find was info about znet on the same network
                  Can some please please point me in the right direction

Thank you all for reading
                  For 2 networks that are remote from one another, connected via internet, you will need to forward ports (publicly expose them) at the location with the z-net as briefly described in the z-net instructions, or else connect the two locations via VPN. The latter solution would be strongly recommended over the first by many on this board, myself included. Port forwarding opens up much greater risk of intrusion by bad guys if you're not an expert at locking down access.
                  -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by quinn View Post
                    I am in an unusual position. I have a z-net (AU) devices. I am told by HS sales that the z-net does not support network backup for AU or EU. As I understand it this means that if the z-net were to fail, I could not recover to a different one, because there is no backup of AU z-Net devices.
                    Just to clarify the above in respect to recovery, the ZWBCUZB-AUS supports proven backup and recovery in a AU/NZ Homeseer environment.

edit: swap out the UZB that came with the Z-Net for a ZWBCUZB-AUS
                    Black Cat UZB Z-Wave Smart 6 Static controller. UZB Static Controller for Home Automation Systems such as Home Seer, Indigo, Raspberry Pi, Home Assistant etc. Proven BackUp & Restore with Home Seer.

Comment

Hey Wade

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

For 2 networks that are remote from one another, connected via internet, you will need to forward ports (publicly expose them) at the location with the z-net as briefly described in the z-net instructions, or else connect the two locations via VPN. The latter solution would be strongly recommended over the first by many on this board, myself included. Port forwarding opens up much greater risk of intrusion by bad guys if you're not an expert at locking down access.

Thank you for getting back to me...
                      ​​​​​​​Not sure which way to go at the moment

Comment

The information you've presented is insufficient to provide much help. Additionally, some of the items don't make sense - perhaps a copy/paste anomaly?

HomeSeer server IP is 192.168.20.5
                        Z-Net IP is 192.168.1.43
                        You are accessing Z-Net at IP 123.243.19.xxx

Describe the setup on the Z-Net end which maps from 123.243.19.xxx to 192.168.1.43.

port 2001
                        What do you mean by this? Are you saying you can access the Z-Net web interface? (which is on port 80)

This is the part that doesn't make sense
                        Gateway 123.243.xx.xxx
                        Subnet Mask 192.168.1.43
                        MAC Address: 255.255.255.0

That subnet mask is a repeat of the IP address ... guessing that the subnet mask is really what's shown for the MAC address, 255.255.255.0?

That gateway value isn't correct; although this may not affect the task at hand, connecting the Z-Net to the Z-Wave plugin. It needs to be on the local network segment, i.e. 192.168.1.nnn. Generally it's the local router address.

Comment

Hi zwolfpack

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                          The information you've presented is insufficient to provide much help. Additionally, some of the items don't make sense - perhaps a copy/paste anomaly?

HomeSeer server IP is 192.168.20.5
                          Z-Net IP is 192.168.1.43
                          You are accessing Z-Net at IP 123.243.19.xxx

Describe the setup on the Z-Net end which maps from 123.243.19.xxx to 192.168.1.43.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying you can access the Z-Net web interface? (which is on port 80)

I will try...

(home)HomeSeer server gateway: 111.468.17.xxx
                          IP 192.168.20.5

(work) The Z net gateway : 123.243.19.xxx
                          IP 192.168.1.43.

​​​​​​​
                          Not sure what you are asking...Im new to this
                          This is the configuration I used on the z net to map from 123.243.19.xxx to 192.168.1.43.
                          on my router I set up port ward to 2001 for IP 192.168.1.43.

Z-NET V2 Configuration - Version 1.0.23

Please use the options below to configure your Z-NET Z-Wave interface
                          Device Name
                          _ Note: Be sure to update your HS3 Z-Wave plug-in settings if Device Name is changed.
                          Wired
                          Network DHCP Static-IP Warning: Incorrect settings will disable this unit!
                          IP Address 192.168.1.43
                          Gateway 123.243.19.XXX
                          Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
                          MAC Address: b8:27:eb:ed:e5:d9
                          _
                          Wireless Wireless adapter not installed
                          _
                          (Unit will reboot automatically)
                          ​​​​​​​
                          I can assess the Z net (office) via

I cannot access the net (office or home) via
                          123.243.19.XXX:2001

​​​​​​​
                          That gateway value isn't correct; although this may not affect the task at hand, connecting the Z-Net to the Z-Wave plugin. It needs to be on the local network segment, i.e. 192.168.1.nnn. Generally it's the local router address.
                          So from what you are saying, I cannot setup an external venue ( office) via homeseer (home) using the znet interface, with two different gateways
                          "it needs to be on a local network"??

Thanks for your help on this and let me know...what other information I can provide

Comment

Originally posted by Roobrother View Post

This is the configuration I used on the z net to map from 123.243.19.xxx to 192.168.1.43.
                            on my router I set up port ward to 2001 for IP 192.168.1.43.
                            Does "my router" denote the home router or the work router (should be the work one).

I have to stop here and reiterate what Wade says above -- THIS IS A DANGEROUS WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS. The port 2001 access has no authentication mechanism, as as such ANYONE IN THE WORLD could conceivably connect to it and mess you up. Better to set up a VPN link between the home and work routers. I'm not one to advise how to set this up as I've not had need for it, but there is plenty of guidance available.

I cannot access the net (office or home) via
                            123.243.19.XXX:2001
                            ​​​​​​​
                            If you are trying to open this in a web browser, don't bother. It's not a web page and can't be accessed as such.

So from what you are saying, I cannot setup an external venue ( office) via homeseer (home) using the znet interface, with two different gateways
                            I didn't say it isn't possible, just said that the gateway address you specified isn't right. That alone is likely not the cause of not being able to connect from the Z-Wave plugin though. Recommend setting it the the LAN address of the work router, possibly 192.168.1.1.

The primary need for the gateway address is for the Z-Net to contact internet servers, such as the HomeSeer update server or the find.homeseer.com service. You don't need those right now so I wouldn't stress that too much.

Comment

thanks for this...
                              for the VPN link

https://www.vpnuniversity.com/router...%20connection.

Comment

Working...
                              X