Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything seems to be working great with the exception 3 things.

1) The third button on my keypadlink I can't get to turn on/off through HS. I can execute scripts off the button and they work through HS manually turning it on/off as well as locally. But the weird thing is the button will not light up when I turn it on through HS.

2) Also the plug in does not always detect when the keypadLink is turned on locally, and many times when it does detect it shows on at 100% when it's dimmed to 40%.

3) My keypadlink and controlLink (from my beta 10 intallation) still show up in the events view. Meaning I can choose them in the drop down list, so I see two keypadlinks and two controllinks. I did delete my insteon_basic.ini file before I started the new beta install.

Comment

Duplicate Devices

I had the same thing JB NY by deleting the Insteonbasic.ini it did not remove it from the database.

I just deleted them from the status page and it seemed to work great

Comment

Errors

I upgraded as suggested and get the following errors.

Startup Error in Log
        4/18/2006 4:09:04 PM - Info - Initializing Plug-in: Insteon
        4/18/2006 4:09:04 PM - Insteon - Connecting to SmartHome Device Manager (SDM) component...
        4/18/2006 4:09:07 PM - Insteon - ***:Error In InitPlugin: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8000FFFF): Access violation at address 005CB220 in module 'SDM3.exe'. Write of address 00004CB0 at SDM3Server.ISDM3.set_blocking(Boolean Value) at HSPI_INSTEON.HSPI.InitPlugin(Int32 Mode)
        4/18/2006 4:09:07 PM - Insteon - Writing new Error log file - C:\Program Files\HomeSeer 2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
        4/18/2006 4:09:07 PM - Error - Initializing interface: Insteon->System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8000FFFF): Access violation at address 005CB220 in module 'SDM3.exe'. Write of address 00004CB0 at SDM3Server.ISDM3.set_blocking(Boolean Value) at HSPI_INSTEON.HSPI.InitPlugin(Int32 Mode)

Error in plugin config when adding device
        The Insteon device at 01.64.97 did not respond. Please check to make sure the address is correct and that the device is powered-up. The device was not registered.

Error in log when adding device
        4/18/2006 4:10:39 PM - Insteon - ***:Error In PingAndWaitForInsteonIDBroadcast: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at HSPI_INSTEON.HSPI.PingAndWaitForInsteonIDBroadcast(String ID, String& DeviceType, String& FirmwareVer)
        4/18/2006 4:10:39 PM - Insteon - Writing new Error log file - C:\Program Files\HomeSeer 2\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log

TYI
        Bill Maupin

Comment

Anyone have any idea what this error might be referring to? It happens when I attempt to detect multi-way groups:

4/20/2006 10:43:12 PM : ***:Error In BuildPage: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
          at HSPI_INSTEON.HSPI.BuildPage(Int32 PageIndex)

- Jeff

Comment

I think I have the blocking issue solved (USB startup time on some machines is so slow that the SDM is just hanging out for a while). This one is likely due to the fact that I wrote the code for it and tested it with three devices once ;>

Send me your INI file as I'm sure it's full of good stuff for me to test with.

Jon

Originally posted by polycron
            Anyone have any idea what this error might be referring to? It happens when I attempt to detect multi-way groups:

4/20/2006 10:43:12 PM : ***:Error In BuildPage: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

- Jeff
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Well, I temporarily solved my problem. I had a keypadlinc that was causing my problem. I'm not sure if it was a corrupt link table or something else but redownloading the link table solved the problem. I added in my ControlLinc and the same problem hit me. I tried to redownload the link table but in the end the only thing I could do was delete the device.

Now I ran into another strange issue. I created two groups and neither group appears to be controlling the devices I have in the group. One of them is comprised of two switchlincs which are both linked to each other (manually). One is has the load and the other does not. I also have a keypadlinc which has one of its buttons linked in to both switches and vice versa. The two switches and the keypadlinc all work exactly the way they should. All three control the light and all three report their status to each other so the LED status's all stay in sync. I created a group and assigned both of the switches to the group however when I try to control the group from HS it doesn't actually control the light. It does change the status of the two switches on the status page however the light does not turn on or off. Doing a poll results in the status being updated for the two switches correctly.

The second group is even more simple being a set of two switchlincs (one with the load, the other without). Both are linked to each other (2-way) and the group contains both switches. I have the same result. The status of the switches on the status page follow the change to the group device however the actual light does not. Re-polling will reset the status of the two switches to actual. (both switches off and the group showing as on).

Should I just hold tight for the next release of the beta plugin? Or is my problem more serious then that?

- Jeff

Comment

All of these are likely symptoms of communication problems between your PLC and the other devices. The PLC is usually located nearest the computer, which is a major noise generator. This makes the PLC communication the most problematic.

