No announcement yet.

Jon00 Bluetooth Proximity Detector V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. It looks like this is a common issue and I don't know if there is a fix for constant pairing. It tried this from a website here https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=0&tstart=0:

I realise this is an old topic, but it seems everyone has the wrong band-aid fix.

The correct fix is as follows:

The issue is that Windows doesn't recognise the iPhone as a Bluetooth Peripheral Device and cannot find the correct driver to download and install.

Follow the following steps:
    - First, you need to install the appropriate 'Windows Mobile Device Support' software for your version of windows (32 and 64 bit versions have different files to download). It may look like it didn't install in Windows 7, but that's ok. It did.
    - Turn on the bluetooth discovery mode on the iPhone.
    - Select 'Add a Device' in Devices and Printers, follow the instructions to connect and enter the 8 or 9 digit key into your iPhone.
    - Your iPhone should be found and automatically install all the software and drivers except for the Bluetooth Peripheral Device driver.
    - In Devices and Printers, right click the iPhone, select properties, and then the hardware tab.
    - The first device function should be 'HID-compliant consumer control device. Ensure it's selected.
    - Select Properties, and in the next window select 'update driver'
    - Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'
    - Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
    - Select 'Bluetooth Radio' from the left hand side listing
    - In the next window, select 'Microsoft Corporation' on the left, and 'Windows Mobile-based Device support' from the right side.
    - Install this option, clicking through the warnings and accepting this option.
    - Now you have the device driver installed, and your iPhone will be connected via Bluetooth when you need to pair it - great for file transfers and internet access without turning the radio on.

I hope this helps. This is the proper fix. Not the 'pressing two keys at the same time' or unchecking the option that only allows some features to be used.

Comment

I run Windows 7 64 bit and have paired both an iPhone 4 and a 4S.

you should not need, at any point, to enter a code from phone into PC or vice versa. both should pop up to show THE SAME CODE which is what you are accepting.

you are running a Microsoft BT stack aren't you?

for me, unticking a couple of the services as i described works fine. I am using the pairing solely to determine whether a phone is present or not so as long as there is enough of a pairing that the periodic probes can see the phone that should be fine.

When i get back to my PCs (monday) I will try the more heavyweight installation you found referenced and see whether it works as well.

Comment

What happens for me is that a code pops up on the computer and I am prompted to put it in my iphone. Forgive me, but how do I know if I'm running microsoft BT stack? I didn't download any bluetooth connecting software. Do I need to download microsoft BT stack or is it included with windows installation?

Comment

What version of windows 7 64 bit?) and of IOS (on the phone) are you running and which phone?

Comment

On one computer I'm using Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit SP 1, with an iphone 4s using version 5.1. On the other computer I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 with the same phone/version.

Comment

Simonog, I know you are going to be checking this out tomorrow but everywhere I have read talks about how pairing the iphone with windows 7 via bluetooth is not supported unless you have tethering provisioned on your phone. Do you have tethering provisioned? If so, that may explain why I can't pair.

Comment

Re converting Bluetooth devices from Decimal to MAC format

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                Whilst I expect it could be added via a small conversion routine, just interested why would you want this?
                Well, everywhere I look I see MAC addresses (at least Windows7) not decimal.
                Isn't this really all happening on the MAC layer anyway?

I'm a network person and am used to seeing IP's and MAC addresses.

But, who am I to request something, have not paid you one cent for all of your work! Taking care of this now, its a start anyway.

Thanks Jon00

Comment

Thanks very much. I'll make this an option on the next release.
                  Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
                    Simonog, I know you are going to be checking this out tomorrow but everywhere I have read talks about how pairing the iphone with windows 7 via bluetooth is not supported unless you have tethering provisioned on your phone. Do you have tethering provisioned? If so, that may explain why I can't pair.
                    My two phones are both with Vodafone in the UK and they automatically allow tethering in their version of IOS. Neither phone, however, has tethering turned on.

When I get a few minutes I will try to pair an iPad, which does not have tethering in the option set. As it runs the same IOS it should act as a cross check.

Simon

Comment

Sounds good but I tried pairing my iphone 4s and my wife's iphone 4 with those two windows versions this way to sunday and it was a no go. I have now had success by pairing my iphone 4s by pairing with the client. However, the bluetooth symbol doesn't highlight on my phone but it seems to track when I'm there. The other thing is that the feature that is supposed to ping wifi by putting the ip address in the config file isn't working because I've been out of range of my bluetooth but still on my wifi and it will say I'm away...

Comment

Jay,

I've had another user contact me via email and he has successfully paired his iPhone with Win 7. If he does not post himself, I will get the details.

As for the WiFi issue, this feature only works when bluetooth drops from home to away. When this happens it will then send a ping and if successful will keep the phone status as Home. This is repeated but only with this scenario. If both bluetooth and WiFi ping both fail, it sets the phone status to away. Nothing will happen again until the bluetooth detects the phone and registers it as home.

This feature was only put in as a means to trap the occasional drop-out, not as a network monitor.
                        Jon

Comment

Jay,

I've had another user contact me via email and he has successfully paired his iPhone with Win 7. If he does not post himself, I will get the details.

As for the WiFi issue, this feature only works when bluetooth drops from home to away. When this happens it will then send a ping and if successful will keep the phone status as Home. This is repeated but only with this scenario. If both bluetooth and WiFi ping both fail, it sets the phone status to away. Nothing will happen again until the bluetooth detects the phone and registers it as home.

This feature was only put in as a means to trap the occasional drop-out, not as a network monitor.
                          I see. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
                            I see. Thanks.
                            Hopefully with the research you have done (thanks btw) and others successfully pairing the iphone with Win 7, we can get a definitive method to do this.
                            Jon

Comment

Jay,

Does this reflect the issues you are seeing?

http://www.question-defense.com/2010...e-driver-issue
                              Jon

Comment

Jay,

Does this reflect the issues you are seeing?

http://www.question-defense.com/2010...e-driver-issue
                                Yes it is and that is similar to other posts I have seen on the subject. Unfortunately, although that resolved the driver exclamation point issue, I still couldn't pair with windows. Everything I've read on the subject suggests that without tethering provisioned on the iphone you can't pair. That said, I just successfully paired an iphone 4 now as well as the iphone 4s using the client. It is interesting that the bluetooth icon on either iphone doesn't light up but the client is tracking and once out of range (like turning the phone off) it appropriately senses this.

Off subject, I was thinking of getting that Aircable XR3 thing. What kind of range would I get with that? I was a little worried about 18 miles as that me think I'm home fairly often. For instance, I don't want my gargage door opening 1/2 hour before I'm home.

Comment

Working...
                                X