Monitoring 12 volt batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring 12 volt batteries

Something wrong with the charge circuit on my natural gas generator right now. I noticed that it missed its self test and sure enough the battery is dead. The question is: what is the best way to monitor battery voltage in homeseer? I have inputs on my alarm panel but they are not built for 12 volts. Same with the ADIO - it is only rated for 10 VDC. Ideally, I would like to be able to monitor the actual voltage and not just a trigger at a certain threshold. Ideas?

Here's a neat little kit that you could connect the speaker output to an X10 univeral module or powerflash (can't remember which one does low voltage) or even a Z-Wave door/window sensor to alert you via HomeSeer.
    http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/FK915
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Not sure if this discussion would help:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/1...terys-voltage/

I get an actual voltage from the battery on the HAI OPII panel/HS plugin. On the secondary panel I have a connection to the primary panel with just triggers an NO switch if the voltage on the battery on the secondary panel drops. I also have NO/NC circuits on the whole house surge protector should the voltage spike.

Here is an Arduino discussion revolving around similiar topics.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,6540.0.html
      Last edited by Pete; December 10, 2012, 08:54 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Could you not do it with a potential divider? If you had the top resistor as 20k and the bottom as 100k then you would have:

Battery voltage - input voltage - approx digital value

12v = 10v = 255 (if 8 bit)
        9v = 7.5v = 192
        6v = 5v = 128
        3v = 2.5v = 64

In HS then you run a simple script that converts the AtoD value into a voltage.

Not sure whether there are additional things to think of like if the battery is connected to something else (the generator starter), someone a bit more electronically minded might be able to offer an opinion.

Comment

Thanks for all of the quick replies. I think that the voltage divider is probably the route I'll go. Seems pretty easy and I get actual info about the state of the charge. I could probably even determine if the charger was charging or not. Usually they charge at something like 14 volts (or more). I suppose to get enough range I should build it for something like 15 volts so a 50k top reisistor and a 100k bottom should work great.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
          X