Not all Insteon communcations are retried because they are not acknowledged. One example is ID pings (initial device setup). The other is group commands. For the commands that are acknowledged there are a number of retries that occur if there are comm problems. Some of the logs that have been sent show that it is taking up to 30 attempts to get one round-trip communication completed.

If you can't communicate well with the devices then some things just won't work. Also what does work is significantly slower than it should be.

This is such a common problem with the Insteon installations that I have seen that I'm looking at ways for the plug-in to keep some sort of "signal quality" rating going for each remote device.

Jon

Well, I temporarily solved my problem. I had a keypadlinc that was causing my problem. I'm not sure if it was a corrupt link table or something else but redownloading the link table solved the problem. I added in my ControlLinc and the same problem hit me. I tried to redownload the link table but in the end the only thing I could do was delete the device.

Now I ran into another strange issue. I created two groups and neither group appears to be controlling the devices I have in the group. One of them is comprised of two switchlincs which are both linked to each other (manually). One is has the load and the other does not. I also have a keypadlinc which has one of its buttons linked in to both switches and vice versa. The two switches and the keypadlinc all work exactly the way they should. All three control the light and all three report their status to each other so the LED status's all stay in sync. I created a group and assigned both of the switches to the group however when I try to control the group from HS it doesn't actually control the light. It does change the status of the two switches on the status page however the light does not turn on or off. Doing a poll results in the status being updated for the two switches correctly.

The second group is even more simple being a set of two switchlincs (one with the load, the other without). Both are linked to each other (2-way) and the group contains both switches. I have the same result. The status of the switches on the status page follow the change to the group device however the actual light does not. Re-polling will reset the status of the two switches to actual. (both switches off and the group showing as on).

Should I just hold tight for the next release of the beta plugin? Or is my problem more serious then that?

- Jeff
                Jon Ort
                JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oman
                  Not all Insteon communcations are retried because they are not acknowledged. One example is ID pings (initial device setup). The other is group commands. For the commands that are acknowledged there are a number of retries that occur if there are comm problems. Some of the logs that have been sent show that it is taking up to 30 attempts to get one round-trip communication completed.
                  Are group commands retried at all? When looking at the SDM General log and sending individual commands to one of the light switches in question I see 6 attempts before the Ack. The other has 3 attempts before the ack. The group command I only see the single attempt. I think one of the switches is on the same phase as the PLC and the other is going through my signalincs to jump the phase.

I checked all of my other devices and see very similar attempts. 3-4 for devices on the same phase as the PLC and 4-7 for devices on the other phase. Is this a bad situation? Or will it simply negate my use of group commands? Or is my group link goofed up:
                  Code:
                  Link# 8 - Button 1/Load is controlled by HomeSeer (Insteon Link# 18) HomeSeer/Insteon group ' ' - On Level 100%, Ramp Rate 100%
                  Code:
                   ui:SendGroupBroadcast=18,ON
                    si:00 00 00 00 00 12 C5 11 00
                   PLC:sendGroupBroadcast=True
                   PLC:eventraw=03

- Jeff

Comment

Jon,

I'm not sure if this helps, but I think I have an idea what might be happening with my group issues. Bear with me, its late.

Here is what I'm seeing:
                    1) I have a number of bad group links setup on a number of devices. As you can see from my previous post, the group I created for my diningroom lights does not have a group name associated with it. It assigned it a link with a blank name.
                    2) When looking at a few other devices that I had setup other groups for, I see they have a strange combination of blank names as well as absorbing unrelated group names.
                    3) I created another link for a totally seperate set of switches (each having their own load and having no other links) and gave the group a name of "Nightime test". When i look at the device through the insteon device editor I see it did not use the group name that I assigned to the group but instead pulled the previous group name. I had setup group Link #20 with the "Nightime test" name and it did create the link on both devices using Link #20 but it assigned it a group name of "Test 2" which is actually group Link #19.

I hope this rambling make sense.

Comment

1) If the all devices group works, then the command is getting to the lights and it is likely not a comm problem.

2) Extra links mostly causes lights to go on when you don't think they should. Bad links (as in don't make sense - wrong bytes programmed) will cause the light to do strange things in general.

3) The name should not matter. The plug-in and HomeSeer just display it for reference. However if you create a new group and it shows up wrong in HomeSeer somehow then there is a problem that I have not seen before.

4) If you generate a log report, are there any errors at startup when the plug-in is creating the devices?

5) The Insteon group # is specific to Insteon and not not an indicator of the HomeSeer group index (like "]20"). They might match, but not all the time. If you make a new group and call it "foo" then you should see the new group called "foo". If not then there is a bug that needs to be fixed. Send me a log and your INI file for me to look at. I would want to kill that bug right away.

