Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried IsSpeaking Plugin, but no go

Hi,

I tried installing the IsSpeaking plugin and it installed with no problems, but none of my hs.speak commands will work (which means there is no speaking happening). When I remove the plugin and restart HS, my speaking works fine again.

Anyone else having this problem? I am using HS 1.7 and the newest IsSpeaking plugin in the updater.

I have removed the plugin until I figure out why it is causing this.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Bob,

It has been a while so I don't remember the details, but look to see if some documentation got installed along with the plugin. You have to create some virtual devices, and at least one event to enable speech.

Although it works OK, IsSpeaking was really not much more than a proof of concept. Check out the SpeakEasy plugin. What exactly are you wanting to do?

Bill

Comment

I'm working on getting a 1.1 version of SpeakEasy posted to the updater. Rick shared some of the IsSpeaking internals and SpeakEasy now supports a majority of the IsSpeaking methods including the IsSpeaking method.

As soon as I get the documentation cleaned up I'll post the new version to the updater. As Bill said, Blade, what exactly are you trying to do. The current version of SpeakEasy may already have that in it.

George

Comment

Just would like the ability to know if HS is speaking.

George, what other cool things could I do with the SpeakEasy plugin?

I am curious. Can you provide any examples?
        Cheers,
        Bob
        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Stop over in the SpeakEasy forum and take a look. The docs are posted seperately in the forum so you can download the pdf file and look at the the features it has.

It can control speaking, queue speech until later, handle priority messages, handle switching speakers if you have multiple speakers in your house and any one of a number of speaker switching methods, do dynamic dictionary word and phrase substitution, play an attention 'wav' file before speaking if the message is important, and many many more things.

1.1 will have the IsSpeaking methods in there and if they are important for you I'll get my butt in gear and finish up the docs and get it posted.

Let me know if you have any questions after you look at the doc.

George

Comment

Bob,

It was a FBKAC.

The documentation mentions that IsSpeaking (new version) implements the speak proxy, and that there is a script command to disable it, get the speak text that is in the queue, etc.

What happened is that you installed the plug-in, and everything that was spoken was trapped and put into a queue.

It works fine, but SpeakEasy is a superset of the IsSpeaking functionality, so you may be happier with that anyway.
            Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
            X