Thanks
                      Jon

Jon,

I'm not sure if this helps, but I think I have an idea what might be happening with my group issues. Bear with me, its late.

Here is what I'm seeing:
                      1) I have a number of bad group links setup on a number of devices. As you can see from my previous post, the group I created for my diningroom lights does not have a group name associated with it. It assigned it a link with a blank name.
                      2) When looking at a few other devices that I had setup other groups for, I see they have a strange combination of blank names as well as absorbing unrelated group names.
                      3) I created another link for a totally seperate set of switches (each having their own load and having no other links) and gave the group a name of "Nightime test". When i look at the device through the insteon device editor I see it did not use the group name that I assigned to the group but instead pulled the previous group name. I had setup group Link #20 with the "Nightime test" name and it did create the link on both devices using Link #20 but it assigned it a group name of "Test 2" which is actually group Link #19.

I hope this rambling make sense.
                      Jon Ort
                      JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

I have had group problems since installing the latest plugin. The group "ALL" created by the plugin, and a test group I created do not work. Your saying that it may be a comm problem. I have had no other problems communicating with any Insteon devices, IE: linking and turning on/off.

When I create the group I see the lights on the Insteon devices blinking (Sending group info to devices), but when I turn the group on via HS, I see no activity at all on the Insteon device lights, however HS shows that the group is on.

Shouldn't I see activity on the Insteon devices when I turn them on via a group command?

One side note that I don't know if it means anything but the group code and device code have the same beginning character; IE: device 1's code id "#1", the all group code is "#9". (I only have 8 insteon devices)
                        Thanks,

T.

Comment

I've attached the Plugin's error log, my INI file, and a few screen shots to help explain whats happening here. If you need anything else, or need me to do anything to help test this out, please let me know.

-Jeff
                          Attached Files

Comment

You can turn on debug logging in the plug-in and see for your self if a group command is being issued when you try to issue a group command. They are pretty easy to spot in the log. Group commands are broadcasts to all devices. Direct commands (turning a light on or off, programming links, etc) are 2-way and will be retried if they don't make it the first time.

To say that you have had no problems comminicating with your devices actually means that at least one of 25 attempts to talk to the device has worked. The SDM tries 5 times internally for each command, and the plug-in tries 5 times on top of that for each 2-way command that is sent. There is only one chance with broadcast messages.

Jon

Originally posted by Tcassio
                            I have had group problems since installing the latest plugin. The group "ALL" created by the plugin, and a test group I created do not work. Your saying that it may be a comm problem. I have had no other problems communicating with any Insteon devices, IE: linking and turning on/off.

When I create the group I see the lights on the Insteon devices blinking (Sending group info to devices), but when I turn the group on via HS, I see no activity at all on the Insteon device lights, however HS shows that the group is on.

Shouldn't I see activity on the Insteon devices when I turn them on via a group command?

One side note that I don't know if it means anything but the group code and device code have the same beginning character; IE: device 1's code id "#1", the all group code is "#9". (I only have 8 insteon devices)
                            Jon Ort
                            JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

I turned on advanced debugging and this is all I get when issueing the all on group command created by the plugin.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime1 noWrap align=left>4/22/2006 11:55:25 AM </TD><TD class=LOGType1 align=left colSpan=3>Info </TD><TD class=LOGEntry1 align=left colSpan=8>Device: Global Insteon All Devices (#9) ON</TD></TR><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime0 noWrap align=left>4/22/2006 11:55:25 AM </TD><TD class=LOGType0 align=left colSpan=3>Insteon </TD><TD class=LOGEntry0 align=left colSpan=8>Processing SetIO for device - #9 Cmd: 2 Bright: 0 Data1: 0 Data2: 0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                              Thanks,

T.

Comment

Is it wise to avoid groups when possible?

Originally posted by Oman
                                The SDM tries 5 times internally for each command, and the plug-in tries 5 times on top of that for each 2-way command that is sent. There is only one chance with broadcast messages.

Jon
                                As I recall, SH was advising several of us both here and on "the other board" to use group commands instead of putting in a one or two second delay between each of several devices. This was in response to some questions about one or two lights in a multi-light / device not coming on reliably.

Based on what you're telling us here, Jon, it sounds like they gave us bad advice. I have several events that trigger a series of lights to come on when a motion sensor is tripped, usually along a path to some part of the property. It seems to make a lot more sense to have single two-way commands being sent than a group command if reliability is needed.

I guess I could see using group commands for scenes in a single room, where the effect of turning on all the lights at once is needed. But for many events, groups seem like the worst way we could go. Is my logic on track, or am I missing something?
                                Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Working...
                                X